• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lost Season 4 premiere. (Spoilers)

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:07 AM

So, thoughts. I thought that this first episode of season 4 was just as riveting as the finale to season 3. There was a lot of meat to be had in it. Lots of little hints. I am now starting to wonder if Benjamin's exclamation in answer to Jacks question (Who are you?) at the end of Season 2 "We're the good guys Jack" wasn't more telling or accurate than we all thought. It appears as if Ben is somewhat right, and the people who they thought were there to rescue them are in fact not....and then I love that we now have the whole dynamic of the flash forwards (instead of flashbacks ....though I hear we will still get those as well this season).

All in all. Rock on!

Man, I love this show.

Oh, and that music they play over top of when people die or sacrifice themselves and die(like Charlie in the looking glass), or even when they grieve just does me in. It makes those scenes SO much more sad!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Just saw the season premiere :D

Was that Locke in the window of that cabin Hurley found?
If it was, he's been talking to that old dude in the rocking chair.

And this flash forward was before the one in the last episode in season 3 (because of Jack's beard). So at first Jack doesn't want to go back, but later he changes his mind. And how do they get off the island in the first place if the new guys are coming to kill everyone?

Argh! The episodes are too short. Too short by far. :D
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#3 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

It might have been Locke in the cabin talking to the man in the chair (Christian Shepard, Jack's father, as shown by screenshots), but I think it might also have been Mikhail, who could still be alive. The eye was a left eye, so I dunno.

Jack might have changed his mind because those who escaped keep dying. Remember the funeral he went to?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

A friend of mine paused HD tv and says that it's most definitely Jacks father in the rocking chair. That was totally Locke in the window shot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:54 AM

Nope, that was the enigmatic Jacob in the window, with Christian Shepherd in the chair. I think this was the producers telling us that Christian Shepherd's corpse was still in play, that Jacob is linked to the smoke monster (who has this thing about animating corpses and taking on the forms of the dead) and that Jacob isn't Christian (which has been a popular theory).

It would be interesting to see what the producers were aiming for with that scene, but since they're not doing the podcasts because of the writers' strike, I'm guessing we won't find out for a while.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

Werthead;252693 said:

Nope, that was the enigmatic Jacob in the window, with Christian Shepherd in the chair. I think this was the producers telling us that Christian Shepherd's corpse was still in play, that Jacob is linked to the smoke monster (who has this thing about animating corpses and taking on the forms of the dead) and that Jacob isn't Christian (which has been a popular theory).

It would be interesting to see what the producers were aiming for with that scene, but since they're not doing the podcasts because of the writers' strike, I'm guessing we won't find out for a while.

It looked like the crows feet that are around Locke's eyes in the window....

But I LIKE the idea that Jacob is using Christians body in some way, be that reanimating it (which would explain Jack seeing his dad in the second episode of season 1). So good call on that one.

I dunno if Jacob is linked to the smoke monster or not though. I still think that the smoke monster is a Dharma Initiative thing like the shark and the polar bears....but with this show, we could all be wrong. LOL

#7 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

According to the producers, Jacob is someone we've seen but not heard before, which is a very odd way of putting it. So we've laid eyes on the character but he hasn't said anything. He's also not been cast in the show; it was one of the production coordinators in the chair in the Season 3 episode and possibly who was briefly seen in the premiere. That makes it really confusing

The only person who fits the bill is Alvar Hanso, who was seen as a shadowy figure (with a similar hairstyle) in the window of the Hanso Foundation HQ in several of the DHARMA training videos, but he was cast and appears (and speaks!) in The Lost Experience webgame, so that seems to rule him out. No-one else really comes to mind.

Episode 2 kicked ass as well. The newcomers are an interesting bunch with some intriguing backstory. And WTF was up with the polar bear skeleton and the Hydra logo being found in Tunisia?

Interesting revelation about Episode 3: the question of whether or not time runs the same on the Island as off it will be definitively answered.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Werthead;257379 said:

Episode 2 kicked ass as well. The newcomers are an interesting bunch with some intriguing backstory. And WTF was up with the polar bear skeleton and the Hydra logo being found in Tunisia?

I think it's an indication that there's going to be another time rip like the one that gave Desmond his powers and somehow the polar bear's going to shuffle off to Tunisia a few thousand years ago.

This show is easily the most complex thing ever put on television. Awesome.

I saw something interesting mentioned in the Lostpedia. In the first episode, there were multiple references to "HO" (the game of Horse, the Ho-Hos, etc.) and it's likely because H is the eighth letter of the alphabet and O is the fifteenth. HO = 815.

Also, the picture frames of the dead grandson from Episode 2 change between Miles' trip upstairs and his return. I have no idea what this signifies.

#9 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

So was the oceanic flight 815 at the bottom of the ocean just a hoax? I mean since the pilot in the wreckage wasn't the right one (because of the missing ring on his finger). Like someone is trying to remove any unwanted attention to the island or something.

I like that better than two parallell timelines. Would be a total mindfuck if Jack (or whoever) came home from the island, and then suddenly saw a video of his own dead body dragged out of the planewreck.
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#10 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

also the new people coming in are obviosly the Dharma initiative coming back but i wonder who ben seaid was one the boat (episode 2).

Lost is also by far the quickest hour of the week

#11 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

havent seen ep2 yet but ep 1 was supremely cool. I wanna know hurley's deal. He's kind of becoming a Mat Cauthon character...kinda boring at first but he's got a lot more depth than pretty much anybody else on the show now that we're into the 4th season.

Also, the cabin scenes freak me out. Too reminiscent of Blair Witch Project...which had me shitting my pants the first time I saw it.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

Also, who are the remaining three of the Oceanic 6 (after Kate, Jack and Hurley), and are the other 30something survivors dead, alive, or something else entirely???

Loving the flash-forward style, really a cool change from the flashbacks.

- Abyss, gleefully lost.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

Can we talk about episode 2 spoilers yet? Might it be a good idea to change the thread title, or is this just always gonna be about the premiere?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#14 User is offline   opiate taylor 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:37 AM

Here's a question that has bothered me ever since the season 3 finale. Why did Jack talk about his father in the flash-forward as if he was alive and still working in the hospital? This suggests that things changed upon the Oceanic Six's return, huh? Might also be a clue as to why Jack says he is 'Tired of lying' to Kate. Tired of lying about the changes they have witnessed maybe? More questions as always with LOST.
"The commodore says you're a fucking asshole."

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

I'm all up to date and holy sh!t i'm loving this season.
I enjoyed how they gave us just enough of an intro to the freighter/copter peeps, and Super-Spy guy Sayid rocked.

- Abyss, gleefully losted.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

opiate taylor;260346 said:

Here's a question that has bothered me ever since the season 3 finale. Why did Jack talk about his father in the flash-forward as if he was alive and still working in the hospital? This suggests that things changed upon the Oceanic Six's return, huh? Might also be a clue as to why Jack says he is 'Tired of lying' to Kate. Tired of lying about the changes they have witnessed maybe? More questions as always with LOST.

Well that's possible, but I always assumed it was because he was drunk, suicidal and delusional... adding denial to that wouldn't be a huge step. That's the point when his boss decided to suspend him, wasn't it?

So we know four of the Oceanic 6 now... do you think Ben counts as one? As for the other 2, I'd reckon Sawyer, but I don't know who else.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#17 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:00 AM

no one else get the impression theres a weird time warp going on with the island? bar the obvious payload setup.

in the photos of ben in the outside world it always seems like he is in the seventies. And the pager the woman had was gi-normous!!!! Seems like the island is moving the wrong way through time??? maybe or some shit.

#18 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

Well the island is a huge magnetic anomaly as we saw in (I think) the finale of season 2. They might be writing in some kind of space-time warp theory having to do with the island's strange properties.

What's really got me confused is how charlotte (lame name pick for the british chick by the way) is in tunisia and finds one of the polar bear skeleton with a collar on it, but the insignia on the collar is different from the original dharma insignia. Does each "station" in lost have a different symbol? The one on the bear looked like a hydra, but the original one inside "the hatch" was more of a snake-ey thing.

Also, I was reading the wiki on lost and came across this:

In the 2008 movie "Cloverfield" which was produced by J.J. Abrams and the team that made Lost, the Dharma Initiative logo can briefly be seen in the opening of the movie. It is during the introduction of the film which states where the "video" about to be shown came from. It is only visible for a moment on the lower right side of screen and, while the image shown is distorted and shaky, it is clearly the D.I. logo.

which is nothing more than speculation, but it would be really really really neat if this keeps appearing in new and seemingly unrelated movies over the next couple years and they reveal at the end some kind of broad-reaching explanation that explains wtf is going on with LOST, cloverfield and any other movie where this symbol "happens" to pop up in. Maybe wishful thinking, but still would be cool in the extreme
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#19 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

cerveza_fiesta;261693 said:

What's really got me confused is how charlotte (lame name pick for the british chick by the way) is in tunisia and finds one of the polar bear skeleton with a collar on it, but the insignia on the collar is different from the original dharma insignia. Does each "station" in lost have a different symbol? The one on the bear looked like a hydra, but the original one inside "the hatch" was more of a snake-ey thing.

There are several Dharma stations. We know about the Arrow, Staff, Swan, Flame, Pearl, Orchid (location unknown), Hydra (the one with polar bear cages) and the Looking Glass (underwater communications station). All have their own Dharma logos.

There are possibly others, but we haven't seen them in the show or extra content yet.

cerveza_fiesta said:

but it would be really really really neat if this keeps appearing in new and seemingly unrelated movies over the next couple years and they reveal at the end some kind of broad-reaching explanation that explains wtf is going on with LOST, cloverfield and any other movie where this symbol "happens" to pop up in. Maybe wishful thinking, but still would be cool in the extreme

That is a cool thing, but Lindelof and Cuse have made it a point to say that they're going to resolve things pretty much in totality on the show itself. They're angling for massive, massive DVD sales and continued viewing for a loooooong time. Anything else we see in things beyond that will just be little hints like in Cloverfield and nothing major.

#20 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

Abrams' next movie will be Star Trek. Interesting if the DHARMA Initiative logo turns up in that :-)

As for the timeslip effect, it's pretty clear how it works: the Island is displaced from the real world in time. That's presumably why it can't be seen by satellites or detected from the outside world without something on the Island to draw them in.

However, the rate at which time advances between the Island and the outside world is clearly the same. Jack talks about the Red Sox winning the series with the pilot and says he's been on the Island for 100 days. The pilot agrees with him and doesn't think there is anything wrong with that statement. Similarly, Desmond didn't think it odd when Locke told him what date the plane crashed on, whilst the dates would have been out of synch.

That said, it is possible that the amount of the timeslip is increasing or decreasing, and this has something to do with the hatch explosion as the end of Season 2. Maybe it's counting down and when the real world and the Island synch-up the planet explodes or something?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users