• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ICE's next book: "Dancer's Lament"

#1 User is offline   Golly 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:32 AM

From Steve's AMA this morning:

Cam is presently working on the first novel of Early Empire (well, pre-Empire, in fact), called Dancer's Lament (nice title).

http://www.reddit.co..._please/cker229

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

I don't know whether to be squealing with joy or screaming in terror.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

Pee your pants, then decide the "why" of it afterward.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

But I would counter, if the setting becomes a character, then two is actually three, so piss off.

This made my day :p
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#5 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

The title suggests a more "Night of Knives" approach, rather than a multiple PoV one (I know there's two PoVs in NoK, but still...)

Either way, I'm happy he's continuing - NoK showed he can do prequel stuff well.

This post has been edited by Kanubis: 11 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#6 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

Awesome, can't wait.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#7 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

I'm looking forward to this - great title too.

ICE did such a great job with NoK and it's obvious from Assail that he's really finding his own pace and style.
I also think the freedom to write outside, or rather prior to the main story arc's of MBOTF, might be liberating in a way that wasn't possible with his other books, given that character and placement isn't such an issue.
So Yay!, go ICE - you got the tools, now go and have some fun with it :p

This post has been edited by Hetan (Also Actually Probably Mal): 11 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#8 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

can't wait for this, I enjoyed all the ICE books in their own right and especially loved NoK. Can't wait or more history and more ICE! :p
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#9 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

I've always thought a prequel was a good idea for this series, especially with Dancer and Kellanved being the main focus. The rise to power and the acquiring of the Imass throne should be pretty cool to see.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#10 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostCapedCrusader, on 11 September 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

I've always thought a prequel was a good idea for this series, especially with Dancer and Kellanved being the main focus. The rise to power and the acquiring of the Imass throne should be pretty cool to see.

If that is in fact where he's going with it. I would be leary of developing any preconceptions about the material...
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

Have to admit feeling a little trepidation about ICE doing this, but on the other hand I'm always excited for any new Malaz.

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 11 September 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostCapedCrusader, on 11 September 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

I've always thought a prequel was a good idea for this series, especially with Dancer and Kellanved being the main focus.

If that is in fact where he's going with it. I would be leary of developing any preconceptions about the material...

Yeah, I think a lot of people thought NoK would be "The Adventures of K&D That Will Totally Answer Your Questions" but it turned out to be something totally different
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

The problem I have is that Forge of Darkness

Spoiler

What happens when Esslemont starts revealing what lies behind the rumors and memories of the Empires beginning?

I feel like the series currently is starting to run out of mysteries. Instead of creating new questions, too much light is being shinned on what we didn't know before. The question is, do we really need to know these things?

As a fan service I can see the idea of it but I don't know. I've never been a big fan of prequels. Giving the series a break and coming back with material for a new series would be healthier I feel.

EDIT: I appologize to those who hadn't read FOD dark yet, didn't realise that this was the new reader sub-forum.

This post has been edited by Apt: 12 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

#13 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

I have high hopes for this book :p

#14 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostApt, on 11 September 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

I've never been a big fan of prequels. Giving the series a break and coming back with material for a new series would be healthier I feel.

I agree with you in a way.. Steve has had so much fun with Willful Child (and it is brilliant) after the end of that slog (MBotF), and I think in a way that maybe that's what ICE should do - write something for himself. We don't know, but this might be his way to let rip and have fun - and we do know that it worked really well before.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#15 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

I want ICE to write Dancer's Lament as a pre-Empire book but in secret, and in public pretend it's a touching story of a ballet dancer called Ropunzel putting his life back together after a horrific knee injury leaves him unable to ever dance again, and the subsequent career he takes up in middle management and the co-ownership of a successful cocktail bar with his friends, Kel Anders, Sue Lee and Des Ultron. And I mean posting excerpts with a straight face.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#16 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

View PostApt, on 11 September 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

The problem I have is that Forge of Darkness completely deflated the legendary origins of the
Spoiler

I hadn't yet read FoD, and this is really disappointing :p

I loved the
Spoiler
theory.

Also, you should probably spoiler tag your post.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 12 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

#17 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

They might still be that. We don't know yet also the story in FoD is being told by one poet to another, thousands of years after the fact - once again unreliable narrator is in full force.

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 September 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

I hadn't yet read FoD, and this is really disappointing :p

Also, you should probably spoiler tag your post.

Sorry about that. The book is still really interesting. There's some crazy revelations in the book. It's just not what we imagined.

#19 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

When is it ever?

#20 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

I thought FOD was awesome, and was really annoyed when I run out of book lol. I can't wait for more Malaz, I don't think anything has disappointed me yet, apart from having to wait soooooo long for more Karsa ofc! And when characters die, that makes me a sad sad panda, but without it, the books wouldn't be as epic...damned highs and lows. NoK proves that ICE can do prequel in an awesome way, and I think Assail is another step up, that can only prove a good thing for more books. I think this series is big enough to have infinite revelations and mysteries, and there is so much in it, that no number of books will ever reveal all the shrouds. Hell, they could probably do a whole book, on one 7 cities city, and it would still be epic. I mean, we have a book entirely in Durahstan (sorry for the spelling) more or less. So yeah, I might be more easily pleased but I WANT MORE! :p
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users