Reading at t'moment?

#28481 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 October 2022 - 06:30 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 October 2022 - 08:13 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 October 2022 - 06:37 PM, said:

... Sandman Act III has changed that plan! Especially now I've read what others have said!

And I'm already HOOKED I forgot how good Kat Dennings is as Death. Whoever is playing Destruction is likewise exactly how I imagined him speaking.

I don't imagine it'll take me long to get through this as I think I'll be playing it whenever I can!

It's brilliant. The adaptation to earbook/audiodrama format is so well done it's astounding. Enjoy!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28482 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 October 2022 - 06:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 October 2022 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 October 2022 - 08:13 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 October 2022 - 06:37 PM, said:

... Sandman Act III has changed that plan! Especially now I've read what others have said!

And I'm already HOOKED I forgot how good Kat Dennings is as Death. Whoever is playing Destruction is likewise exactly how I imagined him speaking.

I don't imagine it'll take me long to get through this as I think I'll be playing it whenever I can!

It's brilliant. The adaptation to earbook/audiodrama format is so well done it's astounding. Enjoy!

Oh I know, the first two Acts on audiobook were game changing (and then the TV series shook it up again!)

I can't remember which stories will be in this one so it'll be fun discovering it all again. May read the corresponding graphic novels afterwards.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28483 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 October 2022 - 06:34 PM

View PostJPK, on 13 October 2022 - 06:10 PM, said:

I just finished up One Word Kill by that Lawrence dude. I can see some of the stuff in here and I'll give him props for writing a difficult pov. This one is pretty underwhelming to me though, and maybe it's because of the YA tone. If it weren't for the
Spoiler
I'd probably skip the other two books. Someone please tell me it gets less generic? Pretty please?

View PostMacros, on 13 October 2022 - 06:18 PM, said:

It's fun overall, don't expect broken empire level of maturity and scope.

Considering how short and (usually on ebook) cheap they are I'd say read them

Seconded. I wouldn't say that the BE bits make it worthwhile, but the entire story is well told, improves, doesn't drag, and hits a satisfying end. The YA tone from the first book fades - not entirely, but most of the way - and it has some clever twists.

#28484 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 14 October 2022 - 01:26 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 October 2022 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 13 October 2022 - 06:10 PM, said:

I just finished up One Word Kill by that Lawrence dude. I can see some of the stuff in here and I'll give him props for writing a difficult pov. This one is pretty underwhelming to me though, and maybe it's because of the YA tone. If it weren't for the
Spoiler
I'd probably skip the other two books. Someone please tell me it gets less generic? Pretty please?

View PostMacros, on 13 October 2022 - 06:18 PM, said:

It's fun overall, don't expect broken empire level of maturity and scope.

Considering how short and (usually on ebook) cheap they are I'd say read them

Seconded. I wouldn't say that the BE bits make it worthwhile, but the entire story is well told, improves, doesn't drag, and hits a satisfying end. The YA tone from the first book fades - not entirely, but most of the way - and it has some clever twists.

Fiiiiiiiiine, I'll continue on to them soon then. I'll probably get to book 2 next week. At least I can finish them up in a work shift.

Next up I'm jumping back into LAUNDRY territory with Quantum of Nightmares. It'd be nice if it was actual LAUNDRY but I've got an itch I need to scratch and The New Management is an acceptable substitute.

#28485 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 October 2022 - 02:04 PM, said:

... back to Lyons' CHORUS OF DRAGONS, bk 3 THE MEMORY OF SOULS. Not quite an hour in and while it's great to be back w these characters and pick up the story again, i'm somewhat echoing Azath's upthread view as this is my least favorite narrator in the series so far. His women's voices sound like a man trying to sound like a woman and my brain keeps jumping to LITTLE BRITAIN's 'i'm a lady!' skits.

Halfway'ish through... credit where due... for a middle book in a series of five, the author is revealing a TONNE and i'm very curious to see where she goes next.
Also very liking her version of ascension and godhood, there are elements that a Malazfan might find familiar but with an almost endearing subversion.

One narrator still has issues w his women's voices, and distinguishing male voices. In a book where a key narrative device is a narrator chiming into the story w occasional comments, it's annoying at times having to guess who is speaking. Not a huge problem, but it wasn't an issue w books 1 and 2. Other narrator is all good.

#28486 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:27 PM

View PostJPK, on 14 October 2022 - 01:26 AM, said:

Next up I'm jumping back into LAUNDRY territory with Quantum of Nightmares. It'd be nice if it was actual LAUNDRY but I've got an itch I need to scratch and The New Management is an acceptable substitute.

It's been funny to read Stross' social media re his writing lately. He's so very irritated w the UK gov that the New Management books are his way of coping and he can't quite get into the mindset necessary for The Laundry because reality is so much worse.

#28487 User is offline   Zuzu Bolin 

• Corporal

Posted 14 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

Just finished the Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin which I loved. I found it very original and thought provoking.

Will now start a Black Company re-read.

This post has been edited by Zuzu Bolin: 14 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

#28488 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 October 2022 - 11:37 PM

Kill Creek was a bust -- good premise, hit and miss plotting, functional but sometimes embarrassing prose, terrible climax.

Then I read My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones -- about a teenage slasher superfan who believes an irl slasher plot is developing in her small town -- and it was pretty rad. It's a little slow to get going, but let's just say it lives up to its awesome title.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28489 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 October 2022 - 07:47 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 October 2022 - 02:50 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 November 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

Finally got around to starting Kate Elliott's THE BURNING STONE (had to retake it out from the library because never got round to it the first time I took it out), and it's already really amazing. I'm surprised just how immersive these books are for me. Like I sink into every page and relish the story. Only 140 pages into it so far, but already a tonne of shit is happening.

Also, not enough Theophanu currently. One hopes that is rectified.

Been a while, and I had dropped off this series for some reason...back on now and restarted this one to get back into it (I got the whole rest of the series on the cheap at the used book store; all matching! :D ) and it's reminded me how I really enjoy this series.

Fuck Hugh though.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28490 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 October 2022 - 12:10 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 October 2022 - 07:47 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 October 2022 - 02:50 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 November 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

Finally got around to starting Kate Elliott's THE BURNING STONE (had to retake it out from the library because never got round to it the first time I took it out), and it's already really amazing. I'm surprised just how immersive these books are for me. Like I sink into every page and relish the story. Only 140 pages into it so far, but already a tonne of shit is happening.

Also, not enough Theophanu currently. One hopes that is rectified.

Been a while, and I had dropped off this series for some reason...back on now and restarted this one to get back into it (I got the whole rest of the series on the cheap at the used book store; all matching! :D ) and it's reminded me how I really enjoy this series.

Fuck Hugh though.

Absolutely fuck Hugh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28491 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 October 2022 - 02:27 PM

Is that the Crown of Stars series?

I really should finish that one day. I remember enough to know exactly who "Absolutely fuck Hugh" referred to, it seems!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28492 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 October 2022 - 02:39 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 October 2022 - 02:27 PM, said:

Is that the Crown of Stars series?

I really should finish that one day. I remember enough to know exactly who "Absolutely fuck Hugh" referred to, it seems!

Yep.

It's funny, there's other "evil/bad" characters in the series, but Hugh is on another level.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28493 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 October 2022 - 06:25 PM

View PostZuzu Bolin, on 14 October 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

Just finished the Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin which I loved. I found it very original and thought provoking.

Will now start a Black Company re-read.

Man you've made me want to read Broken Earth again that was a great series!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28494 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 October 2022 - 01:45 PM

View PostZuzu Bolin, on 14 October 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

Loved this series so so much. Utterly agree, original, thought provoking, well planned but unpredictable twists, very human yet exceptional characters.

Two weeks to go for her THE WORLD WE CREATE and i am so psyched.

#28495 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 October 2022 - 01:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 October 2022 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 October 2022 - 02:04 PM, said:

... back to Lyons' CHORUS OF DRAGONS, bk 3 THE MEMORY OF SOULS. Not quite an hour in and while it's great to be back w these characters and pick up the story again, i'm somewhat echoing Azath's upthread view as this is my least favorite narrator in the series so far. His women's voices sound like a man trying to sound like a woman and my brain keeps jumping to LITTLE BRITAIN's 'i'm a lady!' skits.

Halfway'ish through... credit where due... for a middle book in a series of five, the author is revealing a TONNE and i'm very curious to see where she goes next.
Also very liking her version of ascension and godhood, there are elements that a Malazfan might find familiar but with an almost endearing subversion.

One narrator still has issues w his women's voices, and distinguishing male voices. In a book where a key narrative device is a narrator chiming into the story w occasional comments, it's annoying at times having to guess who is speaking. Not a huge problem, but it wasn't an issue w books 1 and 2. Other narrator is all good.

Just finished. Hell of a finale. For a book that was not low in action scenes, the author amped things up nicely at the end and made the risk to the cast very very believable without being gratuitous. It's to her credit that in a series where multiple times, dead does not mean dead dead, it's also totally believable that if they die, they may stay that way.

Also, DRAGONS!

Now starting book 4 THE HOUSE OF ALWAYS, and considering the scope of the finale of 3, that is one wild opening. Not just dropping the reader into the middle of the action, but also in the aftermath of important events that have happened 'off screen'. Ambitious, and she pulls it off nicely.... no info dump, but what happens explains (most of) what happened even as the story moved forward.

#28496 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:39 PM

If this book exists, you're in the wrong universe, the 4th John Dies at the End book by David Wong, released yesterday.

Just read the intro. Yup, this is definitely a John Dies at the End book. Love the nonchalant stupidity of these monster hunters.

#28497 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:55 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 October 2022 - 07:39 PM, said:

If this book exists, you're in the wrong universe, the 4th John Dies at the End book by David Wong, released yesterday.

Just read the intro. Yup, this is definitely a John Dies at the End book. Love the nonchalant stupidity of these monster hunters.

Pre-ordered during the last massive audible sale. On deck for when i'm done w CHORUS OF DRAGONS, tho it may get bumped by Jemisin's next.

#28498 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 October 2022 - 11:14 AM

Finished the Sandman Act III and wow, they've absolutely smashed it out of the park once again. I'll admit the Brief Lives storyline is not my favourite and there was a bit where I was a bit bored for a very short time.

Then came the World's End. And oh boy that is one of my favourite storylines! Just everything about it was outstanding and every actor nailed it.

Overall, I was once again hugely impressed with Kirsten Schaal and Kat Dennings. I also really liked Billy Boyd as Petrefax and David Harewood's Destruction.

All in all just a sublime experience!

Back to LOTR with ROTK as read by Andy Serkis.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28499 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 October 2022 - 12:36 PM

Here's the full cast list for the Sandman Act III audiobook. Some amazing talent there:
https://www.audible....book/B0BFK1K36D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28500 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 October 2022 - 01:43 PM

Just takes me to the "based on your location you have been directed to Audible.com.au" free trial page.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 October 2022 - 01:44 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users