• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 April 2022 - 09:00 PM

#11962 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 April 2022 - 10:01 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 April 2022 - 09:00 PM, said:

'Otyken is a siberian (russian) turkic indigenous people (khakas) music group.

The combination of traditional musical instruments and modern arrangement, overtone singing, special vocals and the charming sounds of khomus.

The Otyken has triumphed in different international festivals and has an enormous amount of funs in all over the world.'

Popular on TikTok too apparently:

'Our songs are sent to the moon in time capsule format on the Griffin space module. This is a private project "Lunar Codex" with the support of Space X and NASA'

Hope they'll someday be liberated from Russia (or at least Putin and his ilk)... though in the vastness of nature (and of music) there, there are forms of healing liberation....

#11963 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 20 April 2022 - 01:52 PM

New MV from Hitsujibungaku for "Stupid", from their 2nd full album "our hope" which is out today.

#11964 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 April 2022 - 09:45 PM

Hell yes. My all time favourite band have dropped a new song and video.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 21 April 2022 - 09:50 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11965 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 April 2022 - 09:10 PM

'"Mariupol'" means "City of Mary." [...]

[...] new song (released yesterday, I think, but with over 500K YouTube views) about the defense of the city, by the Ukrainian band Okean Elzy

The Sun rose over the Azov Sea
The wind blows over the dunes
It's cold, but the sand smells of Spring
My eyes have already gotten used to fatigue
There are too many reasons
I dream of how it will once again be good for you and me

[Refrain] No, the naval guns
Will not destroy my dreams
My heart will never betray my faith
For centuries will stand
The righteous city of Mary
While over the proud Azov Sea
The sun continues to rise

The sky thunders over the Azov
The enemy bombards us with his cannon
In the evening even the concrete smells of war
There is no time and no reason
To think how it will be tomorrow
The heart and the hands have long gotten used to battle

[Refrain] And the naval guns …

We remained ourselves
We wrapped ourselves in night
And our free mouths tightened from pain
But even to the deepest basements
The light will return again
The shout of the new day seeks to be free

[Refrain] And the naval guns …'

The City of Mary: A New Song About the Defense of Mariupol' (reason.com)

Meanwhile the #1 (zzzz$)hit in US is another mediocre white rapper---but lo, there's progress, unlike other recent megasuccessful white rappers he adopted a blaccent despite growing up in the suburbs. And he ditches the facial tattoos and 'flashy' (or artistic designer) clothes to focus his message on whining about how he hates people who wear expensive-looking clothes but aren't rich, whereas he is rich, and therefore good. Never mind he's not from 'the hood'.

Granted, he has apparently over the course of his rap career been surrounded by Black people, he was immersed in the underground mix tape scene for about a decade, and some Black people are certainly profiting off him---a lot like Iggy Izalea. But at least she rapped about physics (well... at least one line).

Was about to write 'well at least Fergie's getting royalties from the use of her samples' but now I see she's actually white too.

But Lil' Nas X did sort of endorse him in that song they did together. If only to say, 'Look at this silly white dude-bro whining about poor people looking too fancy and needing to give up designer clothes to embrace Jesus, meanwhile I'm alternately naked or fabulous in prison. Bitter bigoted whitebread with a blaccent (that we're milking for the money)'.

Early career pre-Blaccent Harlow starts about 1 min in:

Of course he partly picked it up from being immersed in the scene as an adult (it's natural for many people---especially some neurodivergent people---to pick up accents quickly and reflexively even as adults). And people should be free to perform (or speak) in whatever way they want---and if that's more beautiful or effectively expressive (or memorable, or any other way they want to optimize), it can certainly be positive (and liberating).

So perhaps acceptance of his aestheticized performative blaccent, which had been deemed largely verboten since the fall of Iggy, actually is progress. Ultimately it's the insipidity and unselfcritical bigotry of his lyrics (and the mediocrity of his flow and 'wit'---plus the lack of poetry beyond 'You ain't one of my dawgs, why do you hound us?' ) that irk me a bit.

'[Harlow's #1 song] "First Class" is a pretty shameless pander. That song title, and basically its whole chorus, is lifted directly from a prior No. 1 hit, 2007's "Glamorous" by Black Eyed Peas rapper-singer Fergie. [...] Fergie's solo blockbuster The Dutchess, which strained to sell her "urban," Stacey-from-the-block bona fides in a series of rap-adjacent pop tracks produced by Polow da Don and will.i.am. But in 2022, that hip-hop–lite vibe is easy pickings for Harlow[...] He pinches Fergie's refrain, "Ridin' first class, up in the sky" and intersperses it with little rejoinders: "And I can put you in (First class, up in the sky)." On the chorus, Ferg's chilled-out cheerleader chant, "G! L! A-M! O! R! O-U-S, yeah!" becomes Harlow's "I been a (G!)/ Throw up the (L!)/ Sex in the (A-M!)/ Uh-huh." If it reads dopey, it sounds even dopier, but Harlow sells it well enough. This song is product, and it sticks the landing.'

Jack Harlow "First Class" and Harry Styles "As It Was": The latest singles topping the Billboard Hot 100. (slate.com)

... then again just looked up the producers for 'First Class' and they're all white. So he's probably not always collaborating with and channeling money back to Black producers and Black communities as a rental payment for his blaccent.

See also (with video):

'Harlow has a very very heavy blaccent. [...] thought he was a black dude. So naturally I just assumed that he probably grew up in a black community in black areas just surrounded by black people his entire life [...] because the white token dudes that I grew up around [...] when I was in the hood they had a really heavy blaccent as well but it's because they grew up around all these black people, they were like submerged in this black culture. [...] all I see is little cringey white kids around him. He sounds like a cringey little white boy as well.'''

https://tinyurl.com/4fszjs8u

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 April 2022 - 05:29 PM

#11966 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 April 2022 - 05:03 PM

#11967 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 25 April 2022 - 08:36 AM

^^ Gachapin's shows are really good fun. I mainly like them because of KOGA. She's an amazing bassist. She, TOMO-ZO (lead guitar), Hana (who's on guitar and vocals here but used to be their full-time drummer) and Oreo (keyboards) are also part of the band DOLL$BOXX with Fuki from Unlucky Morpheus on vocals:

Those four also have a really fun occasional side project called Metallic Spin, where they play covers of Western HR/HM songs. This is them playing Rainbow's "Spotlight Kid".

#11968 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 25 April 2022 - 03:14 PM

Aina the End - Rainbow

#11969 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 26 April 2022 - 08:10 AM

I don't remember if this has been posted before.

#11970 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 April 2022 - 05:48 PM

^^ I think it was posted in the GoT show discussion thread back in the day. Not 100% positive about that though. I know it was popular when it came out and I remember seeing links to it posted to different sites and social platforms.

#11971 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 27 April 2022 - 01:30 PM

^^ I thought that might be the case - seemed hard to believe someone hadn't picked up on it before :lol:

After the full band's performance on THE FIRST TAKE last week, Hitsujibungaku's vocalist, guitarist and main song writer, Moeka Shiotsuka, is back on the channel to perform their wonderful song "When it shines" with guest guitarist Ohzora Kimishima.

#11972 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2022 - 09:02 PM

Walked down to the cemetery next to the University of Pennsylvania's Veterans Medical Center (wearing my P100 mask and bulletproof hoodie) to hear a local community group perform Ukrainian and Bulgarian folk songs using traditional 'vocal resonator' techniques. Choir of at least 20 people, all wearing crowns of flowers (singing outside).

Spoiler

'The technique is based on an open throat and free volume with a bright color. It uses all types of registers depending on many factors. Sometimes it is close to a controlled screaming or simply calling. Air escapes through the fully open throat. The upper and medium resonators, laryngeal cartilage, bones and air cavities in the head and throat are used. A characteristic feature of this kind of voice is its brightness, clearness (not in the meaning of voice color) or intensity. Although breathing can be taken at random moments of a song, it is a very important underlining expression.

It had been practiced since ancient times among the rural population in Central and Eastern Europe. Loud and clear singing originates from practicing in the open air while working in the field.

[...]

Best known contemporary bands that continue that style of singing (but are not based in villages and comprise rather typical modern city singers) are: Go_A, Drevo, and DakhaBrakha from Ukraine'

White voice - Wikipedia

#11973 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 May 2022 - 07:28 PM

#11974 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 May 2022 - 07:18 PM

#11975 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:58 AM

The amazing WagakkiBand are premiering selected songs from their Dai Shinnenkai New Year Party 2021 right now as part of Japan's YouTube Music Weekend. Not sure if there will be an archive, or how long it will be for if there is one, but their shows are always spectacular.

#11976 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:15 PM

Yeah yeah I know, more Linda Lindas, but dang, is there anyone cooler then them on the scene right now?

#11977 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 07 May 2022 - 10:24 AM

:lol: :lol:

#11978 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 07 May 2022 - 01:42 PM

Silly title, killer riff.

#11979 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 08 May 2022 - 09:26 AM

Selected songs from SCANDAL's 15th Anniversary show begins streaming at 10:35 today as part of Japan's YouTube Music Weekend.

#11980 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:22 PM

Share this topic:

• 613 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users