• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Empire Role-playing-game?

#41 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:00 AM

don't think ascendancy should be one of the main objects of your focus. firstly, because ascendancy is something mystical and very hard to gain. if there is a fixed way of doing it, everyone would want to do it and that would make the malazan world very strange (immagine more gods than men...).

and secondly because I think this should be roleplayed. it would make the whole event a lot more exiting.

no, you rather need to sway focus on the multitude of races and creatures in the malazan world.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#42 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

forgive me, but i only scanned this thread, so this might be redundant...

...the GURPS rules suit MBotF best.

#43 Guest_Razgon_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:54 AM

drosdelnoch - Does he frequent these boards? Or is there an email adress where one might reach him?
Where did you read that he roleplayed the system? :-)

#44 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:05 AM

Hmm ok, as it seems they don't want to dedicate a whole page to our undertaking...
So let's flood the Knoll Barrow with our threads Posted Image
One for magic, combat, ascendancy and one for Soletaken/D'ivers, ok? And then one for each race iirc. So who's going to open them up? I think we should split them up between the participants.
Oh and Altahn, as it seems you are familiar with what was done in the last thread. Can you recover that information for us? Would be great!

Let's start it, friends... Posted Image

#45 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

Well, as far as experience goes, you do use to raise abilities, skills, gain new skills and so on, which is good really. The system seems to me to be tailored towards a more "realistic" angle of role-playing, if such a thing exists, which is why I like it so much.
Never been a big fan of the 70 HP D&D version, where it doesnt matter whether you have your full 70 hit points or just 1 left.

I like your thought on magic, makes sense as well, using it like this.

Shadowun does use the "spell" system, with more or less fixed types of spells, but also gives the mage the option of creating his own, or casting them at a higher "power" level, which I REALLY like. Meaning, a simple power bolt, which normally does damage equal to , a "light" wound, or -1 on the 1-10 physical scale, can be cast at a higher powerlevel, doing more damage, but also more taxing for mage. Of course, if he is higher level, it wont matter much, but gives good usability to spells. I hate the "magic missile" at level 1 type of spell books. Mages should decide the power of their own spells, and life/death situations calls for desperate measures, adding greatly to the gritty and deadly feel of the game.

I love the 3rd edition shadowrun rule books, they make so much sense. Only problem is, I bought pretty much everything there was, of 2nd edition, hehe.

Also, more experience with a warren, shoudl grant acces to more abilities linked to that warren, i.e. 1 new mage wouldnt be able to traverse his warren at first for instance.

Also, almost forgot about this, but the 3rd most important thing in a Malazan Rpg would be rules for ascendancy, right?
Skills, resistances and so forth. It should be possbile for characters to rise towards acendency throughout the game, shouldnt it?

#46 User is offline   drosdelnoch 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:15 AM

I agree with shifting the thread and each race having its own thread.

Id then say for all info on the races to be corealated so that we all know where we're coming from, ie what are the warren restrictions for certain races, what weaponry do they use etc. Ie A Tlann Imass would have to know how to make a sword in case anything happened etc so that would be one of thier skills.

Just thought that if the info so far is listed to start with then we'd all be pretty clued up and could argue the points before we start messing with how to write the stats or which system to use.

#47 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:23 AM

Dunno about class/race/combat system, but I've always liked the idea of converting the White Wolf Mage: the Ascension magick system. The way spheres are used can be simply adapted to the use of warrens. The idea is to be as "freeform" as possible, not having specific spells. Level in sphere/warren represents how much "oomph" you have and how much hooky death sh1t you can throw about.

Just an idea.

Cheers,

La Sombra
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#48 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 31 July 2004 - 09:09 AM

you can stick it in knoll barrow.

#49 Guest_fortrip_*

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:18 AM

Sorry to double post but i have thought of something after reading razgons post.

im not entirely sure how the selection process for chars works but if you use a system were by you receive a certain number of points to choose your intitial char with his equipment and abilities you can overcome the concern that some players start out too powerful.

So say you get 150 points, a human is low cost (weak initial stats) at say 30 points but you can then choose loads of cool equipment and improve his abilities/stats.

However if yo pick a tiste or imass they're really expensive so your initial selection is very limited. say a tiste is 80 pts and imass 130.

THis idea came about because i was thinking you could choose a gods brand/mark. This brings certain advantges and disadvantages. So for oponn you would receive "the coin of Oponn" you role a D6 before doing an action (ie spell-casting) and 1-3 is lord, 4-6 lady, so you receice a +/- on the outcome.

It would also have an effect on other aspects of the game, so say if you choose shadow, the hounds wont attack you but a minion of hood would go all out to get you.

@bryn, but then how do you become something really cool, like a dragon? you couldn't start out that way could you?

#50 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:49 AM

@fortrip - That would probably depend on whether you are born with the soletaken ability, or it is something earend/granted at some point in your life.
I am actually not sure, if both types exist, but do seem to remember a ritual, that made the soletaken, an d'ivers right?

Ritualistic magic could impart the ability of the soletaken I think, but...once granted, cannot be changed I think

#51 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:49 AM

the last lad who did this put down a considerable amount of work into this. track him or his work down, and you'll be mostly set.

#52 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:12 AM

I agree Karsa Orlong, and have posted a thread to this end right here for your entertainment ;-D

Let me know what you guys think...

/Flemming

#53 User is offline   Karsa Orlong 

• Lieutenant

Posted 31 July 2004 - 03:45 AM

WOW!!

Nice idea, Altahn. I love it! Kind of like drama-dices in 7th Sea but waaaaaaay cooler.
Thanks Altahn Posted Image and I hope you will stay 'on board' and help us develop this rpg-monster Posted Image

#54 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:36 AM

Sorry guys, there are only five pages of Inn history, it doesnt go back far enough. Perhaps a mod would know how to go back?

#55 Guest_Razgon_*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

Hmm, Mage:The Ascension soundede pretty promising, but after having bought 9 different rpg systems,with accesory books, I decided at the time not to buy it. :-)

It does sound quite good though, as a fit for the magic system...

Sombra - Do you know if those particular magic rules would be easy to modify into a D20 game? Just for the sake of ease...

#56 User is offline   drosdelnoch 

• Lieutenant

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:08 AM

There are other ways but you have to remember that the key thing for all characters is to gain some reward, leveling up as they get better is one way but you have to remember that those who are roleplaying arent the normal everyday peeps on the world, theyve had a dream to be something greater. Plus how many will actually achieve the goal as death is quite a common thing. So it will work out eventually.

#57 Guest_talamandas_*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

I wrote about some stuff in the last try at a thread like this that I saw... I would definitely like to help out if possible, but I only know DnD 3.0 with some bits of 3.5 and D20 Modern....
*shrugs*

Also... please explain GURPS... I know what a LARP is... but can't remember anything about GURPS....

#58 Guest_Tashanen_*

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

Sorry in advance for the bump of this old post.

But has anyone considered using Fantasy Hero as a basis for the RPG system?

Its a level-less point based system capable of creating a character of any power level.

Heck the Hero (and GURPS) system is probably one of the most flexible systems I've come across in 20 years of RPing.

-Tash

#59 Guest_Pran Chole_*

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:44 AM

It would also be great, if one could choose between being great at one Warren, like bocomming a high mage, or like QB choose to employ more than one, for greater allround ability, but for lesser spells.

Another thing: the mage has some sort of magic-stamina, which improves over the levels, but the mage can even at lower levels, though it is very risky, use more than the stamina, the very lifeforce of the mage.

What about special events were on must travel ones warren? like an escape, og pursuit or something like that.

#60 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:07 AM

I don't see the problem with playing as a tiste andii. them children on drift alii didn't seem all that powerful at all. I just think that you base all your assumptions of the andii by all those who was in the genebackis campaign, and rake and korlat. a young and inexperienced tiste andii on their own in the world would be that powerful at all, me thinks.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users