Malazan Empire: What are you? - Malazan Empire

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you?

Poll: What are you? (193 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you?

1. Atheist (128 votes [37.87%])

Percentage of vote: 37.87%

2. Agnostic (53 votes [15.68%])

Percentage of vote: 15.68%

3. Christian (77 votes [22.78%])

Percentage of vote: 22.78%

4. Muslim (12 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

5. Buddhist (1 votes [0.30%])

Percentage of vote: 0.30%

6. Jewish (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

7. Hindu (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

8. Pagan/Wiccan (10 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

9. Fusion of Several Religions (10 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

10. Other (43 votes [12.72%])

Percentage of vote: 12.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#441 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:58 AM

It is not possible to disprove the existence of a God. Therefore I am a theist because I'd like to think that there is more to life than waiting to die. I identify as a Christian because I like the foundation it is built on, and I don't have to rely heavily on my own imagination when deciding what to and what not to believe. In the end we will all be surprised probably. Maybe more for some than others, but no one has it all figured out. unlike most, I do not hate religion, I do not hate atheists, I hate dogma. Those who are certain are the foolish.

This post has been edited by Tru: 13 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

#442 User is offline   sendo 

• Recruit

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hi im new to the forum and the Malazan series.

Im Catholic Christian.
i have seen this rumor born
a hundred thousand hunters of the heart
in a city bathed in blue light

#443 User is offline   Shpetim 

• Lieutenant

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 13 October 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Fundamentalist Christianity with literalist views of the Bible can be very black and white in their worldview. Thus, it's hard to go from that to a more "soft" version of Christianity, though you do have to account for the fact that there is a span of time in which doubt, anger, and hurt settle in while the still practicing religion. It, at least for me, was a progressive thing over 6 years that took a route through trying different churches, deciding to be more agnostic in my views and finally thinking that even agnosticism seemed silly for me. Thus, it's more of a purge than a switch.

And Shpetim, if you want to expand on your views, that would be fine, but you will have to accept hard questions as well that may be more offensive in nature. Again up to you. Religion is not a science, and often the two are at war with each other due to the history and "religion" of science.

Cannot believe I made the attempt at talking about it then seemingly chicken out. Sheeesh!.. ah well.. The Sodom and Gomorra story, as well as a plethora of other examples where God obviously has some anger issues, are the central reason why the majority of people I think, question the validity behind the assumption that God is all-merciful. Especially if you consider the Sodom and Gomorra story, where Lot (or was it the other guy? Jeez, obviously been too long since I've read the Holy Scriptures, see how devout I am? heh) begs God not to destroy the city since there may bee good fellows there, and so on and so forth, starting from ten guys, ending with two guys, and not even two decent guys could be found (I think you probably are familiar with the story so I hope you'll forgive my castrating the heck of it to nigh-unintelligibility) in the whole city! Which is... well unbelievable to say the least. The city would've eaten itself up within a generation if it really was only inhabited with thieving, murdering, raping, I know not what bastards!.. And let us not even mention the genocide committed upon the original inhabitants of the Levant (if it really happened which I doubt), where not killing them would've been a crime since no matter how morally reprehensible it may seem to us, to defy such an order is obviously even more morally reprehensible!??!??!.. I'm pretty much confused I have to admit. What else could I expect would happen to my head after watching video after video clip of Hitchens verbally eating up his opponents?
Peace and love to all.....

#444 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:30 AM

Quote resurrection :(
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#445 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

The Bauchelain of the Discussion world.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#446 User is offline   Shpetim 

• Lieutenant

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:15 AM

But, I do have to include another angle to the Sodom and Gomorra story: when Lot and his family are fleeing, after having been given explicit instructions NOT to look back, and his wife does and turns into a salt pillar for defying the order.. again, if one reads and interprets this story literally, one would most like come to the conclusion that God may be a psycho or whatever.. yet I think that there is some advice, or instruction or moral to the story that's indirect: leave the past be, rather keep your eyes forward since the past is done and unchangeable so all that would happen is you getting stuck when you could more actively influenced the present and through it, the future.

Good talk =).. been too long since I've visited here. Miss this I can see.....

If that was directed at me Maark, JIPPIDOOOOO!! happy it made me oh yes! I know it really looks sarcastic this lol, but I like any comparison with any character from the Malaz Universe! Excepting that idiot fist from the second book, Pormqual! OMG,.. Figuring out THAT name took me three seconds! STILL not sure if it was Lot or that "other guy..."...
Kinda funny sometimes, if not scare, all these self-reflections,..

Peace and love to all=)

#447 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

So we are still debating this, are we? :-)

#448 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

PERSON RESURRECTION!
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#449 User is offline   SwiftBenjamin 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:50 AM

Discordian Occultist who partakes in Hermeticism and Taoism for the most part.
Nemo saltat sobrius.

#450 User is offline   Fiddler Farstrider 

• Recruit

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

Just to keep the thread going...it's so rare I can be part of an internet forum that even allows for religious conversations.

Devout Orthodox Atheist.

Also a believer in the school of Absurdism.

The absurdity of life exists that it is your duty as a sentient intelligent being to constantly search for the meaning of existence but fully knowing that you will never find it (and even if you did you could not possilbe comprehend the intricacies).

This post has been edited by Fiddler Farstrider: 09 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users