• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7941 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:34 PM

Average. Sometimes fun, sometimes downright stupid and not in a good way. Afleck was a good batman though.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7942 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:20 PM

I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it a lot and aside from some minor issues....quite entertaining. It's dark and bleak...an anti-marvel flick really.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7943 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 March 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it a lot and aside from some minor issues....quite entertaining. It's dark and bleak...an anti-marvel flick really.

BvS and QT sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7944 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

Watched Bat vs Supes yesterday. It was okay. Not terrible. Not great. Not better than Nolan's Batman but better than Schumacher's. Not better than Man of Steel but better than Superman Returns.

Which is fine really because the film is supposed to be about the clash, not the stories of the individual heroes. However, the actual story feels like an excuse for a fight, rather than an organic progression. I think Superman, Batman and 3rd hero worked great but Lex Luthor was terrible. Just awful. Why they went with that casting, that performance I will never understand.

And I stand by my anger during the release of Star Wars. The trailers for this film completely spoil everything about the story. The best parts of this film can be watched in a trailer for 0 dollars.

About the ending:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Apt: 31 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

#7945 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostApt, on 31 March 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

About the ending:

Spoiler

Wait, you're expecting logic and consistency in a superhero flick? I think that would be the greatest trick of all to pull off.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7946 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

No I actually think that is very logical. The whole "I don't kill people" is cute in a comic book. But these DC films have been a lot more grounded and dark. I have no problems accepting the idea that Batman and Superman occasionally crush the life out of somebody. It's just a big departure from established lore.

#7947 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

Meh, I just ask for logic and consistency within it's own established milieu. It's once they start diverging wildly from that is when I get the shits.

Looking at you here, George Lucas.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7948 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostApt, on 31 March 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Watched Bat vs Supes yesterday. It was okay. Not terrible. Not great. Not better than Nolan's Batman but better than Schumacher's. Not better than Man of Steel but better than Superman Returns.

Which is fine really because the film is supposed to be about the clash, not the stories of the individual heroes. However, the actual story feels like an excuse for a fight, rather than an organic progression. I think Superman, Batman and 3rd hero worked great but Lex Luthor was terrible. Just awful. Why they went with that casting, that performance I will never understand.

And I stand by my anger during the release of Star Wars. The trailers for this film completely spoil everything about the story. The best parts of this film can be watched in a trailer for 0 dollars.

About the ending:

Spoiler

A few counters.

1. There wasn't an organic progression to the fight because it was orchestrated from day one by Lex (recall he's basically been keeping tabs on all the metahumans he can get his claws on). Bruce and Clark had issues with each others alter egos...but it doesn't come to blows till Lex sets that in motion. It's supposed to feel pushed/fake I think.

2. I think they went for that casting because they wanted Lex Luthor by way of Mark Zuckerberg. Someone who seems very dot-com-y and fresh and has a company with brightly coloured letters like Google...only to show that simmering under the surface is a rage-hole. I think the idea is that cold, calculating Lex is coated in this glossy, veneer of bubblegummy jolly rancher-y rich media kid. If I'm honest I think they pulled it off, but I was glad they didn't go for the old school atypical Lex. This felt like more fun...but overall the sadistic, cold Lex from the second half of the flick is VERY much in line with his comics incarnation...especially in the New52.

3. I still don't think they gave everything away in the trailers. In fact the majority of the Bats/Supes brawl is not even IN the trailers...they were edited to make you think that parts of the 3rd act fight are the Supes/Bats fight, but they are not.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7949 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

I'm sorry Quick, but in regards to
Spoiler

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7950 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 31 March 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

I'm sorry Quick, but in regards to
Spoiler

Spoiler

#7951 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:07 AM

I liked Chappie a lot, from beginning to end.
Error: Signature not valid

#7952 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

Saw THE JUNGLE BOOK last night. Excellent film. They do a wonderful job of making a live action version of the story that has beats from both the animated Disney verison (including two songs) and the original Kipling book. The voice acting is ALL top notch, with Idris Elba, Lupita N'yongo, Ben Kingsley, and Bill Murray especially standing out as excellent. Walken is a bit lost as King Louis...but he was funny so that makes up for it. Yeah, if you like this story at all, you'll like Favreau's flick.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

#7953 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 April 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Saw THE JUNGLE BOOK last night. Excellent film. They do a wonderful job of making a live action version of the story that has beats from both the animated Disney verison (including two songs) and the original Kipling book. The voice acting is ALL top notch, with Idris Elba, Lupita N'yongo, Ben Kingsley, and Bill Murray especially standing out as excellent. Walken is a bit lost as King Louis...but he was funny so that makes up for it. Yeah, if you like this story at all, you'll like Favreau's flick.

I'll probably see this at some point, if not in the cinema, but I'm totes maaaaad that this forced Andy Serkis' version to be pushed back by two years.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7954 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

I'm doing a Fast and Furious marathon.

Just about through the first film. It's hard for me to express just how much I hate car culture as it's presented in this film. Or perhaps more precisely street racing/sports car enthusiasts. I just hate everything about these assholes and their fucking attitude and their stupid bullshit cars. Betting money they don't have on races that make no sense.

I just can't separate the responsible part of my brain from the action on the screen. Instead of thinking "Man, that's a cool street race", the sensible part of my brain is thinking doing 200 km/h down a city street is ridiculously irresponsible. I hope they crash into a lamp post and donate their organs to a better person.

Still, there is something there. Something about the comradery. The way of life. Ride or die. Yadda, yadda. I've been listening to the Kinda Funny podcast going on about this series for years. Saying its all about family. I can see that. From what I recall the second and third films are sort of crap but I want to get to the later films to get in on the pop culture references.

This post has been edited by Apt: 17 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

#7955 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostApt, on 17 April 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

From what I recall the second and third films are sort of crap but I want to get to the later films to get in on the pop culture references.

Watch the Starsky and Hutch movie just before the second one. It somehow managed to be a spot-on parody of a film it was made at exactly the same time as. It'll make 2 more enjoyable.

3 is poor but has awesome race scenes and Han. 2 and 4 are the ones that commit the sin of the driving action being crap.

#7956 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

I tried to watch it once. I got to the "What is this guy, sandwich crazy or something?" line and had to turn it off cuz i was laughing too hard. Doesn't help that Paul Walker (though he seemed like a genuinely very nice guy irl) is perhaps the single worst actor I've ever seen, and that's clear even in a movie where he acts alongside Vin Diesel.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7957 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

On the fourth now. It's better than 2 and 3 but I suspect it also has twice the budget. It's certainly better written although terribly cliche.

2 and 3 weren't actually that bad... from a B movie perspective. The writing is atrocious, both in terms of plot and dialogue, but the action works and they follow tried and tested formulas. I've got to admit that the driving scene just seemed very cool and stylish in Tokyo Drift. Although it got really dumb when the Yakuza suddenly got involved.

#7958 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

The 3rd one is just Karate Kid with cars. I do enjoy it.

I hate 4, but as I said above that's mostly for the awful driving scenes.

Five is the bees bollocks though.

#7959 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

I've reached 6 now and I agree it is pretty amazing.

I think The Rock somehow put on even more mass between 5 and 6. He's gigantic!

I think the significant change that happens between 4 and 5 is that it stops being these crime centered racing films and instead juts becomes good movies. It's more buddy team goes on an adventure. More heist than chase and it makes the films more fun.

It of course also helps that the budgets are 10 times as large and the manuscript writers are allowed to have fun.

I still get angry every time I hear grown, serious men say "bro" though.

This post has been edited by Apt: 17 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

#7960 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostApt, on 17 April 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

I think the significant change that happens between 4 and 5 is that it stops being these crime centered racing films and instead juts becomes good movies. It's more buddy team goes on an adventure. More heist than chase and it makes the films more fun.

That's because 5 was based on the script for what was originally going to be the Brazilian Job, the sequel to the Italian Job remake.

Officially this is unconfirmed, but it's unbelievably obvious if you've seen said remake.

I think 5 is the best so far, but 5, 6 and 7 are all spectacular. Nonsense, but coherent and most importantly fun nonsense.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users