• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did I totally miss something?

#61 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Behold the wondrous thread resurrection!

I'm just re-reading the Bonehunters for the nth time, and I think I may finally possibly know why Cotillion's list for Apsalar's targets included Pearl. Or, at least, I have a theory that hasn't been mentioned here.

Pearl knew the truth about Tavore killing Felisin. Perhaps ST and Cotillion didn't want him revealing that to her one day (as he had threatened to do early on in the Bonehunters) and thus breaking her? It does, however, beg the question as to why Lostara Yil wasn't also on the list, but, hey, she's one of Cotillion's favoured, so maybe that's why.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#62 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

That was the assumption I was operating under.

Pearl's knowledge could have broken Tavore's cold iron in a heartbeat. And if the situation suited the Empress, he would have done it in less than a heartbeat.

I'd assume that his renewed interest in Lostara Yil ties into this as well, as he needs to remind her of her past ("You've forgotten, I once saw you dance") while
simultaneously making sure that he trusts her to a certain extent. Wasn't his first question about the extent of her relationship with Pearl?

Anways, totes agree.

#63 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Books

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

I miss Pearl.
HAIL THE MARINES!

#64 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Probably a variety of reasons, most of which have been said.

I think Shadowthrone and Cotillion like Kalam, and may have decided to screw over Pearl in retaliation for the latter's treatment of Kalam in DG. Another reason for Apsalar to have no qualms about killing Pearl.

I really think the idea that they had Apsalar kill him to prevent his revealing the truth of Felisin's death to Tavore is a good one. As for why not Lostara Yil as well, I think it's pretty much been said, that she's a lot more trustworthy to Cotillion.

Lastly, didn't the Claw sabotage and eventually actively seek to destroy the Talon, and then their remnants? Perhaps, in addition to the practical reasons to get rid of Pearl, Cotillion was a bit upset about that, and as a high ranking Claw, Pearl would probably have been quite active in that old nastiness.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users