Malazan Empire: The Comics Thread! - Malazan Empire

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Comics Thread! SLAM! WHAM! KA-BOOM! KER-SPLODE!!!

#1821 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostHammerhead88, on 24 September 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

How fucking good is East of West!!

One of us! One of us!

#1822 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:47 PM

Finished East of West vol 8 and yeah, it was very good. And I also finished Bendis' massive Avengers run and thought it was good. I decided to read Hickman's Avengers run into Secret Wars next and man is it great, I'm about 10 issues in so far. This is comics at its best, from the plot to the dialogue and art, all amazing.

#1823 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:37 PM

View PostJPK, on 24 September 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

One of us! One of us!

View PostT77, on 25 September 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Finished East of West vol 8 and yeah, it was very good.

Gods yes. That comic is pure genius storytelling.
I knew Hickman was good after his SECRET WARRIORS and F4/FF run, but EoW consistently blows my thinkymeatz across the room.

He's stated it will end w issue #47 (#39 is out in Oct 2018), but i suspect he'll stretch it to 50.

And I also finished Bendis' massive Avengers run and thought it was good. I decided to read Hickman's Avengers run into Secret Wars next and man is it great, I'm about 10 issues in so far. This is comics at its best, from the plot to the dialogue and art, all amazing.

Damn you are on a solid run. The post-quality crash is gonna be brutal.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1824 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 September 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 24 September 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

One of us! One of us!

View PostT77, on 25 September 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Finished East of West vol 8 and yeah, it was very good.

Gods yes. That comic is pure genius storytelling.
I knew Hickman was good after his SECRET WARRIORS and F4/FF run, but EoW consistently blows my thinkymeatz across the room.

He's stated it will end w issue #47 (#39 is out in Oct 2018), but i suspect he'll stretch it to 50.

And I also finished Bendis' massive Avengers run and thought it was good. I decided to read Hickman's Avengers run into Secret Wars next and man is it great, I'm about 10 issues in so far. This is comics at its best, from the plot to the dialogue and art, all amazing.

Damn you are on a solid run. The post-quality crash is gonna be brutal.

^^This.

For me reading things after reading Hickman's various runs was like chasing THE GODFATHER PII with an Uwe Boll movie.

Hickman has written not one, not two, but three of my all time favourite comic arcs ever.

And yes, EAST OF WEST is insanely amazing. I usually save up 5 or 6 issues to read in a row...and I think I've got that many to read now...should be a good burst of Hickman.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 September 2018 - 05:53 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1825 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 September 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

...also reading the original Marvel GODZILLA comic run. This is sheer silly retro-70s comic joy. Some of it is glorious... like SHIELD chasing Godzilla around with helicarriers and giant robot suits, or Hercules getting stepped on, some of it is pure cheese... there is simply no credible way to write cowboys on horses chasing Godzilla that doesn't come across as dumb... about 12 issues in its a lot of fun.

Reached the end of the 24 issue run. It was consistent... cheesy as cheddar at times, but fun. Can't help but laugh when the FF and Avengers team up to take down Godzilla and get waved off by a 12 year old boy who just can't help but love the big ol cuddly fire breathing city stomping responsible for thousands of deaths lizard.

#1826 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

I read The Black Monday Murders volume one and very much enjoyed it. I like Hickman even more when he can work mean.

Scott Snyder's Wytches was very good as well, but not quite as infused with solidity as Hickman's world.

I still think the ending of Locke and Key is one of the worst endings possible for a good comic series that's ever been. It's been months now and my brother also feels the same way.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1827 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:21 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 September 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

I read The Black Monday Murders volume one and very much enjoyed it. I like Hickman even more when he can work mean.

Scott Snyder's Wytches was very good as well, but not quite as infused with solidity as Hickman's world.

I still think the ending of Locke and Key is one of the worst endings possible for a good comic series that's ever been. It's been months now and my brother also feels the same way.

I have a few Hickman works in the trp... PAX ROMANA, THE MANHATTAN PROJECT, TRANSHUMAN... am looking fwd to getting to them. BLACK MONDAY is on the radar but as its ongoing i figured i'd let it run a while.

I've heard good things re Snyder's WYTCHES... i enjoyed the first half of his AMERICAN VAMPIRE and am looking fwd to finishing the run to date. I want to read his DETECTIVE run eventually. We'll have to agree that you're wrong and your brother shares your wrong DNA to disagree re LOCKE & KEY.

#1828 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

You guys are right. As I've been reading his Avengers run I've been thinking about how much better this than most comics. This has certainly raised the bar for me.

#1829 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 September 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

I have a few Hickman works in the trp... PAX ROMANA,

I can vouch for this. It's self-contained, well written and almost more cerebral than his other stuff, but a solid, solid one-off book.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1830 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Having bought and read a load of existing series, I decided to jump on a few new series to read as and when released. I bought first issues of:

1. Cemetery Beach
2. Shanghai Red
3. Lowlifes
4. Bonehead.

#1831 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:24 PM

Big sale on SAGA at Comixology:
https://www.comixolo...id=26572&lang=1
$5 per volume ($4 for Volume 1) or $16 for the omnibuses (each collecting 3 volumes + extras)

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 28 September 2018 - 06:24 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1832 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

DC: NEW FRONTIER.

This is so so good.

Oh my spandex-wearing gods, THIS IS SO EPICLY AWESOME GOOD.

#1833 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:36 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 October 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

DC: NEW FRONTIER.

This is so so good.

Oh my spandex-wearing gods, THIS IS SO EPICLY AWESOME GOOD.

Told you! It’s brilliant start to finish!

#1834 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 28 September 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

Big sale on SAGA at Comixology:
https://www.comixolo...id=26572&lang=1
$5 per volume ($4 for Volume 1) or $16 for the omnibuses (each collecting 3 volumes + extras)

Also, if you're taking advantage of this sale (good through tomorrow) be aware that you can get Volumes 6-8 bundled for only $10!
https://www.comixolo...dle/bundle/1780
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1835 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

And now, a couple of mehs....

SUPERGOD by Warren Ellis and co.

Yes, yes, i know, i know.... but in between the mad glorious concepts and the stunning art (seriously issue five is just jaw-dropping page after page and i will be looking for other things Gastonny has worked on) is little/no story in particular. The gods themselves are barely developed, there's all of one human character, the narrator, who is essentially Ellis' proxy and who'se entire dialogue amounts to 'oops'. I think it took me less than 30min to read all five issues and ten of that was dwelling on the art in #5. Worth a look, not worth the money.

THE END LEAGUE, by Remender and co.

Basically, thinly veiled analogues (Astonishman, Soldier American... sigh) of the usual Big Two superheroes in a world where the badguys won. Conflict ensues. Nothing remotely surprising or original happens, and the last three or four issues felt hugely rushed like they had to wrap things up ahead of schedule. There were some neat nuggets there but they're largely un- or under-developed and overall it just didn't fly. Art is ok mostly, some artist shifts along the way don't help. Not recommended.

...so after that i needed something better than good. Taking a risk, i moved to the complete DC crossover 'DARK NIGHTS METAL' a friend had kindly passed my way. Said friend is completest so its the whole enchilada, crossovers and all. Just a few issues in but enjoying very much. I've been out of DC for a long while, NEW FRONTIER sort of resparked my interest, and this was a fun was to reexplore their universe.

#1836 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:27 PM

Been reading some great comics lately. Finished volume 1 of Moore's Promethea and thought it was fantastic. Love the premise and the art especially. I'm already into volume 2.

Also, still working my way through Hickman's Avengers and it continues to be epic. This should be held up as an example to young comic writers on how to write a comic.

Working my way through Starman too - about 15 issues in and I must say this is not living up to the hype so far. It's not bad and since I purchased the entire run during a Comixology sale, I'll finish it. I hope it gets better.

This post has been edited by T77: 13 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

#1837 User is offline   Hammerhead88 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:36 AM

Read the new issue of East of West. Wish I had waited for few more to come out first....

#1838 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 October 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

...so after that i needed something better than good. Taking a risk, i moved to the complete DC crossover 'DARK NIGHTS METAL' a friend had kindly passed my way. Said friend is completest so its the whole enchilada, crossovers and all. Just a few issues in but enjoying very much. I've been out of DC for a long while, NEW FRONTIER sort of resparked my interest, and this was a fun was to reexplore their universe.

And thus i am reminded why massive comics company mandated crossovers suck.

There were some neat ideas here... Batman is a badass, Big Bad recruits Evil Batmans from various elseworlds, invades, hilarity ensues. The Evil Batmen based on the core JL members are awesome, well thought out, suitably creepy, excellent advesaries. The start of the story was suitably epic, real stakes, convincing plot, nice easter eggs to old school DC storylines like Crisis... and then from just after the halfway point...
... so much of the various parts are... just bad. Badly plotted, badly scripted, horrendously dialogued. Seemingly important stories that are really just there so some B and C list characters can be written in. Writers in one book ignoring events in another... random plot jumps because its easier than showing how characters lost the fight or got to wherever... and FFS, whoever at DC thinks Detective Chimp is a character who needs to be front/center in anything should be relegated to writing those one-shots they do just to keep a trademark current.

There are great parts, to be sure. And the finale isn't a complete wash, tho chunks of it were.

Worth a read, not worth the money.

Needing a palate cleanser i started HORIZON

Posted Image

...four issues in, it's quite good. Aliens arrive to prevent not too distant future pre-environmental disaster Earth forces from invading their planet. Earth may have been waiting for them to do just that.

The art is reminiscent of DESCENDER and EAST OF WEST, with Mignola touches worked in. Does excellent action and the static beats are still nice to look at. Story is breakneck so far... chases, gunfights, last second rescues... it's a fast read to this point but the hints regarding the aliens' backstory and the humans' plans are engaging.

Worth reading, but ongoing, 18 issues/3 tpbs or so in, no end in sight just yet if that matters to you.

#1839 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

@Abyss. Horizon is on Hoopla, and now it's on my list. Thanks for the reco.

#1840 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 October 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 October 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

And thus i am reminded why massive comics company mandated crossovers suck.

There were some neat ideas here... Batman is a badass, Big Bad recruits Evil Batmans from various elseworlds, invades, hilarity ensues. The Evil Batmen based on the core JL members are awesome, well thought out, suitably creepy, excellent advesaries. The start of the story was suitably epic, real stakes, convincing plot, nice easter eggs to old school DC storylines like Crisis... and then from just after the halfway point...
... so much of the various parts are... just bad. Badly plotted, badly scripted, horrendously dialogued. Seemingly important stories that are really just there so some B and C list characters can be written in. Writers in one book ignoring events in another... random plot jumps because its easier than showing how characters lost the fight or got to wherever... and FFS, whoever at DC thinks Detective Chimp is a character who needs to be front/center in anything should be relegated to writing those one-shots they do just to keep a trademark current.

There are great parts, to be sure. And the finale isn't a complete wash, tho chunks of it were.

Worth a read, not worth the money.

Needing a palate cleanser i started HORIZON

...four issues in, it's quite good. Aliens arrive to prevent not too distant future pre-environmental disaster Earth forces from invading their planet. Earth may have been waiting for them to do just that.

The art is reminiscent of DESCENDER and EAST OF WEST, with Mignola touches worked in. Does excellent action and the static beats are still nice to look at. Story is breakneck so far... chases, gunfights, last second rescues... it's a fast read to this point but the hints regarding the aliens' backstory and the humans' plans are engaging.

Worth reading, but ongoing, 18 issues/3 tpbs or so in, no end in sight just yet if that matters to you.

View PostT77, on 19 October 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

@Abyss. Horizon is on Hoopla, and now it's on my list. Thanks for the reco.

Most welcome. I'm enjoying it. Am at ish 10 and it just flat out took me wholly by surprise. Twice. I do so love when a story does that.

Share this topic:

• 117 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users