• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's Gale Prologue

#401 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

Wow... Finally got around to reading it. I finished my 4th readthrough of the entire series, so I thought it fitting to read it now.

And I kind of curse my decision for I now have more questions. Such as "Who are Kilamandros' children?" "Who are the soldiers who landed at Drene, and are they the same as the dead ones at the end? Are they, in fact, Malazans? Greymane's lot?" "What is Gothos going to do with the Finnest?" and finally" How is it that despite only being in the text for a few line, Anomander Rake is still immeasurably cooler than anyone else?"

Too many things - and I have to wait til April? CURSES!

Thanks Patch, you are a legend and I love you in a non-gay way. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#402 User is offline   ASAGO 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

well now that is done (BH) i guess I will order night of knives by ossleton and while i wait fro that i am going to start over this will be my fifth time reading these books alot of pages put togeather.

#403 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Do you mean Esslemont? Night of Knives is a great book, and it certainly helps you understand a few things that go on in the Bonehunters. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#404 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

Know what, reread MT. The Onyx wizards were defeated but it doesn't quite say that they were eradicated. They were the ones that led the survivors of the Edur betrayal and used their sorcery (underdeveloped sorcerors as they were) to hide the survivors from the hunting Edur. They seem poised for some act of vengeance though.. Alrhada said something in TB that they weren't as dimished as people thought they were. Maybe they're joining in the convergence on Lether...I mean, I know they're already there but I'm referring (as always) to that mother of all conflagrations. Maybe the Edur will be the ones defending Letheras like the Letherii did. And the besiegers? An alliance of some sort: the Barghast, Grey Helms, Grey Swords, Fourteenth, Blue Rose.

It's all shaping up to be another story of how a tyrant was deposed.
"We greet you Jaghut."

#405 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

I dont think it would matter. I think we can agree Edur sorcery is stronger than Letherii (bar the Ceda) and the Letherii beat even the Onyx wizards of blue rose. They may still be useful in a co alition though liked youve mentioned

#406 User is offline   ASAGO 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

when does reapers gale come out

#407 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

tiam;148338 said:

I think we can agree Edur sorcery is stronger than Letherii (bar the Ceda)

Not so sure if that's written in stone Tiam. I think Lether's greatest problem was overconfidence. They wove rituals across the entire battlefield and I think if the rituals weren't shattered by those 2 key mages falling from the towers to their deaths, they would have stood a chance. Bad as it was, they still managed to incinerate one K'risnan and launch that attack on the Edur camp, killing 3 Edur witches. Whatever caused the Keep's flanking towers to collapse proved decisive. They may well have held out in time for the Ceda to trap the demon. Had that happened, a Letherii victory would have been certain.

I think the sorcerers in Janal's cadre were unprepared and likely overconfident as well. Laerdas and the other surviving sorceress didn't seem prepared for the demon that rose in their midst... Even after it killed the sorceror, she was able to kill one K'risnan as well...and the other was nearly crippled. She was launching attack, after attack on some distant enemy (presumably the K'risnan).

In fact, I think that if there was a full unveiling like the attack they first launched, the Edur sorcery may well have been completely checked. At least, it would have proved too costly in wraiths, demons and K'risnan for the Edur to persist.
"We greet you Jaghut."

#408 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

ASAGO said:

when does reapers gale come out

March/April this year. :D

As for the Edur sorcery vs everyone else - it was an elder spirit that took out two of the greatest sorcerors in the Letherii emrpire. That think needed an elder God, the Ceda and a Jaghut to take it down. If that had been taken out earlier, the stakes would have been very different...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#409 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

It wasn't Elder TS. It was an old river spirit that came into existence from tribal worship. I later moved to the sea but suffered and nearly died but for Mael creating those dolmen to preserve the existence of such forgotten entities.

But you're right. Arahathan and Nekal Bara would have certainly made a big difference at Brans Keep but I wonder if their sacrifice wasn't necessary for the Ceda to grasp the depth of the predicament posed by the demon. I definitely believe that Lether still could have overcome the sorcery. It would seem that collapsing towers won't stop Nekal Bara.

I think I finally now realise why the Ceda said "the seas must be freed. It's as simple as that." The CG's magic twisted the K'risnan as it came from Rhulad's sword through them. At Brans Keep however, it was Hanan Mosag's ritual that created the main assault. The CG's magic was channelled through the sea demon chained to Hanan Mosag. With that buffer, he could have wielded the CG's magic for much longer without being destroyed in the process (unlike the K'risnan). Hence why the Ceda said that the problem was not singular. The demon had to be eliminated to make HM more vulnerable to the effects of the devastating power he was using...which is what happened in the Eternal Domicile. Otherwise, they would be at too great a disadvantage.

I bet the CG's still twisting the Edur warlocks in a similar way to the K'risnan because of his aspect...to make them broken, deformed objects. Those Edur that QB/Bottle/Eres contested certainly suffered for the cause.
"We greet you Jaghut."

#410 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

Oh you're completely right. I just thought that as the Spirit had much more power than the two mages then it would be anelder power. But of course, it's power came from the CG. I bow to your superior wisdom in these things. :D

And of course the CG is twisting his servants to malform them. It is his nature and aspect. He wants all his subjects to be flawed... His power comes with a terrible price (as he explained to the merchant at the beginning of MOI. :D)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#411 User is offline   wanton78 

• Recruit

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

sounds to me like the soldiers from perish or some similar faction of the grey helms (bonehunters pg 713?)

#412 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

Does any one know why Kallor is the Reaver in the House of Chains?

I thought he was offered the post of King.

Sorry if I stumbled off the beaten track.

#413 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

There's a question mark after that in the the glossary, I think. Kallor's position is not clear.

#414 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

Thanks. I like his character and was wondering what direction it was heading. I'd like to see him fight Rulad.

#415 User is offline   ASAGO 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:01 PM

Thank you Kallor, A question do you or anybody else know where i can get night of knives by esslemont

#416 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

Well it's available on amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search...gb-en-google-21
"We greet you Jaghut."

#417 Guest_Swordbearer_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for posting the Reapers Gale Prolog Kallor. another reason to look forward to springs arrival ;)
Finaly made it to the end of this immense thread, lots of theorys in here for sure.
My take.

Killmandaros is an elder god and as such was around since day one. Her children Forkrul Assail for sure, but IMO could allso include the Imass too. the stranded Tlan Imass clan that lost there Bonecaster refered to in MT might have been who she was threatening to unleash on Gothos's ass at Scabbys clobbering. Peoples can worship more than one god, so only makes sense that she could be god to more than one people.
Allso the past reference to the Imass outliving/outlasting there god,s might refer to Killys eventual demise, sad really if this is so, she sounds like she'd have been a good character.

The Huge war canoes. I think Barghast. but from where?... maybe they landed contacted by the leftover Onyx order then went into a warren or a lost fragment of shadow to hide.

The blond & red haired soldiers were Grey something or others for sure, maybe they were a scouting force in strength sent ahead by the Grey swords pre the meeting with Tavore they could have sailed west from perish to get to the Llether subcontinent always pays to scout ahead and they did seem to be aware and planned for how events had to to play out, for at least the prev 2 years.

Evidently Red scale mask is a native warrior/guide of the Awl Dan who's been gone for a long time, at first I thought his companions were Korbal Broach & Buchhellain on horses {drumbeats} but the part about the rake of Talons hising through the grass, makes me think otherwise.. unless they found out how to become KCCM soletaken with them anything is posible :eek: .
:outta:

#418 User is offline   sarlinspellweaver 

• Captain

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:25 AM

That was brilliant - cheers Kallor.

I am definitely going to have to re-read the books though, I've got myself into Tad Williams, George R. R. Martin and a whole host of academic stuff since last reading them, and I've just realised that I'm forgetting my Tiste Edurs from my Tiste Andiis - how embarassing.

#419 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

@ Swordbearrer: the canoes are Barghast indeed but they're probably from Capustan.. the ones underneath the council building that were uncovered.

The soldiers seem like Grey Helms (mostly women and Togg and Fanderay's emblem). They probably hail from Coral. something tells me that Rake may have had a hand in their getting there. Rake may be holding himself in reserve/readiness for something....perhaps Rhulad.

Today's suspicion from my wellspring of bitterness is that Rake will be killed in RG...something to do with Kallor and Rhulad. OUR Kallor did say that a LOT of characters die in the next book.
"We greet you Jaghut."

#420 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

Monoch Ochem;155260 said:

@ Swordbearrer: the canoes are Barghast indeed but they're probably from Capustan.. the ones underneath the council building that were uncovered.

The soldiers seem like Grey Helms (mostly women and Togg and Fanderay's emblem). They probably hail from Coral. something tells me that Rake may have had a hand in their getting there. Rake may be holding himself in reserve/readiness for something....perhaps Rhulad.

Today's suspicion from my wellspring of bitterness is that Rake will be killed in RG...something to do with Kallor and Rhulad. OUR Kallor did say that a LOT of characters die in the next book.

I'd be pretty gutted if he was killed in the next book, man. I wanna see him have a fight with Osserc first, and I wanna see him have a rematch with Draconus. And the rest of the Hounds. And the Seguli Sixth. And another thing, if he dies, and the sword is shattered in the process, there's going to be a shit load of dudes freed from within with bad attitudes and worse ideas.
Get to the chopper!

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users