• You cannot reply to this topic

Lost Season 4 premiere. (Spoilers)

#21 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

@amphibian

yeah, its way too much wishful thinking for hollywood to be that creative, but I can still hope. I was thinking more along the lines that all would be resolved in-show, but then leave little hints that lead to background for the other "dharma movies" (and I call them that for lack of a better term) like cloverfield and provide better understanding for them after the fact....reviving dvd sales for old movies and the potential for box sets.

@wert

Yeah, the timeslip thing seems pretty in-keeping with the "payload" that got fired at the island. If it was a difference in the speed of time, then we'd expect a pretty huge difference between how much total time has passed on the island and how much total time has passed on the outside. It seems more like its a time shift...like stuff on the island is displaced in time, but time still passes at the same rate.

What I really want to know, and it's now been seen with the helicopter and Michael/walt's boat is why they have to maintain a specific bearing in order to leave the island. Maybe they have to leave in the direction of a magnetic pole or something. Wasn't there mention by Desmond that he'd tried to sail away a bunch of times, but kept ending up back at the island.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#22 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

Aye, but they didn't appear to go in the same direction... and of course it's debateable if Walt and Micheal did leave after all, or wether that's just Locke continuing with his crazyness...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:59 AM

Someone needs to punch Locke in the face and let him know he isn't the boss. Seriously.

The revelation at the end of tonights episode was very crazy, but not unexpected when you think about it.

I am beginning to like Ben more and more, and now I am hella curious who Miles, Charlotte, Dan and Co work for.....
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:36 AM

They work for the Darma initiative, and my money is on the Black guy from the Wire as the head of Darma
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#25 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

Vengeance;262029 said:

They work for the Darma initiative, and my money is on the Black guy from the Wire as the head of Darma

Abbadon is dealing directly with the operatives. Heads of companies and organizations do not deal with operatives on a personal level. Doesn't happen. There's either a group of people (Ben's list) or one person (Penny's father?) at the top making decisions and sending people like Abbadon to get things done.

Locke is the person most in tune with the Island. He has the potential to be the boss, but is severely hampered by not knowing enough of what's going on.

The actor portraying Ben has the role of his lifetime here. He's so perfectly suited to it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

Interesting. The revelation that Kate's mother has been suffering from her illness for four years, plus Aaron's apparent age (maybe three), is another indicator that this flashforward takes place in 2007. I'm guessing a few months before Jack's FF in the Season 3 finale.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#27 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

yeah, ben is one of my favourite badguys in tv ever. He holds so much power over all of them just by fucking with them constantly.

And he lies. Absolutely remorselessly and completely about just about everything. He plays on that little thing in the human psyche that makes you want to believe what somebody else is telling you, but he's constantly telling everybody different things.

Has everybody seen this video?

http://www.lostpedia...rientation_film

it was shown at a comiccon or something. I wonder what "What did you set it for?.....minus 20" means. Must have something to do with this casimir effect thing and why the payload was delayed by a few minutes.

After reading what the casismir effect is on wiki, I don't have much more understanding, but near the bottom of the page there's something about the casimir effect being used to stabilize a wormhole and enable Faster than light travel through space. It also has to do with conductive materials and stuff....Not saying they're going to add wormholes to LOST, but given its kind of a scifi show, they might use super theoretical physics stuff to explain wtf is up with the island. Could also indicate why there's a physicist on the crew from the freighter.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#28 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

well episode 4 was filler....

booooooring.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#29 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

Actually, gigantic magnetic field coupled with a wormhole makes perfect sense CF. I never thought of that. Nice little theory there, cheers :p
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#30 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

cerveza_fiesta;262634 said:

well episode 4 was filler....

booooooring.

I'm operating on the assumption that you're serious here. The episode was Kate-centric and somewhat straightforward, but the answers and lines of questioning it gave us were more subtle than normal.

I'm of the theory that Miles was communicating to Ben in a code of some kind.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#31 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

amphibian;262693 said:

I'm operating on the assumption that you're serious here. The episode was Kate-centric and somewhat straightforward, but the answers and lines of questioning it gave us were more subtle than normal.

I'm of the theory that Miles was communicating to Ben in a code of some kind.

hey good call man, with the codespeak that they already revealed between original parachute girl about "tell my sister I love her" and stuff...I never really thought that they might be communicating in code.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

Ok, FINALLY I finished season three and catched up with the new season.

I'd been watching an episode here and there over the past few years, but man, watching all the episodes in one go... This is one of the best series I've ever seen.

About Jacob and the cabin. Remember how when Hurly was close enough he was hearing the whispers. I think it's the intity inside the house that makes them. That would also imply that either Jacob see's everything or he sometimes leaves it and have at times met the other crewmembers here and there.

About the black smoke thing. Someone, I think it was already in the first season, called it "an alarm system". Obviously it's a bit more than that, but the electrical bursts inside it and the weird "typewriter sound" it makes combined with the weird timephenomenons, has me speculating. Perhaps it's some kind of entity from the future of the island. It could be a FOG-cloud, a mass of nanomachines able to take form and use the very molecules around it to reproduce and move. It also explains why the "sound barrier" thing is able to rebuff it because of the disturbance in the nanomachines field of comunication.

Season three really annoyed me because the brightest of the bunch kept getting in touch with the others, and yet NOTHING was really learned about the island itself. We got a lot of info on Dharma and the old bunkers, but that's it.

It pissed me off that Locke didn't just die in that massgrave. I really like his story, and I get that he has a connection, but the man is dumb as a post. You need to shoot him, cripple him or generally knock him out and let the island talk to him before he gets a point. I'd also like Jack to die, because that man is so infuriatingly selfinvolved I want to poke out his eyes.

I didn't get why Charlie had to die, he had plenty of time to run out of the hatch, pull Desmond into the water and swim up again. That was just stupid.

I didn't like the way they killed Mr. Echo either, I did like the fact that he was defiant to end though. Mr. Echo was a terrifying dude.

I don't get why they introduced 7...9? new characters from the tailsection, and then killed them all of except for "Old black womans husband". I'd have liked to see some new blood, but I guess that's what we're getting with all the new Dharma people coming in.

#33 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

About the black smoke thing. Someone, I think it was already in the first season, called it "an alarm system". Obviously it's a bit more than that, but the electrical bursts inside it and the weird "typewriter sound" it makes combined with the weird timephenomenons, has me speculating. Perhaps it's some kind of entity from the future of the island. It could be a FOG-cloud, a mass of nanomachines able to take form and use the very molecules around it to reproduce and move. It also explains why the "sound barrier" thing is able to rebuff it because of the disturbance in the nanomachines field of comunication.

good a guess as any I've seen for sure.

It pissed me off that Locke didn't just die in that massgrave. I really like his story, and I get that he has a connection, but the man is dumb as a post. You need to shoot him, cripple him or generally knock him out and let the island talk to him before he gets a point. I'd also like Jack to die, because that man is so infuriatingly selfinvolved I want to poke out his eyes.

Locke can't die because he's essential to the story of the island I think, plus he has singlehandedly kicked more ass than all the other survivors combined. Jack can crawl in a hole and never come out again for all I care. His character really contributes nothing to LOST at all...I read that he was supposed to die in the first season actually, but they kept him alive and wrote him into the ending (stuff from the flashforwards) to keep the ladies interested in the show.

I didn't get why Charlie had to die, he had plenty of time to run out of the hatch, pull Desmond into the water and swim up again. That was just stupid.

yeah, the method of his death was retarded, but he was kind of a dead-end character. I didn't mind them getting rid of him, but they could have had him get stabbed or something he couldn't easily have run away from.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#34 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

Aptorian;264410 said:

Charlie chose to die because of Desmonds vision. To Charlie, it was pretty much a sure thing then (because Desmond had seen it happen), that as long as he died down there his girlfriend would be rescued from the island. He did the self sacrifice thing to save Claire.
He lowered his head

-some poet on reddit

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

I agree that Charlie was convinced that he had to die, but it was still stupid, They could have written the manuscript like he was locked in there or perhaps a shoot-out blew out a window or something.

#36 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

Remember he was the one who locked Desmond out. He chose to die that way. Also, one-eyed russian with a hand grenade is not that stupid. Rather original I think.
He lowered his head

-some poet on reddit

#37 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:35 PM

Well, I liked the Russian, so I wasn't happy to see him die either.

#38 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

He'll be back :D

...well, maybe not.
He lowered his head

-some poet on reddit

#39 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

It annoys me how willing these "others" are to die for a cause they don't even understand. I was expecting that by the end of season 3 we'd have gotten a 5 minute rant/speech from someone like Ben, preaching to his underlings why what they are doing is so important and what the future holds.

But no, they just go trecking across the island once in a while, that's when they're not out to kidnap people of course.

Damn cultists.

#40 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

ben is my favourite character in pretty much any show right now. i bet he lands some serious roles after LOST as a result of playing the ben char.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic