• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mormons....you down with that?

#21 User is offline   tharinock 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

What I mean is that don't Mormons require you to do the mission? also, facts show that it is the fastest growing religion in America, so I guess plenty of people find it believable.

#22 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

it is part of the religion yes, just like a barmitzvah or confirmation

#23 User is offline   ashley_88 

• Recruit

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

I just thought I would post a little something about the whole mormon discussion taking place. As a member I believe in the holy ghost, and the holy ghost guides me through every decision I'm going to make in my life. If you were to talk to anyone who converted, there is an overwhelming connection with the chruch. Also the love and kindness the church teaches is amazing. For example when Katrina hit, trucks with aid from the Mormon church was already well on its way. I have no problem going out of my way to help anyone else, and I think you would get the same answer from any other member. :)

#24 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

ashley_88;249641 said:

I just thought I would post a little something about the whole mormon discussion taking place. As a member I believe in the holy ghost, and the holy ghost guides me through every decision I'm going to make in my life. If you were to talk to anyone who converted, there is an overwhelming connection with the chruch. Also the love and kindness the church teaches is amazing. For example when Katrina hit, trucks with aid from the Mormon church was already well on its way. I have no problem going out of my way to help anyone else, and I think you would get the same answer from any other member. :)

Its been noted that Mormonism is much lke any other religion, except that it has not been around as long as the large ones.

@ the person who said 'christians don't believe mormons are christians', are you slow? Thats like saying Jehovah's Witnessess are not christians, because you havn't looked into their religion at all, and regurgitating what your church (or ex-church) leaders have told you.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#25 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

ashley_88;249641 said:

Hi ashley, I understand there is a belief in an ancient society that independently wrote the mormon bible around the same time as the christian one. Could you tell me how widely held is this belief in the mormon community?

#26 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

Cold Iron;250127 said:

Hi ashley, I understand there is a belief in an ancient society that independently wrote the mormon bible around the same time as the christian one. Could you tell me how widely held is this belief in the mormon community?

Now this I have not heard.

Do you have a linky or something, or are you digging for more info as well?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#27 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

Mormons do believe in a lot of strange stuff.

Just like all the other religions.

#28 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Dolorous Menhir;250159 said:

Getting the feeling you aren't religious :)

Of course all religions believe in "strange stuff". Anything that cannot be proved or explained comes off as "strange" doesn't it?

I'm not religious at all but I respect all their beliefs. I think Mormons get a bad rap sometimes....most I've met are very nice people. A lot of uneducated people think they all have 6 wives and things like that. Go and take a look back in history, many of the world's religions have allowed more than one wife at times...yes..even Christianity.

#29 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

Dolorous Menhir;250159 said:

Im Dolorous Mehir, and I didn't add anything to this thread.

Seriously, talk about what beliefs mormans have that other religiions don't that you find strange.

This isn't a 'lets say religions are stupid' thread... unless I missed the memo?

#30 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

I don't know much about Mormons beliefs, I'll be honest.

They do believe that Jesus visited the US right? Like a second reincarnation after his initial death?

#31 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

The South Park episode has a rather comical look at Mormonism, I reccommend it strongly. It's obviously overdone, but the basics of what they believe are all there. I can give you a link if you like?

#32 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

Haha, sure, go for it.

#33 User is offline   James Hetfield 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Women, alcohol and MBotF

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

I'm a LDS. a.k.a. Mormon Any questions? Ask me. Been a member for 21 years and proud of it.

#34 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

Uh...sure..hmm

1. What are the main differences in your theology as compared to Mainstream Christianity.

You know...Catholics revere Mary way more than other denominations...as an example.

#35 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

They triid to convert me once, walking around the place where I live. Very politely, I told them no. While they were polite, well-dressed and everything, they were rather insistaent--they even offered to pick me up on a Sunday to got to their church service.

WHile I may not be a deeply religious person (cept for the fact that I pray everyday, once a day), I identify myself strongly with my religion (Greek Catholic, aka Uniate), due to the fact that my church played an integral part in creating the Ukrainian national identity. As such, while I may not follow its rituals very closely (don't even have a baptismal certificate), belonging to it is an important part of who I am. I have nothing against Mormons and thei beliefs, but the way they were trying to converty me did not leave a pleasant impression.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#36 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:34 AM

I feel like that with Jehovah's Witnesses. I just want to explain calmly to them, as if they were children, that waking me up by knocking at the door very early in the morning is not the best way to convert me, especially to a religion that has no christmas presents or blood transfusions. Swine!

#37 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:26 AM

[quote name='Obdigore;250132']Now this I have not heard.

Do you have a linky or something, or are you digging for more info as well?[/quote]

wiki:
[quote name='"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Mormon"']Origins According to the LDS Church

The Book of Mormon was first published by Joseph Smith, Jr., the Church's first prophet, in March 1830 in Palmyra, New York. According to Joseph Smith's written account, the book is a translation of the gold plates which contained the writings of many ancient prophets in ancient Meso-America between approximately 600 B.C. and 400 A.D. It is believed to be a record of God’s dealings with some of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains the fullness of the gospel. Their words, engraved on gold plates, were quoted and abridged by a prophet-historian named Mormon approximately 370 A.D.

The record gives an account of two great civilizations. One came from Jerusalem in 600 B.C., and afterward separated into two nations, known as the Nephites and the Lamanites. The other came much earlier when the Lord confounded the tongues at the Tower of Babel. This group is known as the Jaredites. After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are among the ancestors of the native Americans, according to LDS scholars.

After Mormon completed his writings, he delivered the abridged account to his son Moroni, who added a few words of his own admonitions and teachings, and finally, hid the plates in the hill Cumorah.

After his calling as a prophet of God, Joseph Smith said he was directed by the angel Moroni, who had initially deposited the ancient record, to obtain the gold plates. According to Joseph Smith's account, On September 21, 1823, Moroni, then a glorified, resurrected being, appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith and instructed him regarding the ancient record and its destined translation into the English language. Joseph stated that Moroni gave him an account of the former inhabitants of this continent, and the source from whence they sprang. He also said that the fullness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in the record, as delivered by the Savior to the ancient inhabitants. Moroni also stated that there were two stones in silver bows—and these stones, fastened to a breastplate, constituted what is called the Urim and Thummim—deposited with the plates; and the possession and use of these stones were what constituted seers in ancient times; and that God had prepared these stones for the purpose of translating the book.[/quote]

#38 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:30 AM

Alot of the feelings about Mormons are more historical then actual religious differences. Most people have no idea what Mormonism is besides those guys with ties who ride the bikes around.

However there were several conflicts around the country between Mormons and non-Mormons that have led to some prejudices that alot of people don't even understand. Part of this was the living out in the desert and having alot of wives. They were kicked around alot and in 1858 or so Buchanan who was president sent some troops against them. That didn't amount to much but it did lead to the Mountain Meadows Massacre, there was a wagon train heading west from Arkansas and the pioneers were killed by Mormon militia and some of their Indian allies. This is what led to alot of the bad feelings against Mormons.

You can see both views in the following articles, the first contains a passage from one of Mark Twains books, which is the relevant material concerning attitudes towards Mormons, keep in mind he was one of the most influential American writers in the 19th century.

The second is from the Church of LDS and tells their side. I think it speaks well of them that they acknowledge that this happened and don't try to sweep it under the rug.

Article 1: http://www.archaeolo...ws/mormons.html

Article 2: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgne...0a____&locale=0

Basically it was the use of the white flag as a means to trick the pioneers into leaving the wagons that has led to the belief that Mormons can't be trusted. This is a gross generalization based on the acts of a few, but we all know that human nature doesn't need much to form a stereotype.

There were alot of other reasons but this is the main one. (Sorry I'm in research mode right now.)

#39 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:46 AM

kud13;250281 said:

They triid to convert me once, walking around the place where I live. Very politely, I told them no. While they were polite, well-dressed and everything, they were rather insistaent--they even offered to pick me up on a Sunday to got to their church service.

WHile I may not be a deeply religious person (cept for the fact that I pray everyday, once a day), I identify myself strongly with my religion (Greek Catholic, aka Uniate), due to the fact that my church played an integral part in creating the Ukrainian national identity. As such, while I may not follow its rituals very closely (don't even have a baptismal certificate), belonging to it is an important part of who I am. I have nothing against Mormons and thei beliefs, but the way they were trying to converty me did not leave a pleasant impression.

You're Greek Orthodox Kud? My father (he grew up in Greece) was Greek Orthodox until he married my mother here in America...she is Catholic...and the way he says it...and he doesn't talk about it much...he got kicked out of the church for marrying my mom.

Is this a possibility or is my dad not telling me something?

#40 User is offline   James Hetfield 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Women, alcohol and MBotF

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

Main differences in theology?

God, Jesus and Holy Spirit are three seperate entities. Not one with three names.

We revere Book of Mormon as scripture as well as other prophecies called the Doctorine and Covenants as well as the Pearl of great Price.

We claim to have a modern day prophet, not just dead ones of two thousand years.

Not just Heaven and Hell. You get what you deserve and there is no burning world of fire where sinners spend eternity.

Also we believe you must lead a good life and not just profess Jesus as your savior. No death bed repentance.

These are just a few.

P.S. Brandon Sanderson is also Mormon. Great guy.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users