• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Empire Role-playing-game?

#1 Guest_fortrip_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:54 AM

I've been reading the thread, i havent contributed because my experience is in table top war-games rather than RPG's. (ihave tried to research it on the net but come up with nothing useful)

Having said that I dont think the tiste are un-playable (i have always thought of them as malazan equivelent of elves) You could simply play them as elven rangers, you can take the warrior or mage path depending on preference.

THe tiste arent all powerful, bear in mind the battles in MT.

As for soletaken/divers you could simply play them like mages with access to certain spells. the abiltiy to change into either a single powerful creature or a swarm. If you remember the chase in HOC with Karsa and the divers it is mentioned (i think by mappo) that he had gotten more powerful and could create more duplicates. SO as you level up you can add more swarms or more powerful creatures. Start out as a wolf become a dragon when your really high. Or start out as some rats and then maybe end up as a pack of wolves.

I would, however, make it possible to A) utilise other abilities as well as soletaken (so you can still become a fighter or mage)and B) make it possible for a player to become soletaken or divers later on in the game.

THe main question for shape-shifting should be how the divers fight. can you control each creature or swarm as an individual or do they stay together.

hope i havent shown my extreme novice status with this ramble.

#2 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:12 AM

Most races aren't suitable as PC's. I think we can agree that all PC's are to be treated as extraordinary (a world revolves around them!) thus the path is open, although not always attainable. You have to play for a long time to get there. However the road to ascendancy needs to be open if PC's are going to be able to take on T'lan Imass, Jaghut and Forkrull Assail. A Young Tiste could be used as a PC, but would gain experience at a slower rate then a human, to balance against their natural powers and racial benefits.

It is sensless though (unless you start playing at a high level- DM choice) to allow a level one T'lan Imass. Its like letting someone play as a God in ADD, too unbalanced for a campaign. Also, Imass in general are too strictured and bound to be useable as a PC. In the Malazan world, you pretty much have to be human, Barghast, or possibly Toblokai. Moranth too.

#3 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:11 AM

Thats cool StickDude, we are doing something new here, I am only familiar with ADD 3.0 as well. Whats called for is creativity and vision.

#4 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Razgon:
The more I think about it, the more I come the realization, that no system is going to fit perfectly for the Malazan world...

Oh so true...unfortunately Posted Image

quote:
So, instead, we should probably borrow majorly from all the best sources, and mix, stir and shake everyting with a few fresh ingredients, leaving us with a system as deadly as a cusser, as fast as an Tiste Andii and as intelligent as Kruppe himself :-)

Hmm, it seems that there is some interest in this... Perphaps, if enough people are interested, we could get a fixed thread somewhere, to deal with the different aspects of a potential Malazan Rpg

Posted Image If enough people are willing to work this out, count me in as well...

#5 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:56 AM

About shifting the thread and make new ones...Knoll Barrow was a suggestion. I think it would be cool if we could have something like the discussion board... . I have spelled it out in the Admin-topic. Go and take a look and if you like the idea put your vote down...maybe we will get our own page if enough members vote for it... . Less confusion with the forum-rpg'ing and more space would be the benefits...I know that it probably is a bit of work for the administrators but I hope they will agree...

Here

#6 User is offline   drosdelnoch 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:47 AM

The problem with Mage is that as long as you have someone with a sphere at a certain level they can teach you so technically you could end up with all spheres maxed out, with the Malazan world your limited to one or two spheres and thats it. Excluding BAD who is different for a number of reasons so this rule doenst apply although on a basic level it does.

#7 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:11 AM

Hmm on the Warren thing. I think that in 99% of the cases, the mage should only be able to use one Warren properly. I mean QB is a very special case, having 12 souls and so... .

Yes, ascendancy... nice idea. Or also the Soletaken/D'ivers thing.
Phew, there is a lot of work to do, guys Posted Image

talk to you later

#8 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

The more I think about it, the more I come the realization, that no system is going to fit perfectly for the Malazan world...

So, instead, we should probably borrow majorly from all the best sources, and mix, stir and shake everyting with a few fresh ingredients, leaving us with a system as deadly as a cusser, as fast as an Tiste Andii and as intelligent as Kruppe himself :-)

Hmm, it seems that there is some interest in this... Perphaps, if enough people are interested, we could get a fixed thread somewhere, to deal with the different aspects of a potential Malazan Rpg

/Flemming

#9 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:42 AM

it was the man who created that thread I think. or the man who created the other rpg thread. one of those two, I think.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#10 Guest__*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:43 PM

quote:
If enough people are willing to work this out, count me in as well...

same here Posted Image

#11 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Karsa Orlong:
About shifting the thread and make new ones...Knoll Barrow was a suggestion. I think it would be cool if we could have something like the discussion board... . I have spelled it out in the Admin-topic. Go and take a look and if you like the idea put your vote down...maybe we will get our own page if enough members vote for it... . Less confusion with the forum-rpg'ing and more space would be the benefits...I know that it probably is a bit of work for the administrators but I hope they will agree...

http://malazan.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=...02775#713102775

Good idea - well, you have my vote, but that should be pretty obvious to all looking at the post ;-D

We really need to do this soon, before this thread takes a life of it's own, and it becomes to late :-)

I don't have a single idea as to who is Moderator or Admin on this board, does anyone?
If so, we should just PM them, and ask for a new board...

Other than that, just finished Memories of Ice (again) ah, what an incredible book :-)

#12 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 31 July 2004 - 04:22 AM

Oh yeah, daddy will be involved!

#13 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:14 AM

Yes, SE did play in his world and, like Georg R.R. Martin too, he used GURPS, IIRC.

BTW you can now download the Dark Ages rules-system on the white wolf homepage for free! I think that would be a great resource. And it would rock if you could get your brother's conversions for Vampire, Altahn! So keep us posted... Posted Image

#14 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:12 AM

Of course, this all depends on the Era in which the game is set. Sure, the Genebackis campaign era, have some pretty powerfull Tiste Andii, remember the scene i Darujistan, where they float down from the sky, and one comments, right after Oponns interference, that "it's been to loon since I killed an Ascendant" hehe.

On another note altogether, I think we should use the Knolls Barrow, and make threads there insted of just one long one here, about the different aspects we want to explore of an Malazan Rpg.

My suggestions for threads right now are - General ideas, Races (perhaps a thread for each playable race), Empires, Weapons, Magic, Ascendancy.
all of the above, are mostly for "General discussions", when going into details, I think we need more focus, dividing the project into different areas, and different teams, perhaps two man teams, since 5 people will probably NEVER agree on anything, hehe.

#15 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:49 AM

Not me. I am a minion.

#16 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:31 AM

Bottle: Shadowrun is also the system that comes to mind first with me, although combat does tend to take a lot of time, but then again, the Malazan world is pretty combat-oriented, and the magic system with drain and all fits perfectly.
Altahn - hehe, sorry, forgot about the Search function, but has found some threads now that details it. Will look into it further :-)

/Flemming

#17 Guest__*

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:12 AM

Good work guys I was gonna get round to experimenting with this idea "sometime". . . maybe when I get to CALI FOR NI A and have chill time there Posted Image.

#18 Guest_Pran Chole_*

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:21 AM

The posibility of being a tlan imass should be open, but even though they are great at lower levels, they could be denied to evolve, and therefore they arent great very long.

Another thing: As it was an entire people who became undead, one could play as a nonwarrior, and then become a warrior. or bonecaster. But yeah, they could like some of the other races get lesser xp.

#19 User is offline   drosdelnoch 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:35 AM

I know that SE roleplayed the system to find out the kinks in his world, perhaps it would be a better idea to find out what system he used to try it out?

#20 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:14 AM

I don't think you change animals as you progress in levels. the animal only becomes more resourceful and powerful. trake would be a perfect example of this.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users