• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Empire Role-playing-game?

#101 User is offline   Mustard Tiger 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

I made a barebones adaptation using D & D 4th edition. I ran a short campaign involving the party fleeing from the Pannion Domin and fighting in a resistance against them (they basically took the place of Gruntle and his little army during the Siege of Capustan). The party then signed on as mercenaries of a sort with the Malazans for the attack on Coral and the subsequent journey to Seven Cities.

The campaign fell apart after four of the five characters got killed by a D'ivers in the Seven Cities desert and never really gained any steam once they made new characters.

But it was a fun time while it lasted, and I spent hardly any time at all adapting any rules. I restricted some races (no minotaurs, no gith races, no dwarves, no halflings, no gnomes, no other weird races). Goliaths could be subbed in for Teblor or Toblokai, Drow or Eladrin subbed in for Tisti Andi or Edur. I also allowed people to play as humans but use the mechanics of different 4e species. For example, one of my guys wanted to play a desert dwelling Seven Cities human nomad but used the stats of the half-orc to reflect his barbarian-nomad nature, but roleplayed as a human.

My party consisted of
-Seven Cities tribesman archer (specced as a half-orc ranged ranger)
-Tiste Edur exile swordsman (specced as a drow fighter)
-Teblor barbarian (specced as a Goliath barbarian)
-A Malazan mage (specced as a human wizard)
-A Grey Swords infantry officer, sole survivor of a Pannion raid (specced as a human warlord)

Adapting monsters took some work (a lot of 4e monsters don't 100% fit the setting), but there's no reason why I wasn't able to have my players fight a drake, even if drakes aren't explicitly talked about in the books.

As far as gameplay went, everything was pretty much unchanged. If I did change anything, I just reskinned or reflavored stuff rather than building an entirely new system.

Unfortunately a lot of people want to create a new system or fully adapt a new one and spend all their time doing that rather than actually playing.

My advice?

Take a current and existing system, house-rule as needed, cull the races and classes that don't fit the setting and get to playing.

This post has been edited by Mustard Tiger: 27 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

#102 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Ick, 4th edition.

My friend and I have been building a system from essentially scratch, that allows for the malazan level of technology and magic. You know, munitions, siege engines, complex casting, the like.

We're mostly done with the magic (and magic classes), and combat (and combat classes), and now we need about 1000 hours of balancing.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#103 User is offline   Mustard Tiger 

• Recruit

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

Yeah. Say what you will regarding 4e, but we were able to have a good time with the game for a while at least. And I didn't have to spend a lot of time creating/reworking a system, it was just a reskin.

Would be interested to see what you've crafted with your system though.

#104 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

I played GURPS waaay back in the day. We chose it over the more popular DnD. Played WW, V:tM, etc, too.

And I had never even heard of the Malazan books until the last year. I had no idea that GURPS and Malazan were linked.

Thats crazy. Kind of blows my mind. I havent even thought of GURPS in like 10 years. I didnt even know this forum existed.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#105 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Wow...memories :wallbash:

This old thing is still around?! Cool :(

As for the topic: I think if i wanted to play a game in the MBotF right now, I'd take Strange FATE (the system that powers Kerberos Club: FATE Edition). FATE is a very cool system on its own (Aspects and FATE points etc.) and Strange FATE adds a cool do-it-yourself skill-model-kit and power-tiers.

Coolest thing about it - it's OGL. So you'd just need Erikson's OK and you could start working on it :)

#106 User is offline   Arn 

• Recruit

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

Greetings.

New to the forum, I am reaching out to folks interested in working collaboratively on a Runequest (sixth edition) un-official supplement for Malazan.

I realize any comprehensive and faithful adaptation will be time-consuming, but with enough critical mass (and perhaps the recycling of info from other adaptations), I am hoping this is doable.

If there is interest, please ping me here or via PM.

Cheers,

Arn

This post has been edited by Arn: 27 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users