• Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:01 AM

Heresy!

#28682 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:16 AM

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2023 - 02:37 AM, said:

Next up... not sure... the eTRP is fantasy-heavy but i may be feeling something spacey, with fleets of pretentiously named ships blasting the fnckstars out of each other...

Sounds like you want Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit tbh.

Anyway I was hoping reading The Big Sleep would give me some hope that casting Liam Neeson as Marlowe in the upcoming not-quite-adaptation was a better fit for the book character than it seemed at first glance on comparison to Bogart, but no. I don't get it.
Reading further, it's an adaptation of a 2014 book, obviously not written by Chandler. ffs guys.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 17 January 2023 - 06:17 AM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28683 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 January 2023 - 01:22 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 January 2023 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2023 - 08:31 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 16 January 2023 - 08:04 PM, said:

Started a new book
The King's Justice by Richard Swan

Good luck. I made it 100 pages before dropping it.

oh boo, I picked it up flipping through the kobo store, keep a book on my phone to read on travel days etc. What was the turn off?

The plot was basically a detective story with no bells and whistles to impress me in a fantasy novel. Like it was fine. Well written. But nothing compelled me to read on after the sampling I read.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28684 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 January 2023 - 04:11 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 17 January 2023 - 06:16 AM, said:

Next up... not sure... the eTRP is fantasy-heavy but i may be feeling something spacey, with fleets of pretentiously named ships blasting the fnckstars out of each other...

There can be no bad reasons to start Ninefox Gambit, it is awesome :)

Otherwise the first Spiral Wars book Renegade should have enough of awesome spaceships blasting the holy shit out of each other.

This post has been edited by Chance: 17 January 2023 - 04:13 PM

#28685 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 January 2023 - 05:09 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 January 2023 - 06:01 AM, said:

Heresy!

As it was, I was sort of bouncing off the Stross. I've only read Accelerando (a favorite) and Halting State from him previously. They were both as dense, but somehow easier to get into.

#28686 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:27 PM

View PostChance, on 17 January 2023 - 04:11 PM, said:

There can be no bad reasons to start Ninefox Gambit, it is awesome :)

Otherwise the first Spiral Wars book Renegade should have enough of awesome spaceships blasting the holy shit out of each other.

Both noted tnx muchly, but then i noticed i had Ketty Jay 4 , ACE OF SKULLS in my library, so that was an easy pick. I have been waiting way WAY too long to get to the end of the Ketty Jay story and the earbook took forever+ to be made.

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 17 January 2023 - 05:09 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 17 January 2023 - 06:01 AM, said:

Heresy!

As it was, I was sort of bouncing off the Stross. I've only read Accelerando (a favorite) and Halting State from him previously. They were both as dense, but somehow easier to get into.

S'funny w Stross, it seems people who adore Accelerando and his other harder sf stuff tend to be less pulled in by the Laundry, and vice versa. I love the Laundry books, borderline dnf'd Accel and barely started Halting before moving on.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28687 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 January 2023 - 07:18 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 16 January 2023 - 08:44 PM, said:

I read Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian recently; which is a truly amazing book. The characters range from monstrous to very monstrous - one of whom states that he's literally the devil and may not be lying about that. The things they get up to are absolutely appalling - made even worse by the fact that the whole thing is based fairly closely on testimony of actual events ( the author even personally retraced the party's steps to allow him more accurately describe their surroundings). It's not a book that can be enjoyed in the conventional meaning of the word, however the writing is stunning.

This is exactly what that book is - a reveal of the brutality of imperialism by independent and quasi state actors, the destruction of native cultures and people, and a scintillating display of language.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28688 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 January 2023 - 01:07 AM

View Postamphibian, on 17 January 2023 - 07:18 PM, said:

View Poststone monkey, on 16 January 2023 - 08:44 PM, said:

I read Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian recently; which is a truly amazing book. The characters range from monstrous to very monstrous - one of whom states that he's literally the devil and may not be lying about that. The things they get up to are absolutely appalling - made even worse by the fact that the whole thing is based fairly closely on testimony of actual events ( the author even personally retraced the party's steps to allow him more accurately describe their surroundings). It's not a book that can be enjoyed in the conventional meaning of the word, however the writing is stunning.

This is exactly what that book is - a reveal of the brutality of imperialism by independent and quasi state actors, the destruction of native cultures and people, and a scintillating display of language.

k but does it have dragons and lasers?

#28689 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2023 - 01:20 PM

Abyss, Feb 7th, the DEATHGATE CYCLE is getting audiobook versions finally, in case you're interested.

For myself, I decided to finally read book 2.....but I forget far too much of Book 1, so I'm re-reading DRAGON WING...Hugh the Hand is Adam Driver. I will not be taking questions.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28690 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:42 AM

I read The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller on the way to and from London this week. It's a re-telling of the Iliad.

I really enjoyed it overall. A touch soapy in places, and the odd character is one-dimensional in the extreme (side-eyeing you, Agamemnon) but overall it really captured the otherness of Greek mythology and also the recurring theme that hubris is the downfall of everyone, to the point that you wonder how none of them ever start to spot that.

It also did a good job of leaning in to the point Stephen Fry makes so well in his Greek mythology series - Greek heroes did not get to be famous by being nice people. As much as he's often a sympathetic main character, it didn't shy away from the fact Achilles was a raging dickhead at times as well. Odysseus is by turns compassionate and clever, but also as slimy and manipulative as they come when it suits him too.

It was refreshing to see a modern re-telling though, and I mean modern in the sense of the acceptance that no, pearl-clutchers, Achilles and Patroclus did not have their ashes buried together because they were "just friends".

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 20 January 2023 - 10:45 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#28691 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 January 2023 - 01:20 PM, said:

Abyss, Feb 7th, the DEATHGATE CYCLE is getting audiobook versions finally, in case you're interested.

For myself, I decided to finally read book 2.....but I forget far too much of Book 1, so I'm re-reading DRAGON WING...Hugh the Hand is Adam Driver. I will not be taking questions.

Tempting but I suspect a relisten would chip away my nostalgic love for the series. Weis n Hickman have a 'slow build to big finale' pattern that works for me when the worldbuilding is engaging. Having read it twice, I fear it would be less so. Not swearing I wont change my mind tho'.

#28692 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 January 2023 - 07:45 PM

Read a couple of books.

To be taught if fortunate by Becky Chambers. After reading Psalm of the Wild-Built, I went into my library and found out I owed a few more of Chamber's books.

To be taught if fortunate is again a nice low stakes sci-fi book, that's more about the people than a wild adventure. I liked it for what it is but would have enjoyed something crazy happening towards the end.

Read the second Eisenhorn book by Dan Abnett, called Malleus. Even better than the first book, I like the continuing exploration of the WH40K universe. It has some really crazy action sequence and great character work. However it's also a book that does far too much telling, not showing.

Looking back at the story's events, the plot doesn't make a lot of sense. A lead in a centuries old cold case randomly becomes critical, an accusation is levelled, there's an escape, and a search for a McGuffin, that reveals some knowledge that should be obvious, then a lot of planning and research happens off page and they go fight the big bad.

This was a terrible way of telling a story. Still cool action though.

Started up TJ Klune's Under the Whispering Door. Like The House in the Cerulean Sea before this one, this book is a charming tale worthy of a Disney or Pixar story. It's about a Scrooge like lawyer who dies and has to come to terms with death and the life choices he made.

I'm liking the book overall but I've got to say the two "good guy" protagonists who are helping Wallace, our Scrooge like protagonist... They're actually acting like a bunch of dicks and I can't help siding with the asshole. It's annoying that the characters act deliberately obtuse and avoid giving straight answers.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 23 January 2023 - 07:54 PM

#28693 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2023 - 08:01 PM

Started Nicholas Eames second "The Band" book BLOODY ROSE....fuck me, why didn't I start this sooner?! I'm only 20 pages in and it's already kicking my ass with goodness!

#28694 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 January 2023 - 03:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2023 - 08:01 PM, said:

Started Nicholas Eames second "The Band" book BLOODY ROSE....fuck me, why didn't I start this sooner?! I'm only 20 pages in and it's already kicking my ass with goodness!

it's very VERY good.

#28695 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 January 2023 - 03:21 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2023 - 08:01 PM, said:

it's very VERY good.

I know he's hard at work on OUTLAW EMPIRE, so I figured it was time to read the second book.

#28696 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:35 PM

Read the third Thursday Murder Club book by Osman, The Bullet that Missed.
If you like the first two you'll like this. Would they sell as well if it wasn't him? No.
Has he created a wonderful little set of characters that you start to care about? Absolutely

#28697 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:37 PM

I've been listening to Touch by Claire North. I'm about 25% in now.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by JPK: 24 January 2023 - 07:37 PM

#28698 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:42 PM

View PostJPK, on 24 January 2023 - 07:37 PM, said:

I've been listening to Touch by Claire North. I'm about 25% in now.

Spoiler

Interesting. That's my favourite of her books, I don't remember feeling that way. I hope you enjoy it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28699 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 January 2023 - 08:13 PM

I get that, character was unlikeable for me at the start as well

#28700 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 January 2023 - 02:50 PM

Considered but Wooding's KETTY JAY 4: ACE OF SKULLS won out and it's so so great to read these characters again.
Even the cat.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users