#27641 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:51 AM

View Postworry, on 16 September 2021 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 16 September 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

Wait, there are 6 craft books?

They pretend to be craft but they're owned by Anheuser Busch.

How in the sam fuck did I miss this absolute gem. Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27642 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:38 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 September 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 16 September 2021 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 16 September 2021 - 07:48 AM, said:

Wait, there are 6 craft books?

They pretend to be craft but they're owned by Anheuser Busch.

How in the sam fuck did I miss this absolute gem. Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

I am still laughing at this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27643 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:14 PM

I didn't get it at all

#27644 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:25 PM

There's an enormous craft beer market in the US in that there's huge demand for it and hundreds or thousands of small beer companies making the beer. It's often approached in a way that is similar to indie music where early adopters focus way hard on "not being the man/huge corporation" etc.

Anheuser Busch is the dominant beer maker in the US overall (Budweiser, Bud Light etc) and bought out or has a stake in probably a couple dozen large-ish craft breweries over the last 10-15 years to take them from being total outsiders to probably the biggest overall presence in craft beer sales. Some people look down on these breweries for selling out or talk shit about how the gigantic beer companies shouldn't be moving into the craft beer space.

That's the background to the book joke.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27645 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:05 PM

View PostMacros, on 22 September 2021 - 02:14 PM, said:

I didn't get it at all

View Postamphibian, on 22 September 2021 - 02:25 PM, said:

you had to be there

ftfy
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27646 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:23 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 16 September 2021 - 03:59 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 16 September 2021 - 03:40 AM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 16 September 2021 - 03:29 AM, said:

I just started prince of thorns and think I'm going to hate it. Anyone read it? Worth giving it a shot?

Read it, enjoyed it, suggest you stick w it a bit longer. Things are not exactly what they seem. Mostly. Sort of.

I’ll give it a bit more on your recommendation then.

I finished it and my opinion didn’t change much. It just tries so hard to as dark as possible that it is almost comical. Did not enjoy the style of glossing over huge plot points with barely a description. (And then everything blew up. Anyways, here’s the prince being too angry at the world for magic to work on him.) perversely though I think I’m going to read something else as a palate cleanser and then do the next in the series. There are some interesting things going on, and I hate myself.
Error: Signature not valid

#27647 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:45 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 22 September 2021 - 08:23 PM, said:

I just started prince of thorns and think I'm going to hate it. Anyone read it? Worth giving it a shot?

Read it, enjoyed it, suggest you stick w it a bit longer. Things are not exactly what they seem. Mostly. Sort of.

I'll give it a bit more on your recommendation then.

I finished it and my opinion didn't change much. It just tries so hard to as dark as possible that it is almost comical. Did not enjoy the style of glossing over huge plot points with barely a description. (And then everything blew up. Anyways, here's the prince being too angry at the world for magic to work on him.) perversely though I think I'm going to read something else as a palate cleanser and then do the next in the series. There are some interesting things going on, and I hate myself.

There is another series set in this world that follows a different pair of leads that I liked much better than Jorgy. If you can force yourself though the Thorns trilogy based on the interesting stuff happening in the world around him, I highly recommend it.

#27648 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:54 AM

View PostJPK, on 22 September 2021 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 22 September 2021 - 08:23 PM, said:

I'll give it a bit more on your recommendation then.

I finished it and my opinion didn't change much. It just tries so hard to as dark as possible that it is almost comical. Did not enjoy the style of glossing over huge plot points with barely a description. (And then everything blew up. Anyways, here's the prince being too angry at the world for magic to work on him.) perversely though I think I'm going to read something else as a palate cleanser and then do the next in the series. There are some interesting things going on, and I hate myself.

There is another series set in this world that follows a different pair of leads that I liked much better than Jorgy. If you can force yourself though the Thorns trilogy based on the interesting stuff happening in the world around him, I highly recommend it.

I think you could even skip the Thorns trilogy and read the Red Queen's War trilogy, then come back to Thorns after.

#27649 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:54 AM

I didn't really gel with the first one myself, have the second to read at some point. The main takeaway I got from it was that you can get published with a main character who does Gandhi in Civ level war crimes on the regular.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27650 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:34 PM

Reading piranesi by Susannah Clark now. It’s weird and fun and very strange. I like it.

#27651 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:02 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 23 September 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

Reading piranesi by Susannah Clark now. It's weird and fun and very strange. I like it.

I really enjoyed that book. It was weird and confusing and marvelous in so many ways. I am very happy I went into it "blind".
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#27652 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 25 September 2021 - 01:15 AM

Me too. The only thing I knew going in was that it was best to go in Knowing nothing

#27653 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...

Posted 25 September 2021 - 12:55 PM

Currently reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote; which I picked up on a whim - now that I can actually shop for books in an actual book shop. I really should have read this many years ago. It's very, very well written.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 25 September 2021 - 12:57 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#27654 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:55 PM

Why haven't I seen more buzz about Tchaikovsky's SHADOWS OF THE APT from all of you? They've been getting the staggered released treatment on audio this year and I've got about a quarter of book 6 THE SEA WATCH left to go. The world-building is amazing and the character work is so good. It's also a completed series, so that should check some boxes for some of you.

#27655 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:06 PM

View PostJPK, on 25 September 2021 - 04:55 PM, said:

Why haven't I seen more buzz about Tchaikovsky's SHADOWS OF THE APT from all of you? They've been getting the staggered released treatment on audio this year and I've got about a quarter of book 6 THE SEA WATCH left to go. The world-building is amazing and the character work is so good. It's also a completed series, so that should check some boxes for some of you.

There's a whole thread devoted to those books - I think it hasn't been updated in a while, but there's lots of thoughts on each book as people went through them. I think there's 6 or 8 of us who went through the series, waiting for each installment to come out. I joined later than most here and might have been onboard in time for the last book to be published (serendipitous).

I've read the Children series and probably will circle back to his other things as I get through more books by other authors.

I'm currently reading Sidewinders by Robert Redick, which is a sequel to the Master Assassins book I loved (hint: the master assassins are extreeeeemely not master assassins, they just get stuck with the title due to bumbling through events). This series is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

#27656 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:20 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 September 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

There's a whole thread devoted to those books - I think it hasn't been updated in a while, but there's lots of thoughts on each book as people went through them. I think there's 6 or 8 of us who went through the series, waiting for each installment to come out. I joined later than most here and might have been onboard in time for the last book to be published (serendipitous).

I've read the Children series and probably will circle back to his other things as I get through more books by other authors.

I'm currently reading Sidewinders by Robert Redick, which is a sequel to the Master Assassins book I loved (hint: the master assassins are extreeeeemely not master assassins, they just get stuck with the title due to bumbling through events). This series is fantastic and I highly recommend it.

I remember enjoying some of the shadows of the apt, but being cold on some of the later books I stopped on heirs of the blade I think. Are the later ones worth reading?

#27657 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:40 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 25 September 2021 - 05:20 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 25 September 2021 - 05:06 PM, said:

I remember enjoying some of the shadows of the apt, but being cold on some of the later books I stopped on heirs of the blade I think. Are the later ones worth reading?

It ends quite well and I think I liked having read the whole series. Tchaikovsky kept the writing improvements going into his next books as well.

#27658 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:03 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 25 September 2021 - 12:55 PM, said:

Currently reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote; which I picked up on a whim - now that I can actually shop for books in an actual book shop. I really should have read this many years ago. It's very, very well written.

Yah it is!
By the by, I was recently watching an old episode of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson where Truman Capote was a guest. He was detailing a crime spree that sounded absolutely incredible, with people mysteriously receiving tiny coffins, and serial murders -- several of which were committed 'by rattlesnake'! He eventually did publish it as a true crime story called Handcarved Coffins. But there later came a lot of legitimate dispute to the veracity of this story, which had some seeds of truth in a case Al Dewey told him about, but that Capote mostly fabricated in later life for his story. I guess after In Cold Blood he felt both incredible pressure to repeat that success (that he failed to repeat, at least in accordance with non-fiction standards) and addiction to the status and other perks that In Cold Blood brought him. All that said, the way he told the story on The Tonight Show was still pretty mesmerizing.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27659 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:29 AM

Put the shadows of the apt first book on hold. Currently reading mr Borrel and dr strange or whatever it’s called, by the same lady who wrote piranesi which I enjoyed.

#27660 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:13 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 26 September 2021 - 04:29 AM, said:

Put the shadows of the apt first book on hold. Currently reading mr Borrel and dr strange or whatever it’s called, by the same lady who wrote piranesi which I enjoyed.

That would be JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL and a rather excellent book.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users