Mma/ufc

#21 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

No-God;201735 said:

It's absolutely accurate.

Steroids give you the recovery to work out more, but steroids don't make you stronger.

They also give you th ability to increase muscle mass more quickly. Bigger muscles = more strength.
Error: Signature not valid

#22 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:00 AM

Randy Coulture is starring in a prequal to the Scorpion King. I'm not sure what to think about that.

#23 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

thats a bit wierd considering he's older than the Rock.

and that Stephen Sommers & Brendon Fraser are currently filming the mummy 3.

The only problem i have with the idea is that it could well screw over Randy's training schedule, as happened with Lennox Lewis when he was caught up in filming for Ocean's 11. He ended up getting thoroughly beaten because he hadn't prepared properly, and Randy is 40-odd years old now.
meh. Link was dead :(

#24 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

He's not playing the same character as the Rock. He's playing the bad guy.

#25 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:39 AM

UFC 74 bulletins and thoughts:

RANDY COUTURE - STILL THE UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION. It sucks that Gonzaga was hampered by the broken nose, but Randy executed perfectly and showed again why he's the champ. I'd like to see Gonzaga work on his takedowns from the clinch or shooting - his stand-up ain't bad and his ground is probably borderline-awesome, but he couldn't segue to and fro with a thirty pounds lighter guy.

Georges St. Pierre put on a clinic. Passed Koscheck's guard every time he wanted to, stuffed the takedowns and stood toe to toe with equanimity. Kos looked surprised at how strong GSP was and really got taken out of his game plan.

Huerta needs to fight someone good.

Stevenson wrecked the other dude.

I knew Kendall would lose.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

amphibian;206004 said:

UFC 74 bulletins and thoughts:

RANDY COUTURE - STILL THE UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION. It sucks that Gonzaga was hampered by the broken nose, but Randy executed perfectly and showed again why he's the champ. I'd like to see Gonzaga work on his takedowns from the clinch or shooting - his stand-up ain't bad and his ground is probably borderline-awesome, but he couldn't segue to and fro with a thirty pounds lighter guy.

Georges St. Pierre put on a clinic. Passed Koscheck's guard every time he wanted to, stuffed the takedowns and stood toe to toe with equanimity. Kos looked surprised at how strong GSP was and really got taken out of his game plan.

Huerta needs to fight someone good.

Stevenson wrecked the other dude.

I knew Kendall would lose.

Well, that pretty much sums it up. Overall a good night of fights. Next one is in 2 weeks.

Who's the next challenger at heavyweight?

#27 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

Free UFC from England, on tape delay here in the states Saturday night Looks to be a good one..

#28 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;207819 said:

Free UFC from England, on tape delay here in the states Saturday night Looks to be a good one..

Yah.

Mee watchee in bah and get drunkee. Hopefullee, chickees not too uglee.

#29 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

there is no way Bisbane won that fight. judging is starting to look bad....like boxing and pro-wrasling.........that sucks

#30 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:11 PM

Bubba;207932 said:

there is no way Bisbane won that fight. judging is starting to look bad....like boxing and pro-wrasling.........that sucks

I will give you the essential transcript of Hamill's post-fight interview:

#31 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;206008 said:

Well, that pretty much sums it up. Overall a good night of fights. Next one is in 2 weeks.

Who's the next challenger at heavyweight?

they're trying to get Fedor to sign up for either an end of year fight(couture might not be ready) or superbowl weekend fight.

Josh Barnett is a previous ufc heavyweight champ(beat couture for it) and last fought in pride.

Nogueira is now in UFC (fought at ufc 73) and could be a potential opponent. Dana White said that Nogueira would be the top contender if he wins his next fight, which will probably happen before Couture is ready though. If Nogueira loses, the winner may or may not be the top contender.

Arlovski has one fight left and has been held out of fighting for quite a while because of it. He is one of the potential top contenders but White says he is the top contender one day and the next he's not.

If Brandon Vera beats Tim Sylvia next month, that could put him as the top contender as well. Sylvia is the former champion and Vera is 8-0 so far.

If they sign Fedor or Barnett, I would probably expect them to be the top contenders(Fedor first of course). Barnett could be a nice fight for Arlovski or Nogueira as well, with the winner becoming the true top contender.

#32 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:02 AM

I still don't think Mirko's right foot is fully healed. He just wasn't rotating all that effectively on it. Kongo looked like he'd taken the "zero ground game" comments to heart and worked on it. Mirko looks like he's given up on learning or refining counter-striking, combinations and ground game.

I saw Kongo knee Mirko three times in the balls. Once in the first round and twice during the ref stoppage later. And I guess he broke one of Cro Cop's ribs too.

Bisping looks so natural on the ground. Watching him, I kept thinking "Why isn't everyone else like this?" Then I remembered how hard BJJ is to get really good at. Hamill totally won that fight though.

I missed the other fights 'cause I wasn't able to get to the bar fast enough. Which is usually not a problem I have. Will watch them later.

#33 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

i think crocop needs motivation. he wants to fight fedor, and hes said that. after winning the pride grand prix, the only accomplishment that has eluded him was defeating fedor.

he probably won't get fedor, but he should get a big fight to get motivated. give him arlovski, give him barnett(sign him first), give him vera if he beats sylvia. hes beaten barnett before(in the pride grand prix) and it would be a good fight for both crocop and barnett since barnett left ufc with the title and would want to return in strong fashion beating someone he lost a title fight to previously. crocop, on the flip side, would gain a lot of respect back if he could beat barnett

crocops only other solution is to drop down.. hes on a very low end of the heavyweight range and pride lists him as 205lbs, so it probably wouldnt be difficult for him to actually drop down and fight 205. fighting guys bigger than you all the time is tough.

#34 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

He's said he doesn't want to drop down. He should. I think that he's just too one dimensional. He's no threat from his back, and has mediocre takedown defense. Even his striking only looks to be effective when he is in control of the fight. If someone takes it to Cro Cop, he gets uncomfortable. I think Coulture would whip Cro Cop. It's disappointing though. I had high hopes when he came over.

#35 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

couture definately would. noone has perfected the sport like couture has, and couture isnt necessarily the biggest or strongest. thats why id like to see couture and fedor.

anyways, he needs to do something.. take a break, see a shrink, do something, or ufc wont renew him at the price he wants. arlovski is going through the same problem and he damn near carried the ufc heavyweight division until this year

#36 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:26 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;200300 said:

1. Anderson Silva: Best pound for pound striker in MMA?

After watching a few videos, yes. It's as if Gumby had lead weights in his hands and feet.

I don't think he's quite got the raw power of the other elite middleweights, but his strikes are so fluid, fast and well-timed that it's not a problem. I can't think of anyone else who can do stand-up on the level Silva does.

He loses only if someone can do what Couture does - take him off his game and overpower him in clinch/top mount. And that's going to be real hard to do. Gotdang, I'm a fan now.

#37 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:58 AM

good fight night.. solid fights..

as far as TUF, i wish Roman Mitichyan wasn't kicked off due to injury.. that guy was hilarious and i dont care if he fought like a stiff, it would still have been better than joe scarola being afraid to fight

#38 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

paladin;209573 said:

good fight night.. solid fights..

as far as TUF, i wish Roman Mitichyan wasn't kicked off due to injury.. that guy was hilarious and i dont care if he fought like a stiff, it would still have been better than joe scarola being afraid to fight

Yeah, Scarola was a disappointment. roman cracked me up. Not a bad start to the season. It got me fired up for the fights this weekend. Who's up for a Liddell fight?

#39 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

i didnt think scarola would be good.. you never pick your homeboy, he wont learn jack with you giving him preferential treatment.

that said, he also fought someone that was a king of the cage title holder and has some dozen or two professional fights under his belt

#40 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

paladin;209688 said:

i didnt think scarola would be good.. you never pick your homeboy, he wont learn jack with you giving him preferential treatment.

that said, he also fought someone that was a king of the cage title holder and has some dozen or two professional fights under his belt

I haven't been watching, but I remember reading this thing somewhere about Matt Hughes playing games with Scarola and Serra. Backstory: Scarola is Serra's longtime student. Hughes knew this.

Hughes apparently took Scarola aside and told him he'd be taken with Hughes' first pick - if Serra didn't grab him. Hughes then proceeded to sit back and watch Serra panic and take Scarola with the first overall pick, which let Hughes take his pick of the better fighters remaining. Did this make it to air?

Share this topic:

• 77 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users