• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27661 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:33 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 26 September 2021 - 04:29 AM, said:

Put the shadows of the apt first book on hold. Currently reading mr Borrel and dr strange or whatever it's called, by the same lady who wrote piranesi which I enjoyed.

A very different, but equally fantastic book!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#27662 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 September 2021 - 09:54 AM

Maybe I should circle back to Strange and Norrel, I managed about 50 pages and dropped it I think

#27663 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:07 AM

Read Moon Over Soho. Quite good, a bit of a pace improvement over Rivers of London from what I can recall (read the first one a couple of years back).

Eight dead jazz musicians out of 11.

On to Whispers Under Ground.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27664 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:06 PM

View PostJPK, on 26 September 2021 - 06:13 AM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 26 September 2021 - 04:29 AM, said:

Put the shadows of the apt first book on hold. Currently reading mr Borrel and dr strange or whatever it’s called, by the same lady who wrote piranesi which I enjoyed.

That would be JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL and a rather excellent book.

I like my title better.
Error: Signature not valid

#27665 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:35 AM

No I just put it on hold at the library based off of this conversation.
Error: Signature not valid

#27666 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:36 AM

View PostMacros, on 26 September 2021 - 09:54 AM, said:

Maybe I should circle back to Strange and Norrel, I managed about 50 pages and dropped it I think

It is a very slow burn in the beginning, but once the antagonist is properly introduced the book really picked up for me and was very compelling.

#27667 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:41 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 27 September 2021 - 02:35 AM, said:

Don't expect miracles out of the first book, it's decent but very tropey in a lot of ways. It really reads like a coming of age fantasy for a small core cast, and it takes a couple of books for the character work to really start setting in. The things I would say to really pay attention to in the first novel are the world-building and the conflicts between the old world and new. If those aspects appeal to you, push though the first two books and you'll start seeing major improvements in other aspects of the novels around book three.

#27668 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:49 PM

View PostJPK, on 27 September 2021 - 02:41 AM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 27 September 2021 - 02:35 AM, said:

Don't expect miracles out of the first book, it's decent but very tropey in a lot of ways. It really reads like a coming of age fantasy for a small core cast, and it takes a couple of books for the character work to really start setting in. The things I would say to really pay attention to in the first novel are the world-building and the conflicts between the old world and new. If those aspects appeal to you, push though the first two books and you'll start seeing major improvements in other aspects of the novels around book three.

This.

Book 2 was better than book 1 for me, and then book 3 solidified it as one of my faves.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27669 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2021 - 07:13 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 December 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 09 December 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 December 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 09 December 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 December 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 25 November 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Grabbed THREE PARTS DEAD by Max Gladstone, based on many recco's here by those I trust and because it was only $3 on Amazon, so I figured I'd take a shot at it. I liked the prologue with the chain-smoking priest dude at any rate.

It's wizard-lawyers throwing spells made out of contract interpretations and powered by faith channeled through shell companies. What's not to love?!

If I was on the Malaz discord right now I would post :peepochrist: in response to that.

Hmmm. 15 USD for the first five books in the series? I mean, I'd practically be losing money if I didn't buy that bundle!

It saddens me that i have owned that ebook for ages but have yet to read it.

I do have the earbook of the first book but i keep procrastinating because i suspect i would want to get the rest immediately and earbook prices are silly if you don't have the audible credits.

I'm 4 books deep and can confirm you'll want to get them all immediately.

NOT HELPING.

Am now approx 1/2way through THREE PARTS DEAD... reading this after INDEXING may have been a tactical error, because despite many glowing forum reco's, it's not grabbing me. Too much talking, too many meetings, too much looking and not enough doing....

Fortunately SANDMAN ACT 2 lands tonight, so i will take a break and come back after Gaiman and his absurdly talented audio cast blow my mind out the backs of my eyes.

THREE PARTS DEAD was not in fact dead. It picked up enough in the last quarter or so that i stuck with it and it nailed the landing even if the journey had some turbulence.
Interesting world and the ending made some neat choices i did not see coming. Also the first instance i have ever read of Checkov's smokes.
Will read the next one in the nearish future.

And now...

View PostAbyss, on 14 September 2021 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 September 2021 - 02:10 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 13 September 2021 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 September 2021 - 09:43 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 10 September 2021 - 07:20 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 September 2021 - 10:46 AM, said:

... now I am listening to SANDMAN ACT I. Oh my days. They have done a flipping good job on this. It is less of a narrated story and more of a radio drama in style.

I think it was Abyss that recommended it and I'm so glad I took that advice. Will download ACT II to listen to it following this.

It was, glad you did, i am SO psyched for the next one, Sept 22!

Oh man but I'd forgotten how dark this gets on occasion. Listening to the awesome chapter where the group is stuck in the diner by Dr Destiny. I've read it before a number of times but it's been a while. Such a great plot but some of it is pretty brutal.

They went way darker there than i expected, even if they dodged some of the ickier bits from the floppy.

Another surprise for me is that Kat Dennings was actually pretty good as Death! Was not sure she'd do the character justice (and I would not really want her in the live action version) but she is pretty good!

I'd go further and say she nailed it. The entire audio cast is brilliant.
My one criticism was that a couple of the less human voices were either difficult to understand or not inhuman enough, but that's a minor point, nothing was impacted.

THE SANDMAN ACT 2 is brilliant.
Am about 1/2way thru, and it. Is. BRILLIANT.

I had wondered whether this Act, moving into a (slightly) more linear storyline that is Season of Mists might be less engaging than the gloriously turbulent Act 1, but nope.
Far from it. The voicework on the Endless are absolutely perfect, and words fail me at the production of Morpheus' visit with Lucifer as they travel through Hell.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27670 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:30 PM

Alright Abyss, I'm starting THE SANDMAN ACT 1 due to your pushing. I just reread ABSOLUTE SANDMAN Volumes 1 & 2 earlier this year, so it's pretty fresh in my memory. I'm hoping this is half as good as you have lead me to believe.

#27671 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:37 PM

I knew Act II would be good. I'll get it on the morrow.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27672 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:01 AM

View PostJPK, on 27 September 2021 - 08:30 PM, said:

Alright Abyss, I'm starting THE SANDMAN ACT 1 due to your pushing. I just reread ABSOLUTE SANDMAN Volumes 1 & 2 earlier this year, so it's pretty fresh in my memory. I'm hoping this is half as good as you have lead me to believe.

I hope so too. I've read the graphics multiple times, the last being a few years ago. This is adapting the story for a different medium. The same but different, so to speak. I'm curious what you think with the comics reasonably recent in your brainz.
For me, it's like experiencing the story again like it's new.

....relatedly, if the Netflix series can generate half this level of feels it will be a glorious thing.

#27673 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:01 AM

View PostAbyss, on 28 September 2021 - 04:01 AM, said:

I hope so too. I've read the graphics multiple times, the last being a few years ago. This is adapting the story for a different medium. The same but different, so to speak. I'm curious what you think with the comics reasonably recent in your brainz.

....relatedly, if the Netflix series can generate half this level of feels it will be a glorious thing.

Its is 2am
I have been listening for way way too long.
And the Chapter 5 interlude just hit me with omega level nightmare fuel.

Argh.

Seriously... horrified. That was... that may have been worse (in a good way) than anything the floppies ever did.

Gag.

....oh thank gods the Clurucan!

#27674 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:31 AM

I posted the first look trailer in the TV thread a day or so back. It looks good enough to keep me very interested!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27675 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

Am I the only person who reads Ben Aaronovitch with a Google map of London at the ready? I quite like maps and it's quite fun to check it zooming in and out, even street view or just the images of the address.

I think somewhere in my recent travels I found a map where someone had handily placed pins for all the locations mentioned in the books, not that I can find it again ... :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27676 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:05 AM

It's a good idea! I always like maps to help me visualise be they fantasy or real.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27677 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 28 September 2021 - 03:28 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 September 2021 - 07:53 AM, said:

Am I the only person who reads Ben Aaronovitch with a Google map of London at the ready? I quite like maps and it's quite fun to check it zooming in and out, even street view or just the images of the address.

I think somewhere in my recent travels I found a map where someone had handily placed pins for all the locations mentioned in the books, not that I can find it again ... :p

I'm on Book 3! Is this the map you were talking about?

#27678 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:41 PM

Just finished the Diner. That was suitably horrifying. I think the horror aspects really shine though in the audio drama.

#27679 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:52 PM

View PostJPK, on 28 September 2021 - 06:41 PM, said:

Just finished the Diner. That was suitably horrifying. I think the horror aspects really shine though in the audio drama.

I did not think they could pull that off, and if anything they improved on that aspect of the floppies.
Seriously, Act 2 just freaked me right out ....and i KNEW what was going to happen.

#27680 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 September 2021 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostJPK, on 28 September 2021 - 06:41 PM, said:

I did not think they could pull that off, and if anything they improved on that aspect of the floppies.
Seriously, Act 2 just freaked me right out ....and i KNEW what was going to happen.

Act II loaded and ready to go. It's funny cos I can hardly remember most of the stories, except snippets and vague outlines (oh and the story of Hob Gadling is one that has stuck with me and indeed served as a tiny bit of inspiration for by own novels) but when I get to them it all floods back. After finishing Act I I went back to read the first three books (I have the full set in the ten volumes or whatever it is). Fleshes it out in such a wonderful way.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic