• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7901 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

I watched Deadpool yesterday. I had very little in the way of expectations, but I loved this movie. It was genuinely hilarious, and I do hope that the seeming success of the movie will lead to a sequel.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7902 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

I think they already have Deadpool 2 greenlit.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7903 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

They greenlit a sequel before it even actually came out, which was nice
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7904 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:12 AM

Saw The Witch. Pretty fantastic. It's not as "scary" as I expected, but it's effectively creepy through and through (and added blessing: zero jump scares). There are some images from the film that are gonna last with me a long time. Some pretty great performances, young and old alike.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7905 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostDumbledude, on 22 February 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

Saw The Witch. Pretty fantastic. It's not as "scary" as I expected, but it's effectively creepy through and through (and added blessing: zero jump scares). There are some images from the film that are gonna last with me a long time. Some pretty great performances, young and old alike.

If you are ever curious, apparently they shot it in a little old northern Ontario ghost town called Kiosk. It's located on the northernmost edge of the vast wilderness of Algonquin Park. It's creepy as hell apparently just to visit.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7906 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

That sounds awesome. Visit there overnight and report back to us in the morning.

#7907 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

He'll be right back.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7908 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:47 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 February 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

If you are ever curious, apparently they shot it in a little old northern Ontario ghost town called Kiosk. It's located on the northernmost edge of the vast wilderness of Algonquin Park. It's creepy as hell apparently just to visit.

Isn't 99% of Canada like that?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7909 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 February 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 February 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

Isn't 99% of Canada like that?

It's probably more like 75%...but yeah. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7910 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:16 AM

So did anyone watch the Academy Awards? Leo finally won, I was very happy that Spotlight won, but most of the jokes were rather lame.

#7911 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

View PostBriar King, on 29 February 2016 - 06:09 AM, said:

Anyone watch Room? I never heard of it till tonight

Me neither.

#7912 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

I've read the book...pretty good. Very translatable into a movie. I've heard only good reviews for it and Brie Larson is a killer actress.

#7913 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:33 PM

Watched SAN ANDREAS over the weekend. MUCH better than I thought it would be actually. Sure it's less than believable, and there is some heavy doses of cheese...but overall a SOLID disaster flick.

And I just heard they are looking at making a sequel that will focus more globally on the entire Ring of Fire. Which would be cool. Anyways, great fun. An enjoyable afternoon rental if you are in the mood.

#7914 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:38 AM

That's pretty much exactly as I expected.

I watched The Good Dinosaur. Heard it was on the kiddy side for Pixar, and I suppose it was, but it was also very funny and even thrilling, and not condescending. I liked The Croods quite a bit, but this was even better (though not as manically weird).

Also watched Minions. I suppose if you have kids you probably reached max saturation long ago, but I don't and haven't, and so I kinda liked it. It's not important in any way, but neither were the Despicable Me movies. Kinda just solid B/B- goofs.

#7915 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:57 AM

Minions was real bad. The biggest problem with it was that they took large chunks of time not focusing on the Minions.

Should have made them crash landed aliens who work with evil geniuses in order to get home. That allows them to work Gru & Co back in for a sequel and opens up the universe sandbox.

But noooooo.... It's a disappointment to me because I really liked the Despicable Me movies.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7916 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:00 AM

I would say I "chuckled" at them all in about equal measure.

#7917 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

For the record, I have a high tolerance for idiocy and sometimes find the opportunity for indifference to be a plus, not a minus. I suppose Minions was worse than the DMs on a lot of levels, especially once the plot kicks in, but I found the Minions themselves to be goofy fun throughout.

#7918 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:25 PM

New GHOSTBUSTERS trailer. Presented without comment.

#7919 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:21 AM

Finally saw 47 RONIN, and it wasn't too bad at all. I mean you can fully tell that Hiryoki Sanada's Oishi character is MEANT to be the lead and the producers forced reshoots to beef up Keanu's part (not sure why, Sanada has enough charisma for 10 movies) including a bit of a tacked on love story instead. But otherwise this was lots of fun. The classical samurai bits were great, the more fantastical bits are basically live-action anime, and the overall tone is solid. I'd like to have seen what the film would have looked like before the producers meddled, and with a defter hand in the eidting room...but it's not AWFUL...just a missed opportunity to have created a classic....instead of a fun B-movie.

#7920 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

Finally saw IN THE HEART OF THE SEA, and in the end enjoyed it.

The first half is a lot of posturing, and a slow cooker plot...but hr second half is really quite.

Not sure I liked the cinematography (which is odd cause I like the cinematographer himself for his other films), which cast everything in muted greens, and blues and yellows...which gave it an otherworldy sheen...which may have been the point, but I was not into that.

Great stuff.

Though getting two Irishmen (Brendan Gleeson, and Cilian Murphy), An Aussie (Hemsworth), three Brits (Tom Holland, Ben Wishaw, and Joseph Mawle) all to speak in a bastardized 19th century East Coast (Nantucket) American accent ends up as one of the more funny accent messes I've seen in a film. I mean ever single actor in this (barring the American who plays the actual Captain) is hamstringed by Ron Howard's seeming desire to give them all this weird Nantucket accent.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users