• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mormons....you down with that?

#1 User is offline   Ivan the terrible 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Okay might have been done to death, i think South Park covered it quite well
Polygamy etc, etc i don't really care if some 40000 radicals in Utah bang a different broad each night. But seemingly, their numerous marraiges allow them to overcome such objectification of bitches, which still dogs the rest of the Western world. Or so some link from a BBC article implied, i can't find it anymore...bur regardless

And most of the stuff about yer man Smith is associated with just seems so wacky it has to be American. But my query is i have never actually seen any Mormon text....have you? Is it even well written? How can you write some of that stuff in seriousness.

#2 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

The Book of Mormon is the official Mormon/Church of Latter Day Saints addition to the Bible. They are essentially a protestant religion with some added stuff, much like any other protestant religion.

As far as polygamy, polygamy is not sanctioned by the Mormon church anymore and is prosecuted by the state and federal governments. Polygamy in the Mormon culture was originally introduced because the settlers had a skewed female to male ratio, from what I understand, and was not necessarily a "religious" practice. The current practicers of polygamy in the Mormon culture have been excommunicated by the church.

As far as wackyness, well, any religion has things that may be too fantastic to believe. Religion is a belief, whatever it is you believe in.

#3 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

Smith's only mistake was to found his religion in modern times. If he'd started Mormonism 2000 years ago rather than 150, it would be all good.

#4 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

Part of the problem with Mormonism is that it is too recent. It is easier to accept some wild religious tale that happened thousands of years ago. Suspending your disbelief is more difficult when said events took place 250 years ago.

That being said, i think they have some strange ideas. Native americans are really displaced jews? The garden of Eden was in Independance, Missouri? Jesus came to America after he was crucified? Spirit babies? Magic underwear? Magic spectacles? Becoming a god with your own planet? Recruiting as many people as possible into the religion, when you believe that there are a limited number of spaces in heaven? That's just to name a few of the strange ideas.

Regarding polygamy. Those who still practice it are not considered to be Mormons by the church, but theey still consider themsleves Mormons. Much like non-radical muslims will say suicide bombers are not true believers of islam, but those bombers certainly think they are.
Error: Signature not valid

#5 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

I went to school with a veritable boat-load of Mormons. They were, for the most part, decent folks. Some odd ideas about the world but good people nonetheless.

Like pretty much all religions, I find their ideas ludicrous but hell, at least they're pleasant about their theological poison.

I actually work with a feller who just converted to Mormonism. However he's borderline retarded and I'm not sure if he joined because he had a religious epiphany or because he finally found a group willing to hang out with him.

I sure hope he gets fired from my workplace. The man drives me insane.

#6 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:29 PM

mormon chicks are hot and very frisky... mmm repressed religious chicks.

#7 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

paladin;193705 said:

mormon chicks are hot and very frisky... mmm repressed religious chicks.

I've only experienced the repressed catholic chicks. Still, I have to agree.

#8 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:41 AM

they're similar, though mormonism is a bit more repressive by nature, so you can imagine the effect on the little minxes

#9 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:20 AM

wait...south park was serious...lmao...wow...i never knew...
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#10 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:56 AM

Jen said:

wait...south park was serious...lmao...wow...i never knew...

That's the scary tthing. That episode was actually very accurate. Brutal and mocking, but the facts were there. I've heard one of the guys who does South Park was raised mormon, but i don't know how true that is.

#11 User is offline   Stahlgewitter 

• Recruit
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:11 AM

Mormons aren't considered Christian by a lot of Christian societies.
I attendd a mormon sunday-whatever once. Pretty boring, and no speaking in tounges. I guess pentacostals are more fun.

#12 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:09 PM

who's seen the south park take on the mormons? enough said.
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#13 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;193749 said:

That's the scary tthing. That episode was actually very accurate. Brutal and mocking, but the facts were there. I've heard one of the guys who does South Park was raised mormon, but i don't know how true that is.

Yes, I've resurrected this thread from the dead, just to say that I think Trey Parker was raised Mormon, and Matt Stone's mother was Jewish but he wasn't really raised Jewish. And that I haven't seen the Southpark episode on Mormonism, but Orgazmo was hilarious.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#14 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

Nothing against them.

The difference seems to be the absrudities of regular christianity are just a little easier to ignore or accept because its so commonplace. This here whippersnapper religion isnt any crazier, it just less well entrenched in our cultures and have fewer followers, so we can see its crazy clear as day.

#15 User is offline   councilor 

• High Fist

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

no, the only reason that the mormons are considered a bit crazy is due to the fact that their religion has been around for substantialy less time than the major ones. it's one thing to belive when the origins of your religion have been lost in the mists of antiquity, another entirely when everyone remembers the golden slabs etc. also, you can't use the "thousand of years of belief argument to get new believers, or to convince people".
Question:

Does being the only sane person in the world make you insane?

If a tree falls in the woods and a deaf person saw it, does it make a sound?

#16 User is offline   tharinock 

• Captain

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:33 AM

The problem is Mormonism is a very aggressive religion. they are always trying to convert new people. Also, some of the theories can be passed of as textbook nationalism. Smith believed the the Native Americans were displaced Jewish tribes and that the garden of Eden was in America. The fact that America has everything can be passed off as overblown nationalism, whereas the commonplace religions don't really have the same type of potentially nationalist ideas. Also, polygamy gave mormons a bad name despite the fact that they no longer endorse it (a fact not very many people know). But honestly translating ancient tablets with seer stones in a hat is no less plausible than en entire sea parting or curing diseases with divine power or being reincarnated as a goat.

#17 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

I know I've picked on you before tharinock, but you make it hard to resist. Especially when you single out a religion for aggressively trying to convert people. That's what religions do, it's not some freakish aspect peculiar to Mormonism.

#18 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

And why should it be a problem? You ever date a mormon chick? it's not like they get jealous!

#19 User is offline   tharinock 

• Captain

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:57 AM

what i meant is that it is more aggressive than other religions. if i remeber correctly they require all members to go out recruiting for a year.

#20 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

mormons go on two year "missions" as missionaries. they are like any other missionaries. they goto another place(a friend of mine went into rural mexico) and help out the community while doing standard preaching as well.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users