• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup Final

#1 User is offline   Lord of Salvation 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

Ok so its official. Italy vs France this sunday, and on a minor not the consolation third place game is saturday between Germany and Portugal.

Neither team should be too exhausted, but Italy more so than France after going 120+ minutes, but they also have one more day of rest than France.

So after a fairly lame game between France and Portugal I am really looking forward to the final.

*NOTES*

Italy absolutely dominates posession against whomever they play against, and France got dominated by Portugal but managed to squeak through.

France are very succectiable to Counter Attacks and that is where Italy excels.

France as I have said before only ever get 2 or 3 shots on goal during the run of play. Against Portugal they got a measley 1 but the ever important Penalty. But Italy have the best defense in the tournament, and France has a stingy defense as well.

But France have Zizu, and to put it straight the man is on FIRE. He is absolutely wreaking havoc for defenders. Imagine your last game of your career is the WC final.

What I am not looking forward to are all the dives. Italy are the worst and France are a close second, especially Henry. What a hipocrite he looked to dive every time he got the ball today. He's got way too much skill to fall to the ground and lounge there looking for the foul and complaining.

*PREDICTION*

Italy 0 - France 0

This one goes to penalties, and I have italy advancing 4-3.

Italy historically are among the worst penalty takers, but I only have them the victors because I dont feel France are worthy to win despite how much I love Zidane. I feel France barely got this far and unjustly so, I am impressed with Riberry and Zizu of course but no one else.

*EDIT*

oops I totally forgot about the 3rd place game, LoL.

Well I feel Germany will give it their all because they have their fans to play for being on home turf and all.

And Portugal really have nothing to play for I feel.

*PREDICTION*

Germany 2 - Portugal 0

#2 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:09 AM

I'm going for France on this one. The few players they have who are actually making a difference will edge then ahead just enough to win. Although, it's going to be really close.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#3 Guest_Lily_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:41 AM

On est en finale on est en finale on est on est on est en finale !! Posted Image

Uh , sorry , I was like a mad girl in front of my tv yesterday night 'mais restez pas devant nos buts ! Reprenez leurs le ballon ! Allez Ribéry couuuurs !!' hi hi hi

C.Ronaldo is a great football player (and cute) but he's too an actor , that makes him less classy , which is sad .

It was difficult aye , but us , during this world cup we never ended up in penalties or extra time . Barthez is a very good goal . I found Thuram also great , Willy Sagnol was very good , Ribery was excellent like always

The Itlalian haven't THE man : Zinédine Zidane , he'll be yeah on fire Sunday , his last match , as for Lilian . They've got nothing to lose but all to win !! Zizou , if he plays like versus Bresilia , who will stop him ?

Anomander said:

Vive la France!! :)

I'm thoroughly excited now for the final, France deserves it over Portugal after that performance. The Portugese dominated when it came to possessing the ball, but they couldn't do anything with it. And their players' lame theatrics (Miguel leaving? What the hell was that? And Pauletta falling of his own accord, pffft!).

STOKED for Sunday!!

Oui , vive NOUS !! Posted Image

It'll be tough this Italy/France , but who knows ?

And one last thing : God bless Zinédine Zidane !! Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Mulch 

• Fist

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:44 AM

Italy to win 2 or 3 goals to nil, France are a poor, ageing side.

Germany will hammer the Portugese for third place.
"Here's to beer!, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" Homer Simpson

#5 User is offline   Asandir 

• Hermit
  • Interests:Anime
    Manga
    Computer games and of course books.
  • Poof...I dissappeared again

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:04 AM

France will not win. No chance. Why you ask, one word...Cannavaro!!!
Italy win 2 - 0
Piece o candy, piece o candy, piece o candy aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................................

#6 Guest_BAD_*

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

Don't care who wins, I won't be watching, like with the last semi. They both are teh suk. :)

Though I hope Germany annihilate Portugal. Klose, Podolski and Ballack scoring hopefully. :cool:

#7 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

#8 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

Forza Azzurri

I can't stand Zidane and have really enjoyed watching Cannavaro this tournament.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#9 Guest_BAD_*

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

Mezla PigDog said:

Forza Azzurri

I can't stand Zidane and have really enjoyed watching Cannavaro this tournament.

Die.

#10 User is offline   Lord of Salvation 

• Fist

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:20 AM

Lily said:

C.Ronaldo is a great football player (and cute) but he's too an actor , that makes him less classy , which is sad .

I guess you havent watched Thierry Henry at all this WC. Every time he gets the ball he looks to dive. Quite sad considering he is a world class player and all. Shouldnt stoop to such low levels.

I really cant see Zizu making a difference on his own. Sure him Ribery and Henry are playing very well, but Italy just doesnt concede goals.

The only knock on Italy is that their Offence has some trouble scoring.

And come on Barthez as a great keeper, you make me laugh. Did you see him muck up that Ronaldo free kick. He just threw it in the air and almost cost them their lead if it wasnt for the old timer Figo ruining a blessed chance.

They should put Coupet in instead. But anyway EURO 06 half their team will be gone. Maka, Zizu, Thuram, Sagnol, maybe Gallas, Barthez.

#11 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:59 AM

*continues to wave German flag even though they go owned*
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#12 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:52 AM

*quietly folds American flag and hopes the rest of the world didn't notice the debacle that was the U.S. World Cup experience*

Hopefully next time we can win one, at least.....

#13 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

From what i hear more people in the US watched this one than the last 2 combined so it seems like soccer is gaining popularity.

And how can you possibly not like zidane?

#14 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

Bah, who cares now? Italy or France, talk about a Devils' alternative. :p

And thank you to the scheduling tossers who had a whole weekend to put 2 games on, yet they put the bloody final on when people on this side of the world are about to get up and go to work. Good one, you $&^^&$#&#&. :D

Go Germany in the third place playoff. Blitzkrieg those diving Portugese! And kick them when they're down ... :D

@Fool
You being the stats boy, were there less goals scored overall in this WC compared to last 2, or is it just my poor perceptions?

Cheers,

La Sombra, also saw his team lose in the State of Origin (Australian Rugby League), and will watch the Wallabies (probably) lose against the All Blacks (Rugby Union) tonight. It's been a crappy fortnight for my teams. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#15 User is offline   Lord of Salvation 

• Fist

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

No there have been a shortage of goals this WC pretty severely so actually. But thats what happens when the run of play is stopped so frequently due to cards being issued.

The 3rd place game it seems neither team will give it their all. But Ollie Kahn should see the pitch and get a fareway tribute for the Home fans.

I will watch both none the less.

As for the "American Experience" it definitely asserts that the FIFA rankings will be discarded. But now the players cant act like premadonnas, they actually have to put in work. None of the players have enough skill or class to take over a game themselves.

#16 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:31 AM

I see Italy handling France relatively easily. Playing the Czech Republic and Germany, and not conceding a single goal from either of them makes me figure that France won't score, either.

#17 User is offline   Lord of Salvation 

• Fist

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:35 AM

But the question is can they score?

I dont believe Italy will conced a goal during the run of pay, as a matter of fact I believe only a penalty is how to break that back line.

But France are solid at the back as well, and Italy are not notorious for scoring this WC.

#18 User is offline   Malarion 

• Malarion
  • Interests:Reading...writing...drinking

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:37 AM

If I remember right, the Italians have scored 11 goals so far (12 if you count the own-goal), which ain't that bad. They've scored in every game. So to say they're struggling up front is wrong. They have also been the only team to score against themselves, so they ain't leaking any goals either.

France, however, have scored only 8 goals, and lost 2. So on that, Italy are clear favourites. And, to my opinion, they've dealt with a team that looked better than France already (germany).

So what that France beat Brazil. A more over-rated team I've never seen. Kaka is poor more than not for Milan. Adriano was poor for Inter. Ronaldo is now hated by Real fans. Carlos is past it. Ronaldinho is skilled beyond belief, but effective? And Spain were over-hyped and bottlers as usual.

I reckon Itlay should win this, though I think it'll be low scoring.
Grumpy is only my middle name.

#19 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

Sombra said:

@Fool
You being the stats boy, were there less goals scored overall in this WC compared to last 2, or is it just my poor perceptions?

Well... let's see. :D

1998 Group: 126
2002 Group: 130
2006 Group: 120

1998 Knockout: 42
2002 Knockout: 29
2006 Knockout: 28

So yeah, less... but not a lot less. I blame the crazy heat/humidity and the fact that everyone is so afraid of losing that they play it REALLY safe.

And i didn't find italy all that impressive. Who did they really play well against (considering who their oppoenents were)? They played badly against the US. They got lucky against the australia and the czechs (who had all their forwards injured and got a stupid red card). Ukraine and Ghana arent exactly the most formidable oppoenents. That leaves 30 minutes of overtime against the germans.

France had to go through spain, brazil and portugal and they seems to play better every game.

Odds are pretty even, i'd say.

#20 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:46 PM

The ****, zidane!?

THE ****!?!

Fool said:

And how can you possibly not like zidane?

Nevermind.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users