• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mma/ufc

#61 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:32 AM

cuban likes to tell it from a mountain though

it would be a coup for sure, but i think we would have known about it by now.. what if its WWE? hahahaha God save us all

#62 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

allegedly its the owner of the Dallas Mavericks.....
meh. Link was dead :(

#63 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

I watched the UFC last night. It wasn't too exciting, but I guess they can't al be great. Tim Sylvia is a putz. I would rather watch someone fight themself than fight him. Most boring fighter ever. Slva destroyed Franklin again, no surprise there. I wonder what Franklin will do now. He can beat absolutely everyone in the division except the champ, who he will never beat. Time to switch weight classes?
Error: Signature not valid

#64 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:38 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;215473 said:

I watched the UFC last night. It wasn't too exciting, but I guess they can't al be great. Tim Sylvia is a putz. I would rather watch someone fight themself than fight him. Most boring fighter ever. Slva destroyed Franklin again, no surprise there. I wonder what Franklin will do now. He can beat absolutely everyone in the division except the champ, who he will never beat. Time to switch weight classes?

205 is f-ed seven ways to Sunday. Franklin would have to wait forever for a title shot - assuming he's able to get through the fights necessary. If he drops down, he'd have to contend with GSP, who might actually be able to give Silva a good match, Hughes, Penn and possibly, though unlikely, Serra.

I think Franklin's just going to have to come to terms with being a perennial second-best. Either that or strap some rocket boosters to his fists and feet.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#65 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:49 AM

HIs new nickname will be The Gatekeeper. If you want a title shot, you have to beat Franklin first.

#66 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:40 AM

I want to restrain myself from basically worshiping Silva, but he remains one of the most fluid fighters I have ever seen, both standing up and on the ground. I don't think I've seen any moments (outside the Lutter fight where he was fighting on two post-op knees) where he looked out of position or wildly off-balance.

Whatever his training methods are, they work. However, if Henderson does drop or Filho comes in, the showboating (dropping the hands and chancy strikes) can and likely will be exploited. Until then, it's a genuine pleasure to watch someone show his personality, confidence and ability by taking the chances and landing them.

#67 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

So apparently UFC signed Brock Lesnar to debut some time in January/February. Who is a f'kin beast. Could be amusing...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#68 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:04 AM

caladanbrood;215604 said:

So apparently UFC signed Brock Lesnar to debut some time in January/February. Who is a f'kin beast. Could be amusing...

I'm looking forward to it. He's go the pedigree from wrestling in college. He should be ablee to pick up enough skills to be a factor.

#69 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

didn't Lesnar demolish some guy in about 30 seconds in his MMA debut earlier this year? could be fun....

#70 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

yes, but he was a powderpuff compared to what he'll face in the ufc

fighting heavyweight, he'll have plenty of trouble with guys like sylvia, crocop, etc.

#71 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

I think he could ground and pound crocop. Sylvia would probably beat him in one of his patented most boring fights ever.

#72 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:48 AM

well what im saying is that experienced people usually give inexperienced people a rough time, and outside of collegiate wrestling a decade or so ago, hes only had one real fight on the books and it was against a powder puff.

#73 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:19 AM

paladin;219633 said:

well what im saying is that experienced people usually give inexperienced people a rough time, and outside of collegiate wrestling a decade or so ago, hes only had one real fight on the books and it was against a powder puff.

At 285 or slightly less, he's still going to be a beast to move around. I think Lesnar's going to be decent enough to crack the top 20 in a couple years by virtue of being ridiculously strong and very quick for his size.

It all depends on his stand-up: if he can follow Couture's dirty boxing-to-clinch-to-ground pattern, he should do fine.

#74 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:51 AM

Wanderlei Silva vs Chuck Liddell is official for November 29. Predictions?

I think Silva will win a TKO in the first.

#75 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

dunno if it will be that quick, but the last few fights Liddel has been successively less and less impressive.

don't get me wrong, i'm sure he could still hammer a lot of guys, but he just doesn't seem to be really trying any more.

I'll go for Silva in the 2nd.

#76 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

liddel and silva have wanted this fight for years and silva is more rusty.. the movitation is there, it will be execution that matters. ill give liddell an early edge, but at his age i give silva the fight if it goes too long

#77 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

I am hereby announcing that I am officially NOT on the Fedor bandwagon. I read somewhere every day how he's the best fighter in the world. I call bullshit. He hardly fights, when he does it's not quality competition. Maybe several years ago, but I think he knows he doesn't have it anymore, which is why he's not jeopardizing the money train by taking a risk and fighting someone real. Not a bad choice for him to make from a business standpoint, but as a fight fan it annoys me.

Not only do I not think he's the #1 Heavyweight in the world, I don't even think he would be the #1 heavyweight in the UFC, had he signed with them.

~Luxury Yacht, ranty ranty rant rant.

#78 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;234067 said:

I am hereby announcing that I am officially NOT on the Fedor bandwagon. I read somewhere every day how he's the best fighter in the world. I call bullshit. He hardly fights, when he does it's not quality competition. Maybe several years ago, but I think he knows he doesn't have it anymore, which is why he's not jeopardizing the money train by taking a risk and fighting someone real. Not a bad choice for him to make from a business standpoint, but as a fight fan it annoys me.

Not only do I not think he's the #1 Heavyweight in the world, I don't even think he would be the #1 heavyweight in the UFC, had he signed with them.

~Luxury Yacht, ranty ranty rant rant.

I dunno, my only exposure to Fedor is my recent attempt to increase my MMA knowledge, digging through the MMAlinker archives - he's definitely had some impressive showings - the recovery from Randleman's 'murderplex' chief among them imo...but yeah, in order to hold the #1 ranking you have to fight the contenders. One can look at that situation two ways: he doesn't want to move to the states and sign an exclusive contract with the UFC because he wants to continue competing in Sambo at home, which would be understandable - OR, as you suggest, he's ducking the best competition out there and picking his opponents to increase his chances of continuing/ending his career in a positive way (and his Russian fans won't care about the UFC right?) Either way, the UFC isn't interested in 'loaning' fighters or collaborating with other fight orgs so unless M-1 becomes a viable competitor to UFC somehow, we might as well forget about Fedor, regardless of our respective opinions about his present status among the world's MMA heavyweights.

#79 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:29 AM

HEre's another thing. What do you think the odds are that these Russian fight companies are in no way involved with the russian mafia? I don't know if I could watch a show in russia with russian fighters without thinking that every match might be fixed.

#80 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:11 AM

The only legit top five heavyweight Fedor hasn't beaten yet is Captain America. Barnett is still unsigned, so it might be possible that M-1 will put on another Fedor-Barnett card before making any moves. Right now, I don't see how someone can really say anyone not Fedor is the #1 heavyweight, but if Couture convincingly demolishes Big Nog (if this fight happens), then you've got an iffy case to make. There are way too many "ifs" in my sentence there.

On a side note, HDNet/Cuban is televising M-1's New Year's lackluster card. I knew those two would hook up somehow, but not to show Fedor beating the crap out of a gimungous tomato can.

Share this topic:

• 77 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users