Malazan Empire: What are you? - Malazan Empire

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you?

Poll: What are you? (193 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you?

1. Atheist (128 votes [37.87%])

Percentage of vote: 37.87%

2. Agnostic (53 votes [15.68%])

Percentage of vote: 15.68%

3. Christian (77 votes [22.78%])

Percentage of vote: 22.78%

4. Muslim (12 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

5. Buddhist (1 votes [0.30%])

Percentage of vote: 0.30%

6. Jewish (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

7. Hindu (2 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

8. Pagan/Wiccan (10 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

9. Fusion of Several Religions (10 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

10. Other (43 votes [12.72%])

Percentage of vote: 12.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

Since there are so many religion threads these days, I'm sort of interested in seeing where people are actually coming from. Call this poll a reference of sorts. So, if you could vote AND identify in a separate post, that'd be great.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   Wiggles 

• First Sword

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:11 AM

I'm a raging lesbian who gets ignored by sweet little you, but thats ok.

I believe in the great lesbian radish, so i guess that goes in 'other'

#3 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:13 AM

I'm not religious, I don't go to church, I don't pray, but I have faith in a god. Which option do I pick?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#4 User is offline   rlfcl 

• High Fist

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:30 AM

i'd call myself an atheist

loki, i think you might want to pick agnostic

#5 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:33 AM

Atheist.

Or if God makes an appearance and smites all the unbelievers, a spy. Don't smite me.;)

#6 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:37 AM

nah, loki's more like a deist.

I generally classify myself as Humanist (member of the American Humanist Association) but since that ain't up there I picked atheist.

@Wiggles - you praise Her name...
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#7 Guest_potsherds_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

rlfcl, Brood is most certainly NOT an agnostic.

He's either a non-church-going, or a non-religious Christian, or a theist.

Brood, if you follow the faith and values taught by Jesus Christ in the New Testament, you're a Christian, whether you find the trappings of church appealing or not.

If you believe in a personal god, one who cares about you, and whether or not you're a good little boy and you eat your vegetables, you're a theist.

Deists believe in something supernatural, removed from the silly everyday lives of humans, I've never gotten the impression that that is what you believe.

Everyone here knows I'm an atheist.

#8 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:15 AM

Atheist.

#9 User is offline   Wiggles 

• First Sword

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:13 AM

longhorn;149903 said:

@Wiggles - you praise Her name...

I praise Her and revel in her kindness... unless she's PMSing, then i believes in nihilsisticsness.

#10 User is offline   Dinivan 

• Captain

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

I voted allthough I'm really, really rarely on the discussion board, but never mind...

I'm a christian, allthough I'm going to church around 3 times in a year. The believe is one thing, the staff on the ground is another.

#11 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:08 AM

Atheist. Kinda makes the most sense to me.

and yeh, I'd also classify myself as Secular Humanist as well.

#12 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

I'm closer to an atheist than anything, but I can't make up my mind enough to commit to it. Agnostict, I suppose. Strangely enough, every time I go to church, which is rare, I believe in the possibility of God a little less. I wish I could either be convinced totally that there is a God, or totally convinced there isn't one. It would be nice to be sure, even if I was wrong.
Error: Signature not valid

#13 User is offline   D Man 

• High Fist

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:06 PM

Everyone is an atheist toward hundreds of gods.

I'm an atheist toward all of them.

#14 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

I am a Christian that has been tempered by Eastern elements. I am a Christian because I am meant to be a Christian. Questions of human existence, which take the form in many peoples as a belief in God, is a part of the human element. Whether there is a God or not, I feel this in and of itself lends importance enough to believe. Besides, no matter what scientific theory says, I can't bring myself to believe that the earth and we are all just one cosmic accident. That is just as far fetched as anything else.

The buddhist and taoist elements that temper my christian faith exist because I don't take the Bible literally, and also as informed acknowledgement that the Bible doesn't contain 100% of all truths. Other possibilities and philosophies just make too much sense. For those of you who would say, "if you dont' believe in christianity completely, how can you claim to be christian", I point to the hundreds of different christian faiths and interpretations as proof that there is no 100% human knowledge of the word of God.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#15 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

Shinrei no Shintai;150021 said:

Besides, no matter what scientific theory says, I can't bring myself to believe that the earth and we are all just one cosmic accident. That is just as far fetched as anything else.

Given the apparent size and sterility of the rest of the known universe, the "cosmic accident" looks not so far-fetched. Seems to me all those (apparently) lifeless stars and galaxies would be unnecessary for a sensible Deity to create in order to make life here. But what do I know...
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#16 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

Skeptic, atheist. Not religious at all. As far as I'm concerned, the religious are speaking a foreign language I've never learned, one that doesn't speak about the real world.

#17 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Atheist and proud.

Although only people who are alive would know that...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

I guess no one who has ever discussed aynthing with me at lenght will be surprised to learn that I am an atheist.

Religion is something I really don't understand. It just doesn't make sense. It's mindblowing.

#19 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

Atheist. Ex-militant one, you know, the kind that goes around laughing at nuns. Of course, since I left my (Christian - teach the lessons of Christ, with puppets!) primary school and grew up, I've had some really blinding 'discussions' with lots of Christians and a couple of Muslims, and nearly a fistfight with a Baptist, so I don't really like to get too worked up about it any more. Good old internet anonymity.

I don't really have a problem with theists or deists per say, more a huge problem with the Bible. As in, "How can you take this crap seriously!?" only more tactful. I'm sure the Koran has it's problems too, but since I meet so few Muslims either online or in real life, I don't get to discuss it in any real fashion.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#20 User is offline   Menandore 

• High Fist

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

atheist

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users