• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7981 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:28 PM

View PostOponn Relationship, on 23 April 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 April 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

DREDD > THE RAID

This is Satan's opinion.

It's the opinion of the sane.

THE RAID is fantastic, DREDD is simply better.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7982 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:44 PM

I've crunched the numbers. Dredd is about as good as The Raid 2, and both are about 78.3% as good as the first Raid.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7983 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

None of that is true, you west coast hipster.

;)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7984 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:00 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 April 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 23 April 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

Crank 2 is a top 10 action movie of the last decade. It's on a level with Dredd, John Wick, Fury Road, and the rest are a bit below in my opinion.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you just haven't seen The Raid yet.

DREDD > THE RAID

The Raid is very good, but it's not on the level of the above movies.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7985 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Ha! I'll have you know that under zero circumstances have I ever been considered hip by anybody...so I'm taking that as a compliment.

#7986 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:21 PM

Hipsters are not hip....it's a reversal, like calling a short guy stretch ;)

#7987 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 April 2016 - 11:21 PM, said:

Hipsters are not hip....it's a reversal, like calling a short guy stretch ;)

Unless, of course, you've had hip replacement surgery, then you're most certainly a hip hip hipster.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7988 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 April 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

View PostOponn Relationship, on 23 April 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

DREDD > THE RAID

This is Satan's opinion.

It's the opinion of the sane.

THE RAID is fantastic, DREDD is simply better.

I love Dredd, but I just adore The Raid's sheer relentless focus and purity.

Of course, the fact that Dredd has more to it than just the action is a perfectly good reason to prefer it over The Raid, but there's nothing quite like The Raid and that lifts it for me.

They're not really that similar, despite both stealing their central premise from The Horde.

Of course, that's why Fury Road is the best of the lot*, because it manages to marry The Raid's purity of purpose with Dredd's myth-making and storytelling.

Apart from Kick-Ass. ;)
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7989 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:54 PM

Kick-Ass doesn't belong on the top 25 list of best action movies in last ten years.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7990 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

Speaking of, watched Mad Max: Fury Road last night, finally. What a bonkers and utterly brilliant film!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7991 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

View Postamphibian, on 24 April 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

Kick-Ass doesn't belong on ANY of the top 25 list of best action movies in last ten years ANYTHING.

FTFY

#7992 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

I watched The Hateful Eight. What a boring movie.

The first third is boring because nothing is happening. Second third is boring because you know what is going to happen. Last third is pretty cool but for fucks sake there's only one way this is going to end.

Like always Tarantino's film is saved by excellent casting and entertaining dialogue but seriously this is the worst he's done since Kill Bill part 2 or maybe Jackie Brown.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Apt: 25 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

#7993 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

View PostApt, on 25 April 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

I watched The Hateful Eight. What a boring movie.

The first third is boring because nothing is happening. Second third is boring because you know what is going to happen. Last third is pretty cool but for fucks sake there's only one way this is going to end.

Like always Tarantino's film is saved by excellent casting and entertaining dialogue but seriously this is the worst he's done since Kill Bill part 2 or maybe Jackie Brown.

Spoiler

Tarantino is and always has been a one-note wonder. He can make one type of film and only one. The only things that change up between his films are dialogue and the overall story structure and arc. The rest of them are literally carbon copies of one another (made worse by his repeated use of the same actors), with a new sheen on them.

It's usually this: Long talking sequence -> Action sequence with cartoonish blood -> Long talking sequence, this time with tension -> Mexican standoff followed by violence with cartoonish blood -> More Talking -> action packed ending (cartoonish blood).

There's no atmosphere. No attention to anything other than words he himself wrote (the guy is a blowhard who likes the sound of his own voice) and his penchant for 70's style gore and action.

The Hateful Eight was him attempting to make a Peckinpah film with literally NONE of the talent of verve with which to do so.

I usually still give his films a chance (I like a few of them...usually for dialogue) but they almost always just make me realize how one-note he is. Hell, the episode of CSI he directed and wrote even feels like one of his films.

How he maintains this cult status of director is beyond me. His skills are weak.

#7994 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:51 PM

View Postamphibian, on 24 April 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

Kick-Ass does belong at the top of the top 25 list of best action movies in last ten years.

I agree and so does QT.

I mostly think that Tarantino's pretty ace as a director even if he's a dick of a man, but Hateful 8 indulged all his worst tendencies and was very poor.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7995 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

I've never even thought of Kick-Ass as an action movie. Hmm.

#7996 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

View Postamphibian, on 18 April 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 April 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Saw THE JUNGLE BOOK last night. Excellent film. They do a wonderful job of making a live action version of the story that has beats from both the animated Disney verison (including two songs) and the original Kipling book. The voice acting is ALL top notch, with Idris Elba, Lupita N'yongo, Ben Kingsley, and Bill Murray especially standing out as excellent. Walken is a bit lost as King Louis...but he was funny so that makes up for it. Yeah, if you like this story at all, you'll like Favreau's flick.

This movie is indeed good, much better than the 1967 cartoon.

I do wish Baloo, Bagheera, and Raksha were Bollywood actor voices though. Walken was perfect as King Louie and Elba rippled his way into making Shere Khan more believable and menacing.

What makes Walken good is his vocal delivery of the fixation on power and his animators actually put a few of his real life expressions in the Giganthopecus (spelling?). It was very Brooklyn mobster/Godfather like and that's a much better delivery of Louie than before.

The scenery is gorgeous. They cheated a little in bringing that diverse wildlife to central India, but the animals are mostly right (some are sized up dramatically). Elephants really do appear out of the jungle mist like that. Dropped my jaw when I saw it in real life two years ago.

Took the kids to see this. It really is a very good movie - although they may have made Louie a bit too creepy; and even though I like Elba I don't think his voice matched the superb looking Khan on the screen.. I could just hear Elba in front of a mic. Maybe not quite deep enough? I'm sure with voice acting they could have found someone with a deep, gravelly voice with an Indian accent that would have been way more fitting.

And, to me, the kid sounds like a double of Jake Lloyd in Sw Ep1. I kept expecting him to say something about podracing.

Really, really good looking movie though, nicely adapted from the cartoon. Possibly a bit on the violent side for littlies.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#7997 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

I watched Drive. The Nicolas Winding Refn film with Ryan Gosling.

What a weird movie. It's like watching an action film on sleeping pills. It's so slow and low energy. When there is action the music and camera work makes it feel heavy and pondering. Like a dream becoming a nightmare. I can't really get a read on Goslings character the driver. He almost seems autistic but also very skilled and in control.
The action is crazy. Clinical. Brutal. Spectacularly unspectacular. Did I say it was brutal?

Fucking weird film.

#7998 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 April 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

How he maintains this cult status of director is beyond me. His skills are weak.

I think there are two reasons.

1. He doesn't make movie that often. When he does they are usually surrounding by some kind of special buzz. Like Hateful 8 where he filmed in what ever weird format it was and insisted it has to be watched a certain way, etc. His nerdiness is fascinating.

2. The films all use a particularly good formula. He selects great/noteable actors, he puts them in crazy scenarios and he writes fascinating dialogue for them. It works. I was bored watching the Hateful 8 because the story went nowhere and telegraphed everything but I kept watching because damn those characters were interesting.

#7999 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostApt, on 29 April 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

I watched Drive. The Nicolas Winding Refn film with Ryan Gosling.

What a weird movie. It's like watching an action film on sleeping pills. It's so slow and low energy. When there is action the music and camera work makes it feel heavy and pondering. Like a dream becoming a nightmare. I can't really get a read on Goslings character the driver. He almost seems autistic but also very skilled and in control.
The action is crazy. Clinical. Brutal. Spectacularly unspectacular. Did I say it was brutal?

Fucking weird film.

And DRIVE is arguably the most tolerable and approachable of his films...the rest of his film repertoire reads like a study in an Indie film director gone completely insane (not like Lars Von Trier insane, but close). This even affected Gosling, who set out to make a similar film in tone and style called LOST RIVER...which is fucking mental and not remotely good.

Refn is a style over substance director and writer. He's ALL about atmosphere, and implied acts through silence. And DRIVE is just contemporary enough to make some of this shine (adding his penchant for poppy 80's soundtracks) up to something more for the casual movie goer.

I can't fucking stand his films. DRIVE I enjoyed, but he tries his best to make me even not like that one. And he's a shithead in interviews too (typical pretentious artist bullshit).

If you want a director who CAN pull off the atmospheric style well and KEEP the substance (barring BIRDMAN, which I hated), then you want Alejandro González Iñárritu, who while hit and miss still understands that the core of the film should have substance.

#8000 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

Dunno, though Valhalla Rising was a good little giggle...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic