• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did I totally miss something?

#1 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

I just don't really understand why Apsalar needed to kill Pearl (well Cotillion, since he gave Apsalar the list). Why would Cotillion and/or Ammanas want Pearl dead? Did he really pose a threat to anything High House Shadow could have been up to? I mean it seemed to me he was only interested in imperial matters. Can anyone shed some light onto this subject.

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

We aren't entirely sure, however both Shadowthrone and Cotillion may still have an interest in the empire. Whether this is an active interest or just a "We really don't want Laseen ruining our plans" interest is unknown.
Of course, the two usurpers of Shadow may just like watching Laseen trying to squirm out of a mess they would never have gotten into. Sort of like revenge, really. :)
So no, you didn't 'miss' anything, it is probably an as-yet unresolved plot strand, most likely to be dealt with in the Return of the Crimson Guard.
Sorry, CCB, but that is not a reason that they wanted him dead - he was already on the list before that.....
It may have added to the incentive, and it was certainly the reason for the treatment of him.

Anyone else know anything?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

Revenge for Pearl doing the dirt on Kalam in Deadhouse Gates is one reason that springs to mind.

Pearl always struck me as something of a loose cannon or wild card anyway - someone who would happily confine himself to Imperial matters so long as they coincided with his own interests, but could ultimately go in any direction. Part of what made him cool, but I bet the CG would have liked to get him on-side.

#4 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

Well, CCB, as Silencer said, Pearl was on the list long before Kalam was killed. It is why she stayed with the 14th, because last she knew Pearl was with them. The whole issue with Kalam was just the reason she had killed him in such a painful manner.

Hmm, I hope some more people might be able to piece together some clues. I really hope Pearl was killed by Apsalar for a good reason...he was one of my favorite characters...:)

#5 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

I meant back in Deadhouse Gates, where Pearl was masquerading as Salk Elan.

But anyway, I'm on a re-read of BH at the moment, so if I can find anything extra I'll let you know. :)

#6 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:00 PM

Ooohh, that's what you meant. Well, that makes a lot more sense...but I don't think that would provoke Shadowthrone too much.

Also I haven't yet read Reapers Gale so I don't know if it sheds any light on the subject. Can anyone tell me without major spoilers possibly? :)

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

No light, quick mentions kalam once or twice but nothing was revealed. He's not happy with ST though.

#8 User is offline   tharinock 

• Captain

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:51 AM

maybe st or cotillion like Kalam, and are tired of Pearl trying to kill him.

#9 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:21 AM

OR because pearl was on the list we can make an assumption that he was part of something else that had not been reveiled as of yet, we dont know everything about pearl or his past, but It seems unlikely that he was on that list just because he was a top claw...

What else he could have been apart of I dont know....
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#10 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:25 AM

Pearl was half Tiste (Andii?). Not sure what that could imply in regards to ST's interests though.

Only thing that comes to mind is the war between the claw and the talons. Apsalar did pretty much whipe out the claw (or am I remembering it wrong?). Mallick Rel had infiltrated the claw, and so Lasseen was loosing control. An incentive for ST could be that his plans require a certain stability in the Malazan Empire. But then again, Pearl was on Apsalar's list from the start of tBH. Lets label this a crazy theory. :)

EDIT: pans are plans not pants :D
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#11 User is offline   tharinock 

• Captain

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:36 AM

unless shadowthrone, while he doesn't like Laseen, still wants his empire to be as good as possible. he sees that the claw is in shambles, and knows laseen is better than mallik rel and korbolo dom. Then he kills off claw he suspects are there men, and has to kill off others to avoid suspicion. Eliminating Pearl would ease a lot of suspicion. another note: maybe he wanted Pearl as a servant. Remember how shadowthrone healed all the kids and made them his army? maybe he can do that with pearl too? ir even make a deal with hood to ensure his control of pearl. obviously, this is all "crazy theory" material, but might as well toss it out there.

#12 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:09 AM

He may heal those who are not dead.. the kids were still dying, as they were crucified
Pearl's dead. Lostara killed him good.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#13 User is offline   Lancelot 

• Captain

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Mebra was also on the 'List' and he was killed by a NO assasin, maybe Pearl was involved with the 'Nameless Idiots' a la Mebra and Shadowthrone was not a happy bunny about that.
Let There Be A Way Through The Waters

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

ST and Cot gave Apsalar a list and she was working her way through it. For whatever reason, Pearl was on that list.

Possible reasons include doubtful loyalty, likelihood he would change sides opportunistically, or for his involvement in something past. I'll go one further and speculate his relatively high position in the Claw made him a target, as a) the Claw was one of Laseen's best tools, and B) Rel was subverting the Claw.

Apsalar did not kill him until he chose Laseen/Rel's side and went after Kalam/Tavore, and ultimately (almost) killed Kalam. Unclear if she would have still killed him if he hadn't chosen to follow Laseen (ie: if he had helped Tavoire instead).

It's somewhat unclear just how badly the Claw and/or Black Glove were affected by serious beating they took on Malaz at the end of TB. The Claw was already smarting after Kalam spanked them in DG, but the losses in TB were severe for what is, at least in theory, a group of assassins, not an army (ie: harder to replace losses).

Back to Nequam's original question tho', ST/Cot's interests include the Empire, Meanas, and a fairly wide web of interests that include the Azath, the conflict with the Crippled God, and what seems to be a conflict with the Nameless Ones... Pearl could have been tagetted for any of those, or just because he was a very good assassin and could become a player in the future.

- Abyss, blames the game, not the player...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

Abyss;236017 said:

ST and Cot gave Apsalar a list and she was working her way through it. For whatever reason, Pearl was on that list.

Possible reasons include doubtful loyalty, likelihood he would change sides opportunistically, or for his involvement in something past. I'll go one further and speculate his relatively high position in the Claw made him a target, as a) the Claw was one of Laseen's best tools, and B) Rel was subverting the Claw.

Apsalar did not kill him until he chose Laseen/Rel's side and went after Kalam/Tavore, and ultimately (almost) killed Kalam. Unclear if she would have still killed him if he hadn't chosen to follow Laseen (ie: if he had helped Tavoire instead).

It's somewhat unclear just how badly the Claw and/or Black Glove were affected by serious beating they took on Malaz at the end of TB. The Claw was already smarting after Kalam spanked them in DG, but the losses in TB were severe for what is, at least in theory, a group of assassins, not an army (ie: harder to replace losses).

Back to Nequam's original question tho', ST/Cot's interests include the Empire, Meanas, and a fairly wide web of interests that include the Azath, the conflict with the Crippled God, and what seems to be a conflict with the Nameless Ones... Pearl could have been tagetted for any of those, or just because he was a very good assassin and could become a player in the future.

- Abyss, blames the game, not the player...

Could this also link Korbolo and crew to high house shadow...are the pons of Shadowthrone??
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

xanth13;236025 said:

Could this also link Korbolo and crew to high house shadow...are the pons of Shadowthrone??

That would be an awesome twist but after Rel's involvement in the end of the Chain of Dogs, it seems unlikely.

- Abyss,....or does it....?

#17 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

Urb;235941 said:

Pearl was half Tiste (Andii?). Not sure what that could imply in regards to ST's interests though (snip)

Um... actually Topper was half Tiste Andii, as revealed in GoTM.

Pearl was good old fashioned human. He is described as below in HoC

HoC UK mmpb p. 284 said:

"Tall almost effeminate man, clothed in grey, a placid smile on his handsome features as he took a step into the chamber."

Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

sky_walker;236032 said:

Um... actually Topper was half Tiste Andii, as revealed in GoTM.

Pearl was good old fashioned human. He is described as below in HoC

Actually iirc, Pearl was one quarter Andii. He says so in either DG or HoC.

- Abyss, notes he could have been lying of course...

#19 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

@ Abyss - Hmm... I recently reread DG and HoC... didn't find any such mention that I can remember
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#20 User is offline   Lancelot 

• Captain

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Yeah i can remember it, he's explaining to Lostara about something........@ work so no quotes (which means it didnt happen i know;) )
Let There Be A Way Through The Waters

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users