• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rugby World Cup 2007

#101 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

Youre just pissed cause your team lost to Johnny's boot...yet again :p

But your scoring system wouldnt work...if penalties were only two points and Goals 8 then it would make teams play more negatively in defence...they would illegally spoil ball more often as the repercussions are minimal compared to conceding a try.
Defenders spoiling ball would be terribble to watch and would slow the game down tremendously.
A team would then rather give up 3 penalties in front of the poles in a row than concede a 8 pointer...think about it, it wont work :o

The penalties being three points make sense...it makes a team follow the rules in fear of the penalties piling up and that is what lets the game flow better...the defenders following the rulse...not the attackers wanting a try more!
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#102 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

dktorode;212838 said:

Youre just pissed cause your team lost to Johnny's boot...yet again :p

But your scoring system wouldnt work...if penalties were only two points and Goals 8 then it would make teams play more negatively in defence...they would illegally spoil ball more often as the repercussions are minimal compared to conceding a try.
Defenders spoiling ball would be terribble to watch and would slow the game down because a team would rather give up 3 penalties in front of the poles in a row than concede a 8 pointer...think about it, it wont work :p

agreed :o :p :p

#103 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

hahaha my post disappeared so i wrote a new one and low and behold there Dessembrae got it...weird man...weird
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#104 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

Saffers, Frogs, Poms, Argies, Sprinbok and ABs... what are you guys on about? Shouldnt this be in the fantasy section or the writers section? :o
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#105 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

Trem is what you would call "OUTA THE LOOP"
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#106 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

Sombra;212828 said:

I think the scrum needs work as well. I sat and watched them try to form 7 scrums at one point, it's a goddamn joke. Plus the massive disparity between northern and southern hemisphere referees. One bunch love the game, the other bunch love using the whistle and getting screen time. I'll leave you to figure out which is which. :o

Not even gonna make a proper reply to your points suggestions, as what it would really do is turn it into league, eventually.

The scrums I agree with though. I remember watching the first match after the new rules came in. Bath vs Gloucester, maybe. I assumed the whole touch-pause-engage would be great, because there would be a smaller impact on the shoulders, so less jarring of the vertebrae, which is what they were trying to do. Then they use it, and it's still exactly the same, they just have to tap each other's shoulders first. If they had to hold onto the other prop as they engaged, it would make it both safer and more stable.

I don't watch much southern hemisphere domestic rugby, and when I do it's usually south african (currie cup?), but I know for sure that english referees at least are an absolute shambles. Just be glad you didn't have Chris White. Spreadbury is the only decent ref in england, and he gets let down by his linesmen all the time. Wayne Barnes? Whenever he's reffing at matches I see, he barely seems to even know the rules.
Am I suprised that forward passes got ignored? Not at all - it happens four or five times a match, domestically. Refs just don't care, they've got so much to look for it's almost always missed. I've seen a lot of forward passes even at the world cup too which have gone un-noticed, let alone punished. They're a little bit stricter at the line-out, but even then, the ball almost never goes straight, and it's ignored, even by the linesman who is standing directly behind the hooker. Idiocy, but neither are something that would suprise anyone who watches british domestic rugby.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#107 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

Shiteful, just shiteful. Thank fuck I was getting pissed after watching ManU do Wigan instead of this shite.

Allez les bleus!

Actually Argies are my sentimental favourites now...

#108 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:09 AM

Bah! :o

Spoiling tactics in front of the post wouldn't be a problem if the refs would man up and send the bastards off for professional fouls - which is what they'd be. The useless bastards blow the whistle when they're not supposed to, and then refuse to when they should, and even then they give 5,000 warnings and still do nothing. Send the pro foulers off a few times and we'll see a shift in player behaviour. And watch the goddamn forward passes (which are now almost endemic in the game because of referee laxity) instead of the cameras!

And yes, I'm pissed because our team lost to kicking. But I'm more pissed that they didn't even put up a halfway decent fight, but went out like softcocks. Did you see their attitudes before the match? England looked hungry, Austrlia looked bored. Unforgiveable.

And as for it becoming more like League ... maybe not that far. Still, at least League seems to be the more freeflowing game these days ... :p

There will always be a place for the proper lineout and scrum, the kick for touch, the kicking in play and duelling for field position. Just run it properly.

Heh, we always have these discussions during world cups of any sort. Funny that. :p

Cheers,

La Sombra, laxity not laxatives - although they may make the refs run faster :lachen70:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#109 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

If the refs started going crazy with yellow cards we'll start watching games with 10 men vs 11...
Its hard for the refs cause once they set a precedent in a game regarding yellows, they then have to stick to it...so every time some one commits a penalty in front of the poles they must be sent off in the end...it would get out of hand...no the scoring system is fine as it is.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#110 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

Having proved my ignorance I now have a genuine question. I happened to be watching the Scotland - Argentina game last sunday and I noticed that the players' shirts seemed to be padded. Is that true and isn't rugby supposed to be played without any padding?

#111 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

The shoulder pads some players wear to protect themselves from dangerous tackles are really fairly flimsey. Less than a centimeter of foam, generally. It just takes a bit of the sting out of it when you're dumped on your shoulders.
The only time padding is worn other than that is to protect an injury, generally.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#112 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

Cheers Bwoody. :o

#113 User is offline   Mort 

• Captain

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:53 AM

@Trem

The padding has only been allowed for about 6 years or so. It's been allowed in Rugby League for about twenty. And the pads in both are a far cry from American football; they're even flimsier than good hockey shin pads.

#114 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:21 AM

Heehee, we're now at least the second best team in the world.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

One thing's for sure, I'm definately not working next weekend!

#115 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:38 AM

That was awesome.

Watching it with a couple of Irish lads who were cheering France made it all the sweeter.

Well played England, who predicted that two months ago?
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#116 User is offline   Mort 

• Captain

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:29 AM

Oh the potential pain... England going 2 in a row, with Catt and Wilko all over again... C'mon South Africa.

(Although I am willing to accept Argentina beating England by a drop goal!)

#117 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:19 AM

At least it's going to be a North vs South (hemisphere) final.

Go South! :o

Cheers,

La Sombra, will even back the Saffers if necessary ... :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#118 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

Well, whoever we come up against, it'll be a difficult game, not like that stroll in the park against the aussies.

I mean, the team in the final will have some real ability, having actually got past the quarter finals. And as easy as beating the aussies was, they're not really in the same league as the saffas or the argies, so we'll have to concentrate a bit. :o

#119 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

More importantly, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northam...ire/7044141.stm

#120 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

:o but oh well. SA don't look as ominous as they did in the group stages, but it'll still be a tough'un.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users