• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Book I bought today is...

#4421 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

Using xmas vouchers I got;

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (part of wife and I's one book per year that was important to us reading challenge)

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

Infidel by Kameron Hurley - so I now have the whole Bel Dame Apocrypha trilogy and can read that

The Hod King

Checkmate by Dorothy Dunnet so I can finish the Lymond chronicles

Kellannved's reach

The Furthest station and Lies sleeping to get up to date on Peter Grant

The Wandering Earth by Cixin Lui

Pretty happy with that for £35.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 31 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#4422 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

Got A LITTLE HATRED by Abercrombie and the Complete Illustrated Earthsea by Le Guin for Xmas, and I’m using some Xmas money to buy ANARCH BY Abnett. That’s not a bad haul!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4423 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:14 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 31 December 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

Lic anus

chortle
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4424 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 02 January 2020 - 08:14 AM, said:

Lic anus

chortle

Oh thank goodness someone else went there first.

:p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4425 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

Hmm I even got fed up enough to go for Amazon and they don’t have either!!

What’s the deal with this specific Licanus book?!?!

https://www.amazon.c...ip%2C226&sr=1-1

Amazon says it's available. Or is it specifically the paperback you're interested in?

#4426 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 December 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

Got A LITTLE HATRED by Abercrombie and the Complete Illustrated Earthsea by Le Guin for Xmas, and I’m using some Xmas money to buy ANARCH BY Abnett. That’s not a bad haul!

I've seen some reviews on Amazon(.de) that the quality of the paper and binding suck, which has made ma wary about buying the book. Sometimes those problems are real (like that Dune edition with print running into the inside margins so far that you had to open the book really wide and crack the spine). Can you say something about the quality of the Earthsea book?

#4427 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

View PostGabriele, on 03 January 2020 - 05:39 PM, said:

I've seen some reviews on Amazon(.de) that the quality of the paper and binding suck, which has made ma wary about buying the book. Sometimes those problems are real (like that Dune edition with print running into the inside margins so far that you had to open the book really wide and crack the spine). Can you say something about the quality of the Earthsea book?

Seems fine to me. My only complaint so far is that it’s HEAVY AF. Which means reading it anywhere but at home...is a no go. The paper quality seems fine, even quality. No other print issues that I’ve found. Binding seems solid.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4428 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:00 PM

I had to run some errands by the mall and stumbled into Chapters again, naturally. Picked up something interesting:

"The Ropewalker" by one Jaan Kross, an Estonian novelist apparently. It seems to be a historical fiction book that got misfiled into SFF. It's about a 17th centure chronicler who described the plight of peasantry during the Livonian War.
Not really a topic you see come up a lot, so I grabbed it. It's the first in a trilogy, might be worth a look.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 25 January 2020 - 06:34 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4429 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 22 December 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 22 December 2019 - 02:23 AM, said:

- Red Tide by Marc Turner- last book in the "Chronicles of the Exile" trilo

Sadly this isn't actually a trilo. Turner's internet nonexistence makes me fear poor sales killed it but hopefully it was just that he'd already had the first three books prepared and has taken longer to finish book 4 than he expected, coz I was starting to enjoy the hell out of this series.

I quite like this series. I hope it's able to continue as he's bringing a good story again and again.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4430 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 January 2020 - 08:55 PM, said:

View PostGabriele, on 03 January 2020 - 05:39 PM, said:

Seems fine to me. My only complaint so far is that it’s HEAVY AF. Which means reading it anywhere but at home...is a no go. The paper quality seems fine, even quality. No other print issues that I’ve found. Binding seems solid.

Thanks for the info.

No surprise about Heavy. ;) But I got some non-fiction books in the 5-6 pound range, so I'm used to dealing with monsters.

#4431 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:07 PM

Pre-ordered the earbooks of Peter Clines' TERMINUS (end of Jan) and Shannen Chakrabortay's EMPIRE OF GOLD (end June).

Immensely psyched.... Clines just rocks every book and has a fantastic narrator, and Chakrabortay's Daevabad series has been a total treat so far.

Also something called ASHLORDS by one Scott Reintgen on nothing more than the blurb

Publisher's Summary
Red Rising meets The Scorpio Races in this epic fantasy following three phoenix horse riders - skilled at alchemy - who must compete at The Races - the modern spectacle that has replaced warfare within their empire.

Every year since the Ashlords were gifted phoenix horses by their gods, they've raced them. First into battle, then on great hunts, and finally for the pure sport of seeing who rode the fastest. Centuries of blood and fire carved their competition into a more modern spectacle: The Races.

Over the course of a multi-day event, elite riders from clashing cultures vie to be crowned champion. But the modern version of the sport requires more than good riding. Competitors must be skilled at creating and controlling phoenix horses made of ash and alchemy, which are summoned back to life each sunrise with uniquely crafted powers to cover impossible distances and challenges before bursting into flames at sunset. But good alchemy only matters if a rider knows how to defend their phoenix horse at night. Murder is outlawed, but breaking bones and poisoning ashes? That's all legal and encouraged.

In this year's Races, 11 riders will compete, but three of them have more to lose than the rest - a champion's daughter, a scholarship entrant, and a revolutionary's son. Who will attain their own dream of glory? Or will they all flame out in defeat?

...and the ever handy option to return anything i don't like to audible.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4432 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:11 PM

Picked up "Kellanved's Reach" as well as The Faded Sun Trilo (omnibus) by C.J. Cherryh. She's one of those authors I hear about from time to time, but never tried.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4433 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:29 AM

View PostMentalist, on 19 January 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

Picked up "Kellanved's Reach" as well as The Faded Sun Trilo (omnibus) by C.J. Cherryh. She's one of those authors I hear about from time to time, but never tried.

I "popped my Cherryh" on The Faded Sun, if you'll forgive the metaphor. Loved that trilogy, and have been meaning to reread it for a while now. No one writes aliens quite like she does.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 20 January 2020 - 06:30 AM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4434 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

Found a publisher's clearance hardback of The Tower of Living and Dying whilst in Weymouth so picked that up. Rather enjoyed Anna's debut.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4435 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 20 January 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 19 January 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

I "popped my Cherryh" on The Faded Sun, if you'll forgive the metaphor. Loved that trilogy, and have been meaning to reread it for a while now. No one writes aliens quite like she does.

I gave her MORGAINE SAGA fantasy/sf'ish trilo a fair shot but it failed to hold my interest. Too much slog, to repetitious, and always always no/little action til the finale of each book. She's very adept at creating interesting settings and characters but the actual stories didn't hold me. Haven't tried her other stuff as a result but there's no denying she has a big n consistent fan base.

Your comment re aliens makes me wonder if i just started at the wrong place.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4436 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:58 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 January 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

Your comment re aliens makes me wonder if i just started at the wrong place.

Perhaps! I've only read her sci-fi. (I was planning on reading the Morgaine Cycle years ago, just never got around to it.) But Faded Sun, the Chanur saga, and Rider at the Gate and its sequel are all fantastic.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4437 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

Saturday I was up at https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/ and spent the day in there!

It easily has over 5000 books of all different types including signed / first editions, really awesome place and they do great food too!!

Bought David Gemmell – White Wolf in Hard Back (my mate dropped my paperback in the bath and ruined it) and the final Gemmell book I didn’t own, Dark Moon.

Bought the History of Rome and a book on the life of Alexander the Great – both Hard Back, all four for £18.00. Total bargain!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4438 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

View Postchamp, on 21 January 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

It easily has over 5000 books of all different types including signed / first editions, really awesome place and they do great food too!!

Bought David Gemmell – White Wolf in Hard Back (my mate dropped my paperback in the bath and ruined it) and the final Gemmell book I didn’t own, Dark Moon.

Bought the History of Rome and a book on the life of Alexander the Great – both Hard Back, all four for £18.00. Total bargain!

Dang I got really excited then cos I thought it was on the way back from Newcastle to where I live and would have been a minor diversion on my way home - I'm heading up there to visit my brother this weekend. Sadly it's North of there and would be somewhat longer...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 21 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4439 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

Barter Books is heaven on earth, I love it there! :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#4440 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 January 2020 - 04:26 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 21 January 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

Bought David Gemmell – White Wolf in Hard Back (my mate dropped my paperback in the bath and ruined it) and the final Gemmell book I didn't own, Dark Moon.

Dang I got really excited then cos I thought it was on the way back from Newcastle to where I live and would have been a minor diversion on my way home - I'm heading up there to visit my brother this weekend. Sadly it's North of there and would be somewhat longer...

It is only about 40 mins north of Newcastle - well worth the trip if you can make it. Just tell your brother you are going for the day out to Alnwick! You'll need a few hours to browse though.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 21 January 2020 - 04:32 PM, said:

Barter Books is heaven on earth, I love it there! :D

Preach! It is a place that needs to be witnessed, awesome to know that someone else here has got to enjoy the place!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 239 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users