#1 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

The mother of all theories....

Okay I've been thinkin of the war between the Short tails and the original matriarchal K'chain chemail. I feel that there is an evolutionary step seperating the two sides kinda like neanderthalic man and early homo sapian man. Well this got me thinking that the K'chain must be some form of evolutionary offset of some otherl reptilian form just as we are supposedly the offset of some random simian form.

This would make a heck of a lot of sense if the k'chain were an evolved version of dragons since like the dragons they arrive from the malaz world from another dimension and like dragons they have a deep affinity and expansive connection with warrens in general I.e. warren of time.

The major problem with my theory is that dragons are in a matter of fact a much more advanced and powerfull form of existance and to degrade from a Tiam to a K'chain matron seems kinda backwards. Then it hit me.

Perhaps the k'chain is to the Elient what the tiste edur are to the Tiste Andii. I Imagine that somewhere in SE's multiverse there is a common entity that gave birth to the dragons and through some hot one night stand with some arb creature tiam kinda got ladden with what we now know as the K'chain. they get banished as is the family tradition and so they land up in the malaz world where they flourish.

The theory goes on but this is what I'm willing to risk for now.
:D
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#2 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

The Short-Tails are the evolutionary precursors of the KCCM, not dragons.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

Also... lets wait with these crazy theories that's starting to pop up about the KC/KN and their goings and doings (is that even a word?). We've got four books left and a lot of lizard activity in the BH, I'm hoping for a POV from a matron or hunter during the coming books. Let's wait and see what comes of this.

#4 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

hehehe my post shot down already? come on guys give it some thought. The k'chain are linked to dragons I can almost sense it.

Dragons=>K'chain=>short tails
look at the Wyverns? their definately related to dragons in some way so there must be a blood link. If you can step down to a wyvern why not step down to a K'chain?

how else would the Short tails know how to tap the power of sorrits blood?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#5 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

The Short-Tails are older than the KCCM. Seriously.

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Dolmen;112833 said:

hehehe my post shot down already? come on guys give it some thought. The k'chain are linked to dragons I can almost sense it.

Dragons=>K'chain=>short tails
look at the Wyverns? their definately related to dragons in some way so there must be a blood link. If you can step down to a wyvern why not step down to a K'chain?

I think there related. The only lizards of that size that pre date the KCCM are dragons. D Menhirs right tho the short tails came first. So maybe it goes Dragons-NR-CM? And as for wyvals there just creatuires from SD and maybe be related to Dragons. The wyval are considered spawn of the eleint (MT) so yeh there related.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

Dolmen;112833 said:

What makes you think it was the short tails? fragments of emurlahn manifested all over the place... including inside a sky keep... and then entrapped within a Jaghut ritual.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

Interesting theory.
Couple of points...

Kallor refers to the Short Tails as an older strain, but he doesn't know, and neither do we, that the KN are actualy older, just that they are related. In theory, given that it seems KC matrons can breed variations on the 'classic' KC drone to various purposes, ie, the Kell Hunters, for all we know, the KN were just another such variation that they decided they needed again.

I figured the K'chain in general were an evolved dinosaur, while dragons are what they are, extremely powerful lizard-like thingies. They don't seem to be native to the Malaz world, but given a world where things like the Deragoth, Eres, FA, TTT and Jaghut can all evolve, it's not impossible either.

- Abyss, yes, 'thingies' is a technical term.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Dark Mac 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

Dragons come from Starvald Demelain. We have no indication that the KC come frome there; their likeliest homeland is the moon. Also, dragons live long enough and spawn rarely enough that I doubt evolutionary changes would take place, much as new Tiste Andii are the same as old Tiste Andii.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

Now that raises an interesting point... if they were from the moon, their presence in the Imperial Warren could be due to evacuation when the Jade Chunks started striking it.

- Abyss, could be on to something there...

#11 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

I like that idea! It would make a lot of sense, although would the chronology fit? I seem to remember that the Skykeeps were in the Imperial Warren a long time before anyone noticed that the moon had disappeared...

One possible problem - we see Mogora do some magic where the moon appears to move...if she was able to move the moon I get the feeling it would be a major deterrant to anyone living there...

Or was it that she faked the moon's movement with illusion? I can't remember.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#12 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

she didn't move the moon, as that would have been too much power for her to use and not be detected or somesuch. Someone could probably look it up and post her actual thought when she is healing Mappo. (I am at work and do not have my books with me, and then im going out drinking, so i cant)
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

She redirected the moon's light over Mappo, not the whole thing.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:39 AM

Yeh apparently she could of tho which makes me wonder how powerful she is.

Abyss- A good idea that would make sense.

Sir thursday- But if these statues are heading for earth through the moon the KCCM would see it first and thereofre move. They would see it before we did

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:45 AM

Morgora had help from her god, Ardatha(sp?) (The Spider Goddess) and that was helping focus the power or light of the Moon. SHe didn't move it, even for a God that would seem awfully overpowered.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

I took the 'moon is lower' scene as being figurative. She didn't actually move it, but by way of magic, it looked that way.

- Abyss, disappointed no one rep'd him for the 'KN evacuation from the moon' thing.

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

Abyss;113241 said:

- Abyss, disappointed no one rep'd him for the 'KN evacuation from the moon' thing.

But hadn't QB et al already seen the Moon's Spawns in the Imperial Warren before the chunks started falling? :D

#18 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

Hetan;113242 said:

But hadn't QB et al already seen the Moon's Spawns in the Imperial Warren before the chunks started falling? :D

To answer your question from a previous post:

Tiam said:

Sir thursday- But if these statues are heading for earth through the moon the KCCM would see it first and therefore move. They would see it before we did.

I think Abyss has found the reason for the KCNR in the Imperial Warren...this seems like a very good idea!

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:45 PM

The Jade Chunks would have hit the moon a fair amount of time before hitting the world, and if the KN are as advanced as they're supposed to be, they may have seen them coming.

Also, i forget exactly where (VAISKI-SIGNAL!!!), but at some point, Kalam looks up at the moon and wonders why he didn't notice it was cracked or something.

As a tangent, i also forget where and what book, but someone once mentioned that 'Wu' has more than one moon, but only the one is generally visible.

- Abyss, howling at the moon.

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

Yes I read that, however... the moon hasn't disappeared?
And why would they evacuate the moon only to then appear on Wu, exactly where the jade chunks are heading for?
It makes perfect sense for them to appear in the Imperial warren as it was once their realm and has more than a few of their artifacts and devices. That they may be going to try and retrieve said items would also make some sense.

"The misshapen moon cast down a silvery light on the land — it was looking rougher round the edges, Kalam realized, as if the surrounding darkness was gnawing at it — he wondered that he’d not noticed before. Had it always been like that" p 159

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users