Malazan Empire: What are you? - Malazan Empire

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you?

Poll: What are you? (193 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you?

1. Atheist (128 votes [37.87%])

Percentage of vote: 37.87%

2. Agnostic (53 votes [15.68%])

Percentage of vote: 15.68%

3. Christian (77 votes [22.78%])

Percentage of vote: 22.78%

4. Muslim (12 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

5. Buddhist (1 votes [0.30%])

Percentage of vote: 0.30%

6. Jewish (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

7. Hindu (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

8. Pagan/Wiccan (10 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

9. Fusion of Several Religions (10 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

10. Other (43 votes [12.72%])

Percentage of vote: 12.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

i'm a religion of 1

#22 User is offline   Zale 

• Corporal

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

I was raised a Protestant, but my parents (well my mother, I imagine my dad doesn't give a flying one about religion) did it in an open way so that I could think about these things for myself rather than be swamped in doctrine.

I usually say I'm still at the "haven't made my mind up yet" stage. It has been pointed out to me that the Bible is occasionally self-contradictory, is likely to be full of translation errors (in some editions, "thou shalt not kill" is "thou shalt not murder" - severely less restrictive!) and thus probably not the literal word of God. I really dislike the way religion is organised into large get-together-and-say-stupid-words-together sessions. It's too full of ritual to actually mean anything. Worship should be personal. You're meant to have a personal relationship with God, right?

I also don't approve of having to appeal to a higher moral authority. Why can't you make your own judgements and be willing to accept the consequences of them? I appreciate the Bible (or whatever holy book) laying down some moral guidelines which are wholly good for the society, but I take objection at the "because God says so, now shut up and sit on your hands" part.

However, some of the things I've seen in the sciency world make me somewhat reluctant to entirely reject the possibility of some kind of God (protein synthesis anyone? Forget about wings & eyeballs, how the hell did THAT happen by itself?) and also I don't wanna reject anything without much more evidence than "there is no evidence".

I also quite like some of the philosophies found in Buddhism, but I don't know near enough about them to discuss them or want to make a lifestyle out of them.

I guess that makes me an agnostic then, a fence-sitter. I imagine I'll find out one day. Until then I'm not too bothered.

#23 User is offline   rlfcl 

• High Fist

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:09 AM

i was raised partially Greek Orthodox and partially in the United Church. ie probably both the most dogmatic and least dogmatic churches around, respectively. My path to atheism took place gradually over many years. So where at one point i carried a small icon of jesus around with me, i now no longer waste my time worrying about a mythical afterlife or supernatural all-seeing entity.

#24 Guest_Monk_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:07 AM

Christian. Protestant, I guess, although I don't like the idea of identifying myself as a protestor of another branch of Christianity. But I'm not Catholic (just catholic!), so it helps give people an idea of where I'm coming from.

#25 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

Note for the creator of this poll. You spelled "atheist" wrong.

#26 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

I bet it's so he can go "lol, most of you say you belong to a group that doesn't exist lolol" ;)

No, I'm not being serious...

#27 User is offline   Wiggles 

• First Sword

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

He's from the frostbitten north, its forgivable. (actually, its not, considering )

#28 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

either atheist or agnostic...

Basicly I really don't think there is anything watching over us, or supernatural or anything like that, however, if there is, AND that creature requires us to obey a random set of rules (ie no meat on fridays) to prove that we do believe in such a thing, then that is not a being I am interested, in any way, in worshiping.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#29 User is offline   Aimless 

• First Sword

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Atheist, with a hint of cinnamon ;)

#30 User is offline   temp 

• temp

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

I want to be religious, I am open to the possibility that there is some greater being(s) with some master plan, however I won't believe in anything unless there is proof. Sadly, there is no proof, so i'm atheist.
The price is wrong bitch!

#31 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

I am devout, and worship and strongly believe in the entity known as myself. I follow the ways and traditions that myself has formed since the beginning (of myself), and shall go about it and keep those holy ways until the end (of myself). And yay, shall the light be cast by He who was born on a winter day in Ontario, upon me, and it is by His words that I shall live by, 'til the end of His (my) time. And there is truly nothing holier in this universe than Him (relative to himself ;)).

#32 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

So... You're a Satanist, eh?

Cool. ;)

#33 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:08 AM

Lot of atheists here.

Anyone know what the actual global percentages are for religious uumm.. inclinations?

I mean, what percent of the world is what from a religious perspective. Anybody?

#34 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:16 AM

Something like this:
http://www.adherents..._Adherents.html

I doubt the validity of the above graph, btw. Just wondering if that's what you mean.

#35 User is offline   rlfcl 

• High Fist

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:21 AM

that graph seems fairly accurate, especially when you take into account that they are not differentiating between devout and "nominal" christians, muslims, etc.

#36 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:30 AM

It has nothing to do with whether or not I agree with the numbers, but that I don't know the credentials of that site.

#37 Guest_Monk_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:35 AM

I'm surprised by the number of Atheists that site gave...I thought the percentage was lower than that.

And the numbers there (at least the top ones, I didn't notice for the others) are similar or the same as at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia....t_day_adherents

#38 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

Just remember THat in CHina Religion is generally not seen as a good thing by the government and has been that way for quite a while so that would dramatically increase the number of 'non-religious' people.

#39 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

On the other hand, think Norway. About 84% are members of the Church, but noly 30% or so actually believe in the god that the Norwegian Church teaches. Then you have 20% people who believes in other gods, and actually a huge percentage of peopel who are atheist, but either can't be bothered to get removed from the list of members of the Church, or doesn't know they are on it (the Church is sneaky on that around here). If the numbers for Norway in this survey is based on what numbers the Church have, then you get entirely incorrect numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to find out other people are unintentionally labeled as religious, whilst they really are atheists.

#40 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

Conversely, in America, where there's something wrong with you if you are an atheist, many people will lie and say they are Christian when they're really fence-sitting agnostics.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users