#26701 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 November 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 03 November 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 03 November 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

Finished Revelation Space.

Not bad, I enjoyed a lot of it, found the writing a bit clunky in places. Not sure I want to jump into book 2 unless it gets better?

You can try Chasm City (which is technically the 2nd book, but also not really part of the trilogy made from books 1/3/4.) It's a much different animal than the rest of the series. Or if you want a little less commitment I recommend his Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days omnibus collecting two unrelated novellas set in the same universe.

Seconding all this.

Thanks! Will Chasm City spoil the 2nd two in the main trilogy, or does it just fit in there as a side story?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 November 2020 - 06:36 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#26702 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:50 PM

View PostTraveller, on 03 November 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

Thanks! Will Chasm City spoil the 2nd two in the main trilogy, or does it just fit in there as a side story?

No, it was just published second, and is completely unrelated, plot-wise. If I recall, it takes place (flashbacks notwithstanding) in a period of time that Revelation Space skipped over, shortly after Yellowstone was hit with the Melding Plague.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 03 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#26703 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 03 November 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 November 2020 - 06:37 AM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 03 November 2020 - 04:47 AM, said:

Read the first third of Claire North's SWEET HARMONY last night, which is utterly terrifying in its plausibility.

Ooh forgot to mention I've started reading this too and yeah I can definitely see
Spoiler
I'm only about 3 chapters in but once again I'm very much drawn into the world she has created.

Finished it last night. It was very good, but then I expected nothing less. Once again, North writes a very moving, compelling, human character in Harmony. I can't say I was entirely satisfied with how the story ended, but at the same time I'm not sure it could have ended any other way.

Sweet. I'm on night shift tonight I'm going to try and get it read. Will let you know. I already really like her as a character, as you say she feels real and human.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26704 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:53 PM

Not bad, I enjoyed a lot of it, found the writing a bit clunky in places. Not sure I want to jump into book 2 unless it gets better?

You can try Chasm City (which is technically the 2nd book, but also not really part of the trilogy made from books 1/3/4.) It's a much different animal than the rest of the series. Or if you want a little less commitment I recommend his Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days omnibus collecting two unrelated novellas set in the same universe.

Seconding all this.

CHASM CITY takes place earlier in the timeline (2510), during the/around the time of the Melding plague you've heard about in REVELATION SPACE (2551), which is why people usually fit it in between book 1 and book 2 of the trilogy. So no spoilers, and if anything, it gives you a better positioning as understanding why the universe is how it is in the RS time.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26705 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:39 PM

Damnit Saltman!

Im trying NOT to buy books but Claire Norths work is must read.

#26706 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:40 PM

blargh, only available on kindle, poo poo to that

#26707 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 November 2020 - 06:53 PM, said:

Seconding all this.

CHASM CITY takes place earlier in the timeline (2510), during the/around the time of the Melding plague you've heard about in REVELATION SPACE (2551), which is why people usually fit it in between book 1 and book 2 of the trilogy. So no spoilers, and if anything, it gives you a better positioning as understanding why the universe is how it is in the RS time.

Thanks QT, that's decided that for me then!

I hate that feeling of not knowing what to read next. I'm on a sci fi roll now though; working my way through The Expanse, playing Rebel Galaxy, and reading Reynolds. It's just awesome, the 3 have
some harmonious cross-over points, and go really well together.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 November 2020 - 08:17 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#26708 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:13 AM

Finished the audiobook of Harrow the Ninth, put a couple of thoughts in the dedthread.

Just deciding what to listen to next.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26709 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:31 AM

Going to listen to The House of Earth and Blood which is the first in the Crescent City series.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26710 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 November 2020 - 03:13 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 November 2020 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 03 November 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 November 2020 - 06:37 AM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 03 November 2020 - 04:47 AM, said:

Read the first third of Claire North's SWEET HARMONY last night, which is utterly terrifying in its plausibility.

Ooh forgot to mention I've started reading this too and yeah I can definitely see
Spoiler
I'm only about 3 chapters in but once again I'm very much drawn into the world she has created.

Finished it last night. It was very good, but then I expected nothing less. Once again, North writes a very moving, compelling, human character in Harmony. I can't say I was entirely satisfied with how the story ended, but at the same time I'm not sure it could have ended any other way.

Sweet. I'm on night shift tonight I'm going to try and get it read. Will let you know. I already really like her as a character, as you say she feels real and human.

Man. Quite harrowing but not quite as depressing as 84K. Very quick and easy read really but there's a lot packed in there.

Also the bit that made me giggle in a somewhat disturbed way was the
Spoiler

All in all a solid effort and I could easily have read more of Harmony. I think my running Claire North rankings are:

Touch
Harry August
Hope
Harmony

Not read William Abbey or the Gameshouse novellas.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 04 November 2020 - 03:21 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26711 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 November 2020 - 05:39 AM

View PostTraveller, on 03 November 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

I hate that feeling of not knowing what to read next. I'm on a sci fi roll now though; working my way through The Expanse, playing Rebel Galaxy, and reading Reynolds. It's just awesome, the 3 have

Chasm City was a tough read for me compared to, say, Revelation Space and Redemption Ark. Characters from Chasm City appear - not in major roles decidedly - in Redemption Ark but, as others have said, the book more or less stands alone.

This post has been edited by Zeto Demerzel: 04 November 2020 - 05:39 AM

#26712 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:31 AM

View PostMacros, on 03 November 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

blargh, only available on kindle, poo poo to that

So get Calibre for your tablet. Reads all ebook formats and a few others. Can convert some formats as well.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26713 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 04 November 2020 - 05:39 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 03 November 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

Chasm City was a tough read for me compared to, say, Revelation Space and Redemption Ark. Characters from Chasm City appear - not in major roles decidedly - in Redemption Ark but, as others have said, the book more or less stands alone.

Agreed, did not love. I adored the setting, but compared to the complexity and sheer wtf of REVSPACE, CHASM was trope heavy urban fantasy as far as characters, plot, action, etc.

I am overdue to resume that series but part of me wants to reread Revspace first and part of me doesn't have the patience when i have so much new stuff to read.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26714 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:07 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 November 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

Agreed, did not love. I adored the setting, but compared to the complexity and sheer wtf of REVSPACE, CHASM was trope heavy urban fantasy as far as characters, plot, action, etc.

I am overdue to resume that series but part of me wants to reread Revspace first and part of me doesn't have the patience when i have so much new stuff to read.

Pretty much my reaction to Chasm City too. Galactic North is a great collection set in the same series with shorts that intertwine with the main novels. Diamond Dogs and Turquoise Days are also set in the same universe although they are mostly stand-alones.

#26715 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 November 2020 - 01:17 PM

Would not read Galactic North until after done with the main series. There's a story in it that is a sort of ending to the whole thing.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26716 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2020 - 01:31 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 November 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

Would not read Galactic North until after done with the main series. There's a story in it that is a sort of ending to the whole thing.

But they could technically read 90% of it safely as I think it's only the last story that is the spoiler for the end?

The first story in that, The Great Wall of Mars is my favourite piece of Reynolds fiction ever.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26717 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

I think Great Wall works best as an "after series" find. Makes Clavain all that much better.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26718 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 November 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

I think Great Wall works best as an "after series" find. Makes Clavain all that much better.

Maybe. It was my first Reynolds-verse read and I did okay though.

#26719 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:18 AM

I am currently reading Tanith Lee's SECRET BOOKS OF PARADYS series, starting with THE BOOK OF THE DAMNED. I'm amazed at how much I'm loving her prose.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#26720 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:50 AM

Starting Stephen Fry's Troy this weekend. I loved Mythos and Heroes so very much hoping for more of the same!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

29 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users