• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28621 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 December 2022 - 04:36 PM

Lyons' Memory of Souls. I REALLY like this series. It's super fresh and creative.

#28622 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 December 2022 - 09:29 PM

Just as I was starting to sour on the main plot, The Wall of Storms had a major shift....
Spoiler

I'm finding it very entertaining, and it presents some memorable images. Plot is a major strong point. Characterization can be a bit annoying at times---characters being excessively stubborn or acting in irrational and out of character seeming ways that conveniently advance the plot, and some of the characters are arguably too close to standard tropes---but tends to be enjoyable overall.

#28623 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 January 2023 - 07:49 PM

Read A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers.

That was a wonderful short little story about a monk and a robot. Will definitely be buying the next one when it's on sale. Nice to read a sci-fi/fantasy book that's not about danger and strife but instead just a touching personal journey.

Started up the first Warhammer 40K Eisenhorn novel by Dan Annette called Xenos. So far I'm pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't a big fan of the Gaunt books or the first Horus Heresy books. Xenos thankfully seems like a much more competent and fast paced techno thriller.

#28624 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 January 2023 - 08:51 PM

While waiting for the next Lyons book to arrive, I've started Stross' The Atrocity Archives.

#28625 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 January 2023 - 08:59 PM

Oh boy, is this the first time reading the Laundry Files?

#28626 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 January 2023 - 10:19 PM

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2023 - 08:59 PM, said:

Yep! I found a collected edition (On Her Majesty's Occult Service) at an estate sale a few months ago.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 01 January 2023 - 10:20 PM

#28627 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 01 January 2023 - 11:05 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 01 January 2023 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2023 - 08:59 PM, said:

Yep! I found a collected edition (On Her Majesty's Occult Service) at an estate sale a few months ago.

Oh how I envy you right now.

#28628 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:36 AM

Finished up War for the Rose Throne series by Peter McLean over the new year. Think it was just needed to finish the year with a very uncompromising fantasy. Perfect for people who want a mix of Joe Abercrombie and Daniel Polansky. One of those books where the once "good guy" ends up winning, but only by making compromises and sacrificing pretty much everything that made them better than their vanquished foes. Sometimes the gradual decline of the "good" protagonist makes you stop caring like me with the later game of throne books but I think this one pulls it off to the end when you've been seeing the cliff approaching for a good while you still hope that some kind of ray of sunlight will appear close to the end.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Chance: 02 January 2023 - 11:48 AM

#28629 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 03 January 2023 - 05:41 PM

You know what the New Year needs? More pirates! I started On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers and it's pretty good so far even if the narrator is very slightly stiff.

#28630 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 January 2023 - 06:31 PM

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2023 - 07:49 PM, said:

That was a wonderful short little story about a monk and a robot. Will definitely be buying the next one when it's on sale. Nice to read a sci-fi/fantasy book that's not about danger and strife but instead just a touching personal journey.

All her work is like this. They call it "Cozy Fiction". Very slice of life. This one also benefits from being one of the first intentionally written Solarpunk (Cli-Fi) books that tries to oppose cyberpunk and I for one love that they exist to palate cleanse more grim cyberpunk stuff.

Also, the mood swing from PSALM to WH40K Inquisition EISENHORN must be insane...LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28631 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 January 2023 - 07:05 PM

I took a look at Chamber's bibliography on Amazon and it definitely does seem like a cozy book list. Not surprised to find out I actually own several more books by her, that I must have bought at random during some sale.

Eisenhorn is not that grim. Well 12.000 people die in the opening chapter... But that's not that bad considering.

#28632 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 January 2023 - 07:41 PM

View PostAptorian, on 03 January 2023 - 07:05 PM, said:

Eisenhorn is not that grim.

I....well, keep reading. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28633 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:58 AM

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2023 - 07:49 PM, said:

Ooo, thank you. I loved her Wayfarers series but haven't tried the short story. On the list it goes!

Still reading Robin Ince's The Importance of Being Interested. It's great but being ill over Christmas (still not really fully shaken it) slowed me down as I couldn't concentrate much.

I had a brief break to read Richard Herring's The Problem With Men which was a Christmas gift. Light, snappy and very funny. International Men's Day is in fact on November 19th - who knew? ;)

Another Christmas gift was Kate Mosse's Warrior Queens and Quiet Revolutionaries, a bit of a whistle stop tour through one hundred women history has largely forgotten about - that's queued up next.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 04 January 2023 - 10:01 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28634 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:32 AM

View PostChance, on 02 January 2023 - 11:36 AM, said:

Finished up War for the Rose Throne series by Peter McLean over the new year. Think it was just needed to finish the year with a very uncompromising fantasy. Perfect for people who want a mix of Joe Abercrombie and Daniel Polansky. One of those books where the once "good guy" ends up winning, but only by making compromises and sacrificing pretty much everything that made them better than their vanquished foes. Sometimes the gradual decline of the "good" protagonist makes you stop caring like me with the later game of throne books but I think this one pulls it off to the end when you've been seeing the cliff approaching for a good while you still hope that some kind of ray of sunlight will appear close to the end.
Spoiler

Mid Point of book 3 at the moment.

Was fairly sure it was heading towards where you say (haven't read spoiler, just in general)
solid stuff, and you've nailed the Abercrombie/Polanski shout

#28635 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:29 PM

Currently going through the end of The Blacktongue Thief and it's been steadily growing on me from annoyance at the language to strange facination, still I'm not entirely sold but it certainly is something different. All these randomly appearing things encounters along a quest journey however make it feel old school.

View PostMacros, on 04 January 2023 - 11:32 AM, said:

Mid Point of book 3 at the moment.

Was fairly sure it was heading towards where you say (haven't read spoiler, just in general)
solid stuff, and you've nailed the Abercrombie/Polanski shout

Will be interested in what you think about it once your done. Thought it was a very interesting series and one of my favorit recent reads.

#28636 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:13 PM

View PostChance, on 04 January 2023 - 02:29 PM, said:

Currently going through the end of The Blacktongue Thief and it's been steadily growing on me from annoyance at the language to strange facination, still I'm not entirely sold but it certainly is something different. All these randomly appearing things encounters along a quest journey however make it feel old school.

In the audiobook a lot of the pronunciations sound like reconstructed Elizabethan English, though the overall accent definitely sounds like they were trying to do some sort of Irish---not sure if they were going for a specific regional dialect or what. It's narrated by the author, who's from Florida, so I'd guess the pronunciation is intentionally archaic. (Personally I like it, since listening to and performing Elizabethan songs and poems in various reconstructions of so-called 'OP' ('Original Pronunciation') has been an interest of mine for years now---I especially like the Boston Camerata's 'What Then Is Love?', where 'love' is pronounced 'loo-ve'.)

#28637 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 January 2023 - 12:04 AM

Read Blacktongue Thief a while back, I enjoyed it but it does suffer a little from 'a string of incidents' syndrome. Always a risk in a quest novel, but a bit compounded by the author not really building on any characters apart from the main (and I swear he forgot a couple of them were even there for a good quarter of the story. Hell, I did). Loads of cool ideas, though.

Most recently I read A Storm of Echoes, the final part in Christel Dabos' Mirror Visitor quadrilogy. I absolutely loved the first one of these and the second two were nearly as good. While I still enjoyed this one, it does unfortunately fall into a not-entirely-dissimilar trap: although it's not a quest, Ophelia is shunted from situation to ever-crazier situation so quickly it starts to tumble by. It's an odd choice because the first three function very much on her being put in a single particular situation and the book really exploring it: there's at least one set-up here that could comfortably have carried a whole book in that way and several more that could potentially, or at least a couple hundred pages, and a storm of revelations or massive plot turns that just didn't get time to breathe as the next one came along.

My overall feeling of the series is a bit similar to the Senlin books by Josiah Bancroft. First book putting a socially-awkward protagonist in something of a theatrical parody of high society, second book shifting on to some high adventure, third one starting to reveal some of the true weirdness behind it all, and the final one really leaning into the weirdness (and having quite a surprising ending) but also just... having too much action for where the series started from, for me.

Still, it's recommended overall, really good series. My qualms are mostly qualms in comparison to just how much I adored the first book, which was a lot.

Now I've leapt into Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao, which appears to be a cross between anti-patriarchy revenge fantasy, Chinese myth and history, and Pacific Rim. Only just started but it's both fun and absolutely furious so far.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28638 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 06 January 2023 - 04:09 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 January 2023 - 12:04 AM, said:

Read Blacktongue Thief a while back, I enjoyed it but it does suffer a little from 'a string of incidents' syndrome. Always a risk in a quest novel, but a bit compounded by the author not really building on any characters apart from the main (and I swear he forgot a couple of them were even there for a good quarter of the story. Hell, I did). Loads of cool ideas, though.

I noticed the exact same thing about missing characters when I read the book. There were a couple times where it was like "oh, you're still with them?"

#28639 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 January 2023 - 05:40 PM

Now I've leapt into Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao, which appears to be a cross between anti-patriarchy revenge fantasy, Chinese myth and history, and Pacific Rim. Only just started but it's both fun and absolutely furious so far.

Absolutely tore through this. It's a ride. It's a ton of fun about giant magic mecha-type things kicking magic alien arse, but also it is a furious book with things to say, so it's an odd balance. I suppose part of that is just that (even though I've read a few in recent years) I'm still a bit unused to cathartic wish-fullfilment that isn't just by and about women but directly about women's experience (as opposed to the rage of authors like Matt Stover or Richard Morgan, which never felt that odd to me despite riding the balance just as much).

In any case, I'm not saying that as a negative. It's a cracking read.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28640 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 January 2023 - 03:11 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 06 January 2023 - 04:09 AM, said:

I noticed the exact same thing about missing characters when I read the book. There were a couple times where it was like "oh, you're still with them?"

Did not notice this, am curious.
In spoiler blocks can you say who?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic