I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28502 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 October 2022 - 03:10 PM

Currently going through the Expeditionary Force books which are decidedly lightweight military SF, but it does have its high points in the very nicely imagined aliens. The prize being taken by the gambling crazy beetle jeraptha who make for insect aliens you want to meet. I wholeheartedly agree with the beetles ship naming and their covert operations organization the Ethics and Compliance Office, all of which make me imagine that Banks had a lasting impact in the world of SF writers which is great.

Perfect lightweight listening to at work, requiring little thought but high entertainment value.

This post has been edited by Chance: 21 October 2022 - 03:15 PM

#28503 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 October 2022 - 03:36 AM

View PostMentalist, on 08 October 2022 - 01:04 AM, said:

Hit a point in "Wall of Storms where I just want to put the book down.

The Emperor's wife, out of of her beliefs for what stability of the realm is, is fomenting a rebellion to fabricate a threat to elevate herself and her faction.

I can't see this ending in anything but disaster. Don't want to RAFO.

I hate when authors do this.

Gritted my teeth and powered through the dumb political intrigue garbage.

In Part II, the book gets quite good. Some ridiculous battle scenes.

Why did the beginning have to be such a slog?

EDIT: Okay, finished last night. It gets quite good, and sets up the next volume nicely. So I'm moving onto "Veiled Throne" now.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 27 October 2022 - 04:43 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#28504 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 October 2022 - 11:52 AM

Finished Ithaca by Claire North

Yes yes another take on Troy and its fall out, but it's Claire North, so naturally it's a little different, and a lot good.

Its dark in places, as it should be I guess given its perspective, and thoroughly eviscerates "heroes" and their legends through the lens of Hera and by extension I guess women of the time. Can I relate to this perspective, absolutely not and to say I could would be ridiculous, but can I say I think its very well done? Absolutely.

10 horrible child murdering bastard Kings and heroes out of 11 incestuous petty cruel gods and godessess

#28505 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 October 2022 - 11:54 AM

Dang that's one of the highest scores I've ever seen!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28506 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 October 2022 - 12:02 PM

Read the final book of the Firmame Trilogy recently (Feists latest trilogy, new world new setting....) not sure if I posted my thoughts but.....

Spoilers for the final book, not book killing, just a gripe I had with the writing, but also includes a fairly large spoiler
Spoiler

#28507 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 October 2022 - 12:08 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 October 2022 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yes yes another take on Troy and its fall out, but it's Claire North, so naturally it's a little different, and a lot good.

Its dark in places, as it should be I guess given its perspective, and thoroughly eviscerates "heroes" and their legends through the lens of Hera and by extension I guess women of the time. Can I relate to this perspective, absolutely not and to say I could would be ridiculous, but can I say I think its very well done? Absolutely.

10 horrible child murdering bastard Kings and heroes out of 11 incestuous petty cruel gods and godessess

I was sort of concerned about this as it's a departure from her normal style. Shouldn't have worried. I trust Claire North!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28508 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 October 2022 - 01:22 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 October 2022 - 12:02 PM, said:

Read the final book of the Firmame Trilogy recently (Feists latest trilogy, new world new setting....) not sure if I posted my thoughts but.....

Spoilers for the final book, not book killing, just a gripe I had with the writing, but also includes a fairly large spoiler
Spoiler

I haven't read it but I think Feist tapped out long ago.
The absolute shit show that was the end to the Pug series made me never want to read a book of his again.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#28509 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 October 2022 - 04:53 AM

Books one and two were solid enough if a little trope ridden

#28510 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:54 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 October 2022 - 02:39 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 October 2022 - 02:27 PM, said:

Is that the Crown of Stars series?

I really should finish that one day. I remember enough to know exactly who "Absolutely fuck Hugh" referred to, it seems!

Yep.

It's funny, there's other "evil/bad" characters in the series, but Hugh is on another level.

I actually tweeted something like 'fuck Hugh' to Kate Elliott and she just came back with tented fingers and something to the tune of 'excellent'.

Extremely well written character, and sadly what sold me on Elliott as a writer - I HATE THAT MOTHERFUCKER. But he's just so convincingly written and... fuck that guy.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28511 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 October 2022 - 02:13 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 October 2022 - 12:08 PM, said:

I was sort of concerned about this as it's a departure from her normal style. Shouldn't have worried. I trust Claire North!

I was looking at this in Waterstones the other day - I haven't read any Claire North before.

Should I start elsewhere or good to go with Ithaca?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28512 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 October 2022 - 02:25 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 October 2022 - 02:13 PM, said:

I was looking at this in Waterstones the other day - I haven't read any Claire North before.

Read everything she has ever written!

My opinion is that you should start with The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August or Touch, only because they are my two favourites.

We have a dedicated thread for her - in reality I don't think you can go wrong with any of them and you'll see in the thread that we all have ones we prefer for various reasons. I imagine you quite like The Sudden Appearance of Hope now I think about it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28513 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 October 2022 - 02:47 PM

Started THE SHINING COURT by Michelle West (Book 3 of The Sun Sword, and Book 6 of the overall Essalieyan series), and I'm excited to get more info on the Voyani!

I re-read the ending to THE UNCROWNED KING just to refresh myself on it as I go into this one, and it's still such an epic finale....but I know people ADORE Book 3/6 so I'm excited to see where the story goes now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28514 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 October 2022 - 04:22 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 October 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 October 2022 - 02:13 PM, said:

My opinion is that you should start with The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August or Touch, only because they are my two favourites.

We have a dedicated thread for her - in reality I don't think you can go wrong with any of them and you'll see in the thread that we all have ones we prefer for various reasons. I imagine you quite like The Sudden Appearance of Hope now I think about it...

I'll double down on this, for some god unknown reason we all three seem to like a pot of the same so I'll go out on a limb and say try Hope or August and you'll be reeled in

#28515 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 28 October 2022 - 04:51 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 October 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

Probably don't make 84K your first Claire North read. It's really the only thing by her that's not flat-out fantastic. :) (Shoot, I still haven't read The End of the Day; I need to remedy that soon.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28516 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:14 PM

I'll join the chorus speaking up for Harry August. That was a good book.

#28517 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 October 2022 - 09:22 PM

View PostJPK, on 28 October 2022 - 06:14 PM, said:

I'll join the chorus speaking up for Harry August. That was a good book.

AND MY SWORD!

...wait, what were we talking about?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28518 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 October 2022 - 12:40 AM

I still think the Matthew Swift books were the best things she ever wrote. But she's found more success doing these other things.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28519 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 October 2022 - 03:05 PM

Thanks all! :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#28520 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 October 2022 - 07:41 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 October 2022 - 12:40 AM, said:

I still think the Matthew Swift books were the best things she ever wrote. But she's found more success doing these other things.

I keep meaning to get these! I have a £25 Kindle Credit so maybe I'll get all 4...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic