• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doctor Who is back!!

#41 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:45 AM

I suppose there's always the time agents...and remember that the Master would have had as much time as he liked to set something up for a clone daughter, including (I assume) some form of time travel device if he'd wanted to.

I'm not entirely sure that it would tie in, because although it would be possible for the Master to have cloned the Doctor, I don't see why he'd want to.

I guess it wouldn't have to be genetic material obtained from the hand, anyway. The Doctor has been plenty of places, and will no doubt have left ample quantities of DNA about the place. It's possible that some advanced people who knew about the Doctor's Timelordness obtained a tissue sample of some kind and spliced the DNA fragments with some woman's. That would probably be sufficient for the Hand to detect it...maybe even strong enough to cause the Tardis to jump spontaneously?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

It's interesting to note that in the series 2 episode "Fear Her" the Doctor said "I was a dad once". So while it would make more sense if she was made from his genetic material, I have a feeling not....just cause he seems to recognize her.

The best news is that the hot ass girl who plays her is Georgia Moffat, who is the real life daughter of Peter Davidson (the 5th Doctor). So effectively, we get the Doctor's Daughter, played by.....the Doctors daughter.

Oh yeah, and Rose on the screen screaming Doctor was another little brilliant nod towards her return. Loves it!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

The best part from that episode had to be the "Are you my mummy?" line though :cool:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#44 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

Yeah that was good, although I didnt really like that episode- creepy, yes, but how many times can someone say "are you my mummy" before you want to gouge your ears out.

#45 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

For anyone who didn't see the teaser for The Doctor's Daughter, it's on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDV0qRjyGvM...C304A73&index=1

I must say, the "Hath" look rather Ood-esque.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#46 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

Well, that was a cop-out! I was expecting some sort of seedy doctor-sneakily-went-to-a-space-brothel-20-years-ago storyline.

Pleased with the ending though, fairly good episode in that it sets all that up. Loved the hath, thought they were cool- felt so sorry for that poor bastard who dies rescuing that dozy tart!

Next week's looks teh awesome though, a Doctor Who Agatha Christie Murder Mystery! :D

#47 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:32 AM

I was slightly miffed they didn't produce a whole batch of Timelord-soldier-clone-child-of-Doctor thingies, that would have been awesome. Still, despite the slightly predictable bit where Jenny takes the bullet, 'twas a good episode. Just wish that it had been Donna to take it instead so that the Doctor would have been free to go about his travels with someone slightly less annoying (and better looking :D). And I like the fact they kept Jenny alive for possible future meetups - way too much potential in her relationship with the Doctor to make her a single episode peculiarity.

A couple of things that annoyed me were that Martha could understand the Hath (*bubble bubble bubble*) - no way she could have twigged to emotions etc. that quickly, and that they never really gave an adequate explanation for why the Tardis took them there in the first place. It sounded like it was something to do with the hand, but it was only something vague about paradoxes...

Next week should be interesting...I wonder if they're trying to slate the Doctor as the inspiration for Inspector Japp or something? I think it's a bit much to make him Poirot :p...

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#48 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

Watched an episode of this show last night, pretty strange yet entertaining.

I'll have to keep checking it out, it's on the Sci Fi Channel here.

#49 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:11 AM

Just out of curiousity Xander, what was ep you watched about?

Sir Thursday

#50 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:12 AM

Planet of the Oods, I believe.

#51 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:22 AM

Ah, a recent one then! It's worth starting with some of the earlier episodes if you can - Catherine Tate as Donna is rather annoying to the vast majority of people I've spoken to which dampens the shows appeal somewhat. While all three series have their moments, the best episodes in my opinion are to be found in the second half of Season 3 (from Human Nature onwards).

Sir Thursday

#52 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:29 AM

So what is the basic premise, Sir Thursday?

I want to learn! :D

#53 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

The end of Series 3 is certainly very good :D

Basically, the Doctor is a Time Lord, and he owns the Tardis, which can travel through time and space. All the other Time Lords are dead, after the Time War with the Daleks, who are recurring villains. He, and almost always a companion, go around battling aliens intent on some sort of nefarious scheme or other... it's rather good really:)

#54 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:47 AM

Thanks Brood, have some man rep :D

Yeah I may have to start Tivo'ing this show....i need a good Sci-Fi series.

#55 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, you can split the shows into three different types:

Historical - where the Doctor and companion go back to see some famous character or event in history and invariably find there's some sort of alien/supernatural presence hanging around doing evil and thwart it.

Modern - where some aliens have decided to harass London (occasionally the whole world, but normally they base their schemes there) and some thwartation is required.

Futuristic - Doctor and friend visit something spectacular/accidentally end up somewhere nasty out in the galaxy somewhere and find that thwartication is necessary in some fashion.

So basically, a lot of thwarting, mixed in with the occasional accident that must be put to rights. The divisions are what you would expect given the nature of the Tardis, but most of the time the show tries to avoid having to deal with continuity and time loop problems. It seems that bad things happen if you create a paradox.

It should be pointed out that it was renewed in 2005, as opposed to started. Doctor Who ran for 26 seasons from '63 to '89. Before it was cancelled, the Doctor was not the last of the Time Lords but merely one of many. The show was restarted with the premise that all the others had been killed.

Overall it's a fun show, light and entertaining. Don't expect too much gritty realism, because you won't find it here (it's broadcast at 7:00 or recently 6:30 here, so it's aimed at all demographics), but romps through time and space in a police box that's bigger on the inside it has in gloriously high supply.

Sir Thursday

#56 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

To be ridiculously picky, the show was restarted with the premise that the Doctor thought he was the last of the Time Lords.

Also, anyone else want to complain that when Jennie re-generated she didn't change physical forms? Or am I being slightly sad now?

#57 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

No, I agree, it confused me. Although I wouldnt say I was annoyed, as shes hot. :D

#58 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Thelomen Toblerone;306163 said:

No, I agree, it confused me. Although I wouldnt say I was annoyed, as shes hot. :D

ah, the instinctive response of sci-fi geeks (myself included) when faced with a logically improbably plotline involving a female actress - "Who cares, she's hot!"
meh. Link was dead :(

#59 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

The Dark Wanderer;306145 said:

To be ridiculously picky, the show was restarted with the premise that the Doctor thought he was the last of the Time Lords.

Also, anyone else want to complain that when Jennie re-generated she didn't change physical forms? Or am I being slightly sad now?

YANA :D

I was very happy that she didn't change, personally... I smell spin-off series (and lets face it, it could hardly be worse than Torchwood). And it could kind of be explained away by the fact that she was not neccessarily a proper Time Lord. Being a slightly-altered clone, as it were.

Sir Thursday said:

but most of the time the show tries to avoid having to deal with continuity and time loop problems. It seems that bad things happen if you create a paradox.

Not neccesarily. It appears that there are different levels of paradox. For example, the enormous paradox the Master converted the TARDIS for at the end of series three was equally impossible to the one in Blink (the one with the weeping angels). It's just all wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey stuff that goes "bing" :p

#60 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

What's funny about that episode is that the actress playing the part of Jenny is actually the daughter of a former Time Lord (Peter Davison : the fifth doctor).

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users