• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Book I bought today is...

#4461 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:20 AM

So as I’m re-reading the War Of The Souls Dragonlance books (and enjoying them even more this time), I realize that my DL collection is really not complete without the Lost Chronicles books (I know they are supposedly not great, but still) ..so I decided to just grab them...for the first two, no problem ...used, good condition...about $10 each. But for some reason, the final book in the trilogy (DRAGONS OF THE HOURGLASS MAGE)...is friggin $50 at the cheapest on every site I can find it...for a goddamn MMPB copy...what in the everloving GOUGING hells man?! not paying that. So I guess that one will be on my list of “fabled” books i May never find at a reasonable price.

Ah well, getting the first two satisfies me at least.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 July 2020 - 01:21 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4462 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:16 AM

Amazing to see these threads still going after all these years :)

Gone for a classic... The Dragonbone Chair
Victory is mine!

#4463 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

Finally ordered updated copies of HoC, MT, and TBH as I still had those three in old cover (2003) versions that were broken spine, ragged and didn’t match font/image wise. So now all the covers match for my Malazan collection...when I get them I’ll take a pic and share.

I am still missing BLOOD & BONE and ASSAIL for ICE, and only have to B&KB books, but it’s mostly a complete collection.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4464 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

I've replaced all my old Malazan books with ebooks.

#4465 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:00 PM

I've got the series up to TtHs on kindle from my last reread. I didn't get further than that back then.. probably why I'm looking forward to the last 2 as I've read them fewer times.

I love my book collection but I cant sneak one of those doorstops with me into work.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4466 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:50 AM

View PostAptorian, on 26 July 2020 - 07:34 PM, said:

I've replaced all my old Malazan books with ebooks.

I have at least 3 of them as ebooks (TtH, DoD, and TCG) , and even MOI on audiobook...but on my forever physical shelf I wanted nice copies that matched of my all time fave Fantasy series. So here we are.

#4467 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:26 AM

The other day I was in Waterstones in town and they had a buy one get one half price deal on a ton of books. I picked up two that piqued my interest which are in the speculative fiction realm I guess.

One is called The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney which gives me some real Black Mirror kind of vibes.

The other is called The Binding by Bridget Collins and appears to be a more old world fantastical adventure type novel.

Looking forward to both!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4468 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:44 AM

View PostFist Gamet, on 23 July 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

Amazing to see these threads still going after all these years :)

Gone for a classic... The Dragonbone Chair

Now there's a blast from the past!

I've just bought harrow the ninth!

#4469 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:30 PM

This is kinda dumb, but it's The Book I Didn't Buy Today: I've been bummed out by my inability to find the black-edged edition of HARROW THE NINTH. The black edges on GIDEON was honest-to-god the reason I picked it up in hardcover last year. I could spend $20 at B&N on a hardcover HARROW that doesn't match, or get the Kindle for $16, but I just can't pull the trigger.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4470 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 August 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

This is kinda dumb, but it's The Book I Didn't Buy Today: I've been bummed out by my inability to find the black-edged edition of HARROW THE NINTH. The black edges on GIDEON was honest-to-god the reason I picked it up in hardcover last year. I could spend $20 at B&N on a hardcover HARROW that doesn't match, or get the Kindle for $16, but I just can't pull the trigger.

It doesn't help that the black edged editions of those books are limited...

It looks like Subscription service Illumicrate did the Black Edged editions for HARROW...so you either got it when they did it, or a secondary seller will have to do...which means.....are you willing to drop $64 on it?

https://www.ebay.com...t-/184380560017

I heard the ninth printing was sprayed Red...in case you wanted the EXTRA EXTRA rare one...I can't imagine how much that one costs.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 August 2020 - 07:50 PM

#4471 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 August 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

It looks like Subscription service Illumicrate did the Black Edged editions for HARROW...so you either got it when they did it, or a secondary seller will have to do...which means.....are you willing to drop $64 on it?

Nope! I did see the Illumicrate thing, and the three bookstores I go to (including the one that had multiple black GIDEONs last year) only had unsprayed edges. I did send a salty tweet Tor's way, and they replied saying it was available from any bookseller, so I guess I just lucked out.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#4472 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:30 PM

Dude, I ordered a copy thru my local store and they blew it - it was the regular printing with all white pages. I still bought it (because local store needs the business).

I went online to https://mikescollect...ck-sprayed-edge

I paid 27 for the regular and then 45 for the black edge.

I'm peeved at the local shop, but... at least entities I care about (the shop and Muir) get the money.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4473 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:58 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 August 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

...HARROW THE NINTH...

I heard the ninth printing was sprayed Red...in case you wanted the EXTRA EXTRA rare one...I can't imagine how much that one costs.

Complete aside, but i love that they did this. On some level it rings of comics doing 17 chromium embossed limited ed. covers for X-Stabby Mutants #1 (vol 4), but on a whole other level it's a sign of love for and fun with dead tree that we just almost never see anymore.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4474 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, when Tor first revealed the red 9th printing, I briefly thought I might want to get it... but I'm not THAT crazy.

#4475 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

On Saturday I went to the thriftstore and purchased 38 books for $10. Mostly Moorcock but some Melanie Rawn, David B. Coe, CS Friedman, and Patricia A. Mckillip. I have not read any of these authors except one Moorcock years ago, are they good? Any Ideas which author to start with.

#4476 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

View PostRACHEL, on 17 August 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

On Saturday I went to the thriftstore and purchased 38 books for $10. Mostly Moorcock but some Melanie Rawn, David B. Coe, CS Friedman, and Patricia A. Mckillip. I have not read any of these authors except one Moorcock years ago, are they good? Any Ideas which author to start with.

Rawn is great, but it depends on the book(s).

CS Friedman is really good of what Iv'e read too.

I can't speak to the other authors.

#4477 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:34 AM

View PostRACHEL, on 17 August 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

Which Friedman books?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4478 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

Coldfire first three books

#4479 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:26 PM

View PostRACHEL, on 18 August 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

Coldfire first three books

Abyss and others (including me) will tell you those books are GREAT!

#4480 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:08 AM

Kj Parker released How to rule an empire and get away with it yesterday. I believe it's sort of a sequel to 16 ways to defend a walled city.

Bought and will probably not get around to reading it for months.

Share this topic:

• 239 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users