• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question on Dassem Ultor...

#41 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

haha no problem mate,I like the title :mad:

well I haven't read RotCG or TtH yet,so my info is not up-to date.To be honest it fits better in my mind thinking Dassem was mortal when he started creating an empire with Kellanved and Dancer but the theory in my previous post isn't completely crazy right?I mean these things could have happened...unless RotCG and TtH are clear on the matter

anyway many people who were not born during the time of the first-human- empire seem to know about Dassem's past and his personal tragedy so I admit it's very unlikely that Dassem is 100.000 years old :p

#42 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

And if he was, was his daughter 99 978 years old, or did he only get around to shagging in the last century?! Duh duh dun!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#43 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

I suggested that his daughter was taken from Hood during the first chaining
She can stay for 99.978 inside the Azath,can't she?
Anyway,there's no real point,it's just the comment about "the first sword reborn" that made me really curious...

#44 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

Well, inside the Azath, time stops, doesnt it... So i suppose in theory it could be possible.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#45 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:29 PM

Lisheo;341457 said:

Well, inside the Azath, time stops, doesnt it... So i suppose in theory it could be possible.

It does?

#46 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

Yes Thats why
Spoiler

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#47 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Counter-example: the body of the FA seen at the entrance to Tremorlor in DG had decayed to "a nest of bones and rotted clothing."

Perhaps being in the Azath stops ill-effects, but I don't think it stops time. That's putting it too strongly.

Spoiler

#48 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

DM, that last sentence needs to be spoilered.

EDIT: And a mod/admin/modmin/Moomin? got in there first. Excellent.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#49 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, I don't think we fully understand the Azath Houses' effects on time. Sure, we know that Kellanved and Dancer and (I think) the Old Guard got their longevity from the Deadhouse, but we don't know the exact mechanism behind it.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#50 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:57 PM

Illuyankas;341690 said:

DM, that last sentence needs to be spoilered.

EDIT: And a mod/admin/modmin/Moomin? got in there first. Excellent.

Oh, sorry. I hate doing that. It is hard to remember your answer is a spoiler when the question was already one and you didn't notice that.

#51 User is offline   BeLeG 

• Captain

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

Spoiler

#52 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:29 PM

STOP PUTTING POST MOI SPOILERS IN A MOI THREAD
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#53 User is offline   Cerberus Maw 

• Corporal

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

Posted Image

#54 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 24 October 2007 - 05:41 AM, said:

Dassem fell only about a year before the events in NIGHT OF KNIVES.

Which means it hasn't been too long at all relative to the events in the main Malazan books. Less than 10 years before the events of Gardens of The Moon (and by extension Pannion etc) I'd be reasonably sure.

As to how old Dassem Ultor was before his fall, that, is open to question. And how long had he been in the service of Hood, I don't know.

There is only one Dassem Ultor in Malazan history as far as we know. There have been many "Chainings" throughout their history, but the one referenced above was the most recent. Hope that is relatively clear?

The old guard seemed to be older than they should be, I think their time semi ascending in the deadhouse helped with that... he probably looks about a fit and healthy 40.... but may be like 100 XD

#55 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostVaddon Ra, on 15 April 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

View PostBinder of Demons, on 24 October 2007 - 05:41 AM, said:

Dassem fell only about a year before the events in NIGHT OF KNIVES.

Which means it hasn't been too long at all relative to the events in the main Malazan books. Less than 10 years before the events of Gardens of The Moon (and by extension Pannion etc) I'd be reasonably sure.

As to how old Dassem Ultor was before his fall, that, is open to question. And how long had he been in the service of Hood, I don't know.

There is only one Dassem Ultor in Malazan history as far as we know. There have been many "Chainings" throughout their history, but the one referenced above was the most recent. Hope that is relatively clear?

The old guard seemed to be older than they should be, I think their time semi ascending in the deadhouse helped with that... he probably looks about a fit and healthy 40.... but may be like 100 XD

Well if you look at the prologue of GotM the timeline is the 93rd year of Kellanveds rule. Dassem was one of those who made him emperor, so he is 100+ easily, probably close to 130

This post has been edited by Andorion: 15 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

#56 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

I hate to copy ILLY HERE BUT

STOP PUTTING POST MOI SPOILERS IN A MOI THREAD

IF you think something happened after the book that your posting in then don't post it. Easy

- Vengeance

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users