• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's Gale Prologue

#261 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

Wow! So much to discuss! I’m currently in a re-read of all of the books up to BH. Right now I’m nearing the end of HoC. The problem is….no one’s done a FLOW CHART for the time lines. It’s gonna get really confusing in RG and then later in Dust of Dreams and the Crippled God….

Karsa is on a boat heading to the Edur….Will he kneel before Rhulad Sengar?

Enter Kilamandaros. Seems to me her lost children’s continent would be a great place for the ties to come together…for the tenth book.

But I’ve jumped the gun. Me thinks the red masked dude with the dreaded duce….companions with drums on their shoes/paws/hooves is an ascendant…agree? Anyone whose minions can wipe out an army…any army…much like the Hounds did in GotM….

#262 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

I don't think Karsa is the kneeling type at all...I'm fairly sure he would prefer to fight the Edur than submit to their rule.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#263 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

True but he IS the Knight in the House of Chains. Will he play by the Cripple God's rules? Or will he be like Gruntle and just not give a whoot.
And why isn't Gothol posted as Harold in any appen for the House of Chains?

But I disgress,

Canoes. Funny thing they are. Perhaps the Bargs could row em across an ocean but humans would get tossed like words flung by Iskaral Pust.
However, 500k could blend into the land IF they ALL veered into wolf form. TAH DAH! Ala-Gruntle-praire-cat/killing machine.

#264 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Karsa will not listen to the CG, he has already stated that he will play only by his own rules and follow his own ideas- I cant remember what bok ts in now but he clearly states he does not care about being the Knight of Chains, it's not his concern.

#265 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

It was in HoC at the end when he when he had one of his little mood swings which ended up killing all the sickos in the oasis AND the two Hounds of Darkness.

Tavore, "I'm relieved."
Karsa, "You should be.

But I digress. Someone should be working on a flow chart of time lines.

#266 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

I don't quite know what a flow chart is but there has been done work on the timelines, here:

http://www.malazanem...read.php?t=4459

Or try and check out the malazan encyclopdiea.

#267 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:25 AM

flow chart... like with flowing things... like a sideways bar graph, but not all the bars start at the same place - they start where the timeline starts for that event - or marks on a line -- a "TIME-line"... yes? And I really wanna read RG!!!

#268 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

Izingad;123052 said:

It was in HoC at the end when he when he had one of his little mood swings which ended up killing all the sickos in the oasis AND the two Hounds of Darkness.

Tavore, "I'm relieved."
Karsa, "You should be.

But I digress. Someone should be working on a flow chart of time lines.

The timeline is not important. The timline is not important! - Pallor :p
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#269 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

How can a timeline NOT be important if this is supposed to read like a history?

#270 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

SE has claimed he is leaving deliberate inconsistencies, as the books are intended to be a not-quite perfect history of events.

If you recall the very beginning of GotM, it opened with a passage by an unnamed narrator who hasn't been referred to again since. This narrator is either SE himself, or maybe Duiker or another Malazan figure, possibly one who doesn't figure in the series. That's the historian.

Your point about it being a history is the wrong way round. It's not that the timeline is not important - it is - but this is supposed to be a written history, and as such is unreliable.

Personally I think SE is hedging his bets a little, any series this large is bound to have internal errors, and this is a tidy excuse for them.

#271 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

There is a rough timeline here. Does this help?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#272 User is offline   Dark Mac 

• Emperor

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:35 AM

Dolorous Menhir;123930 said:

SE has claimed he is leaving deliberate inconsistencies, as the books are intended to be a not-quite perfect history of events.

If you recall the very beginning of GotM, it opened with a passage by an unnamed narrator who hasn't been referred to again since. This narrator is either SE himself, or maybe Duiker or another Malazan figure, possibly one who doesn't figure in the series. That's the historian.

Your point about it being a history is the wrong way round. It's not that the timeline is not important - it is - but this is supposed to be a written history, and as such is unreliable.

Personally I think SE is hedging his bets a little, any series this large is bound to have internal errors, and this is a tidy excuse for them.

So, we don't know the exact dates, but we know the thoughts of Brys Beddict and the Edur's ocean god before they died? Forgive me for thinking that's somewhat ridiculous. SE's just as mortal as everyone else, and like everyone else, he makes mistakes.

#273 User is offline   Jorram 

• High Fist

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

A lot of... :p

#274 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Ok ok, enough about timelines,

Dude in the red mask....acsendant? And his dubious minions...Hounds of Darkness?

Yet he thinks as would a mortal. He seems unsettled by the dead soliders of the twin Wolf Gods (F&T). I doubt an acsendant would be so unfamiliar to such violence. If so, then who/what are his dread companions?

Which begs the question:
Are these dead wo/men warriors of wolves the owners of the caneos? T'would make sense since Elingarth is not so far away (Home to the Grey Swords, MoI). Or just as likely A Meckros City floated off course to smash against the coast but not before the citizens of said floating fortress made a get away in their lifeboats.

#275 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

No, it wouldn't make sense that the dead army were the canoe people. There's a four year gap to consider, and I don't think there were a half-million dead on that field, yet they were annihilated.

#276 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:35 AM

i love how alot of ppl just ignore other possibilities to shoot other people's theories down, when previously said theories would give credence to the theory being shot down. The answer is probably a combination of all the theories said here, with fill-ins and removals, edits, replacements, etc etc.
Though I'm not gonna rule out that no one here is close either, becuz that would be foolish and totally opposite good reason and common sense period.

#277 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

A lot of people's theories are stupid, mine included. The whole point of having a discussion board is so we can debate each other's ideas, and where required, shoot them down.

This isn't a "post your theories, and everyone will agree that you might be right, but we don't really know either way" board.

#278 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:10 AM

at least have the decency to shoot ALL the theories down that account for the theory you're shooting down - thats my point. its rude to ignore people...

#279 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:12 AM

Ok Ok,

Who would win:
Gruntle or Baudin?
Rake or Karsa?
Kruppe or Pust?

Anyone got Vegas odds on these match ups?

#280 User is offline   The .303 bookworm 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:41 AM

Izingad;124489 said:

Ok Ok,

Who would win:
Gruntle or Baudin?
Rake or Karsa?
Kruppe or Pust?

Anyone got Vegas odds on these match ups?

Unknown, possibly Baudin.

Anomanderis Rake slaughter's Karsa. His magic is elder warren based and capable of arguably overcoming an Ottoral sword, in addition he's very skilled [7th among the Seguleh] and one hit from him=Win.

Kruppe

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users