• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28641 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

For me, the one I remember is the one I mentioned in the current last post in the book club thread.

#28642 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:40 PM

Yeah.

Spoiler

Anyway I've now started Last Exit by Max Gladstone. Bit different from his usual fare, so far: both the Craft series and Empress of Tomorrow have a colourful, poppy vibe even without actually having, you know, a visual, this is a dark-and-gritty backroad America, a sort of Lovecraftian monster-hunters-on-the-road fantasy. Gladstone's one of the best genre writers around right now though, so it should be interesting.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 08 January 2023 - 10:49 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28643 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 09 January 2023 - 01:15 AM

I will be interested in hearing your take on the Last Exit. I enjoyed the Craft cycle.

#28644 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 January 2023 - 05:11 AM

Finished Xenos, the first Eisenhorn novel by Dan Abnett.

This is definitely the best Abnett book I've read. It's fast paced, flavour full, draws in a lot of elements you don't see or hear much about in the Gaunt books.

Glad I bought the omnibus that also includes various short stories.

#28645 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 January 2023 - 05:49 AM

View PostAbyss, on 17 December 2022 - 07:08 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2022 - 04:48 PM, said:

...Next up, i'm spoiled for choice but started Tchaikovsky's CHILDREN OF MEMORY ... after the spiders and the octopi i am VERY curious what he does next.

Four chapters in, have met the new thingies and OMG I LOOOOOVE THIS.

Need to get caught up....

CHILDREN OF MEMORY was very VERY different from the prior two books in the series. Tchaikovsky makes it work, and nicely so... i was not sure i would appreciate the frequent shift in focus from the beasties to the humans, but in classic Tchaikovsky form nothing is what it seems and no one is just human and he pulls it off nicely. Even when the book slides into tropey territory, the complexity of the characters raises the story. The new beasties are utterly great and steal every scene they appear in.
The book is a solid third step in the MEMORY OF series and if you enjoyed the first two do not hesitate to commit your dollars and brainzez to it.

Next was DEAD ASHORE, book 7 in Melchiorri's THE TIDE special ops/scientists v stabby rage zombie series. It's more of the what made books 1-6 work, nothing wildly novel this time, but consistent fun as soldiers run around shooting nasty thigs and scientists scramble to solve the virus' latest mutation, plus terrorists!

And then... 'charming' is not a word i use often to describe a fantasy novel, but having Just Finished Travis Baldree's LEGENDS AND LATTES i find it's the bestest word i can use. An orc warrior retires from adventuring to open a coffee shop in a major city. She meets new friends, builds up the shop, encounters opposition, tries to find ways to deal with it without resorting to large sharp objects and head crushing. It is low stakes, minimal jeopardy, the fantasy elements are far from important to the story... and it's all just so damn cute i couldn't put it down. Worth a look if you need a light read. The earbook maintains the tone nicely.

Next up is Brandon Sanderson's first 'secret novel', TRESS OF THE EMERALD SEA, A NOVEL OF THE COSMERE. Am about a third of the way in and the word 'charming' appears to fit yet again.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28646 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 January 2023 - 10:02 AM

So I got the final book in the Scholomance, THE GOLDEN ENCLAVES, for Christmas, and I have now finished reading it.

Utterly sublime. That series is now firmly ensconced in my all time favourites! I saw that some here have said it didn't feel quite as good as the first two and I get it...

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28647 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:49 AM

I'll add that to my wishlist. I assumed those were parodies, since Scholomance sounds like a word Mel Brooks would coin, but I guess it's a real term.

I just finished Immortal Hulk -- that was tight. I don't really follow ongoing comics but this was a good series to just dip in then out again.

Now I'm starting Senlin Ascends. This is like Infinity Train but vertical instead of horizontal?

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28648 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 January 2023 - 10:03 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 January 2023 - 05:49 AM, said:

And then... 'charming' is not a word i use often to describe a fantasy novel, but having Just Finished Travis Baldree's LEGENDS AND LATTES i find it's the bestest word i can use. An orc warrior retires from adventuring to open a coffee shop in a major city. She meets new friends, builds up the shop, encounters opposition, tries to find ways to deal with it without resorting to large sharp objects and head crushing. It is low stakes, minimal jeopardy, the fantasy elements are far from important to the story... and it's all just so damn cute i couldn't put it down. Worth a look if you need a light read. The earbook maintains the tone nicely.

Agreed, thanks for the reco.

After finally finishing the last 800 pages of Rhythm of War over the last couple of weeks I felt like another light read and that did nicely. :)

I've read that it's described as "cozy fantasy".
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28649 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:48 PM

View Postworry, on 10 January 2023 - 08:49 AM, said:

I'll add that to my wishlist. I assumed those were parodies, since Scholomance sounds like a word Mel Brooks would coin, but I guess it's a real term.

I just finished Immortal Hulk -- that was tight. I don't really follow ongoing comics but this was a good series to just dip in then out again.

Now I'm starting Senlin Ascends. This is like Infinity Train but vertical instead of horizontal?

Hold on no one said Senlin was like Demon Slayer before this. Tell me more.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28650 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 January 2023 - 01:22 PM

Maark would definitely hate "Legends and Lattes".
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28651 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:36 PM

View Postworry, on 10 January 2023 - 08:49 AM, said:

I don't understand why it's Anglicized as 'Scholomance' rather than 'Sholomance', which doesn't look silly and seems to match the Romanian pronunciation: 'The Scholomance[a] (Romanian: Șolomanță [ʃoloˈmant͡sə], Solomonărie [solomonəˈri.e]) was a fabled school of black magic in Romania, especially in the region of Transylvania. It was run by the Devil, according to folkloric accounts. The school enrolled about ten students to become the Solomonari. Courses taught included the speech of animals and magic spells. One of the graduates was chosen by the Devil to be the Weathermaker and tasked with riding a dragon to control the weather.

The school lay underground, and the students remained unexposed to sunlight for the seven-year duration of their study. The dragon (zmeu or balaur) was kept submerged in a mountaintop lake [...] according to some accounts'

Scholomance - Wikipedia

Romanian ʃ is pronounced like the 'sh' in 'ship':

Help:IPA/Romanian - Wikipedia

I'm on book three of The Dandelion Dynasty---The Veiled Throne. More mythology in this, and I'm liking it a lot; the retelling of the mythology is substantially more novelistic and compelling than much of The Grace of Kings iirc. The poetic qualities of the prose have improved.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 January 2023 - 06:37 PM

#28652 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 10 January 2023 - 07:10 PM

I've got about an hour left in The Hobbit. Andy Serkis' narration is just sublime here. This might actually be the best single narrator audiobook that I've listened to. The only other that comes close imo are The Sandman audiodramas but those are a whole different ballgame due to being full cast.

#28653 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:15 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 January 2023 - 10:03 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 January 2023 - 05:49 AM, said:

Agreed, thanks for the reco.

After finally finishing the last 800 pages of Rhythm of War over the last couple of weeks I felt like another light read and that did nicely. :)

I've read that it's described as "cozy fantasy".

That's a good term for it.
There is precisely zero moment in the book, even when they are in physical danger, where you actually fear something awful happening to the characters. The physical conflicts are practically a sideline to the borderline 'ordinary' character development and interpersonal plots.
This is so utterly not the kind of fantasy or even fiction i read, even so i was invested in the outcome.

View PostTsundoku, on 10 January 2023 - 01:22 PM, said:

Maybe it would bring out his inner romantic barrista-warrior.

#28654 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:21 PM

Maark Abbott said:

worry said:

Not quite in either instance, but not entirely off.
SENLIN is hard to explain beyond 'boring ordinary dude must adapt to survive in massive steampunk city tower where each level is a different city'.
I barely liked bk 1 - it's told as a series of short stories, a format i dislike, and i found the lead irritating - but then continued out of interest in the setting and enjoyed the hell out of 2-4.

#28655 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2023 - 09:12 PM

That’s cool, I love when stuff is annoying.

#28656 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 January 2023 - 10:12 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 09 January 2023 - 01:15 AM, said:

I will be interested in hearing your take on the Last Exit. I enjoyed the Craft cycle.

Well, it is good. Nothing like the Craft cycle at all, although it does spin away from the urban-fantasy underpinnings into something a bit different. Both a more epic and more personal story than it seems at first glance.

My only real criticism is that I'm a big believer in epic quest stories having some wind-down after the end, and this one gives you about two pages. But even there, it might have been hard to have a real wind-down without just making a whole other book out of it, so...

Gonna jump into The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip next, I think.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28657 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:57 AM

View PostAbyss, on 10 January 2023 - 08:21 PM, said:

Maark Abbott said:

worry said:

Not quite in either instance, but not entirely off.
SENLIN is hard to explain beyond 'boring ordinary dude must adapt to survive in massive steampunk city tower where each level is a different city'.
I barely liked bk 1 - it's told as a series of short stories, a format i dislike, and i found the lead irritating - but then continued out of interest in the setting and enjoyed the hell out of 2-4.

View Postworry, on 10 January 2023 - 09:12 PM, said:

That's cool, I love when stuff is annoying.

Can i interest you in the first four Sword of Truth mmpbs, barely read, slightly dented?

#28658 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:02 AM

Haha, even I have standards.

#28659 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:46 AM

Incorrect. I'm reading it at present and it's basically any comfortable Japanese slice-of-life fantasy light novel but tweaked for Western audiences. Plus the MC is relatable.

Anyway my Senlin comment was a flippant play on Infinity Train given that Mugen Train was the name of the Demon Slayer film. Didn't expect there to be substance to my joke...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28660 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:22 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 January 2023 - 08:46 AM, said:

Incorrect. I'm reading it at present and it's basically any comfortable Japanese slice-of-life fantasy light novel but tweaked for Western audiences. Plus the MC is relatable.

Have I been transported to some sort of parallel universe? :ermm:

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users