• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#25961 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 February 2020 - 04:49 AM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 20 February 2020 - 08:58 PM, said:

Under Heaven > Al Rassan > Sarantine > Tigana > Arbonne > Earth and Sky > Last Light > River of Stars for me, but I gotta reread River of Stars and Arbonne for a proper ranking. Also not read Brightness Long Ago yet.

I liked RIver of Stars more than Under Heaven, though they're both good (... but the Chinese source material is better).

While I've only studied classical Chinese a little, GGK provides a(n un)fairly typical post-Modernist misrepresentation of it. His prose is also just okay in these books.

I loved his other books when I was twelve.

What's the source material? I gather the events of Under Heaven mirror the real history of the time its based on very closely (the most of any of his books), but are there presumably Chinese stories also based around then?

I just re-read River and would move it up a few slots, above Earth and Sky and maybe Arbonne (pending a re-read of that), but it still has the issue for me that in the latter third it just starts skipping massive chunks of time, plot and character development at a time in a really haphazard fashion. It really feels like it should have been at least three books. Under Heaven is my favourite in that it's the precise opposite, of all Kay's books bar Al-Rassan it has the strongest, most consistent throughline (and it pips Al-Rassan coz it sticks the landing better).

I'm now reading A Brightness Long Ago and it's superb. Probably juuuust lacking the really great scenes of tension-shifting conversational intrigue that I love so much about his best work to put it in the top three, but it does other things better than Kay has ever done, in particular having some developments that are genuinely shocking by building character arcs independently of the major plot points that those plot turns can then disrupt.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#25962 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:05 AM

Damn, I really need to buy Earth and Sky. Dunno why, but I just kept putting that one off.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25963 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

Finished Samantha Shannon's The Priory of the Orange Tree last night. So good! A huge, epic standalone fantasy. Global scope, conflicting religions, a little magic, a little romance, two kinds of dragons (Eastern-style and Western-style!) My only knock against it is that the climax felt fairly rushed, and thereby rather, well, anticlimactic. But the ending overall was fine. The author really could have milked this into a series, and on the one hand I'm glad (and impressed!) she didn't, but at the same time I kinda wish there was more...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#25964 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:38 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 05 March 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

Finished Samantha Shannon's The Priory of the Orange Tree last night. So good! A huge, epic standalone fantasy. Global scope, conflicting religions, a little magic, a little romance, two kinds of dragons (Eastern-style and Western-style!) My only knock against it is that the climax felt fairly rushed, and thereby rather, well, anticlimactic. But the ending overall was fine. The author really could have milked this into a series, and on the one hand I'm glad (and impressed!) she didn't, but at the same time I kinda wish there was more...

I'll keep this one on my radar. It caught my eye at Barnes & Noble, as these big fat door stoppers often do.

#25965 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:56 PM

I've been eyeing this huge book in my bookstores for some time now.

Good to hear some endorsements. I'll have to grab it next time there's a hardback sale at Chapters.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25966 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:31 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 05 March 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

I'll keep this one on my radar. It caught my eye at Barnes & Noble, as these big fat door stoppers often do.

View PostMentalist, on 05 March 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

Good to hear some endorsements. I'll have to grab it next time there's a hardback sale at Chapters.

Got it during the audible half price sale. Think I'll put it on deck for my next epic fantasy fix.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25967 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2020 - 05:31 AM, said:

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 05 March 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 05 March 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

Got it during the audible half price sale. Think I'll put it on deck for my next epic fantasy fix.

Serious question Abby old cat - how do you check the maps when you're earbooking?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25968 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:00 PM

Finished up A meeting at Corvallis this morning.

A solid fun trilogy, with a real kicker of an ending.

Onto MoI now for the forum reread

#25969 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 March 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

Serious question Abby old cat - how do you check the maps when you're earbooking?

Serious answer: i mostly ignore them. If i'm deeply curious i'll look at the map when i have time... they're usually attached as .pdfs to earbooks.... but i've never been the kind of fantasy/sf fan who needs to track events on a map.

#25970 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 February 2020 - 04:20 PM, said:

Holding pattern post ASHLORDS waiting for Aaronovich's next Peter Grant book so roll on Scalzi's OLD MAN'S WAR: THE HUMAN DIVISION.

Each chapter is a more or less complete story contributing to a larger work. Some are great, some are just ok. I do enjoy how it builds the world from the series.

I did briefly start OLD MAN'S WAR: ZOE'S TALE but decided i could wait to get to that. It's a side story from THE LAST COLONY and knowing how things play out i found myself unengaged.

View PostAbyss, on 25 February 2020 - 06:51 PM, said:

FALSE VALUE EARBOOK HAS LANDED and is being beamed directly into my head !!!!!

Just Finished FALSE VALUE. Great addition to the series, loads of fantastic character moments. Rock solid book in the series. More in the ded0thread.

Then Just Finished the last half of Scalzi's THE HUMAN DIVISION. Y'know... this is one of those rare moments where the earbook is superior to the text version, imnsho. The events are not that strikingly original, and Scalzi is a very good writer but, for my tastes, this is not his bestest... yet the earbook narrator, Wiliam Dufris, is amazing. Arguably, he does more to bring these characters to life than the actual book. I'm not slamming the book, but i'm pretty blown away by how much better it is because of the voicework of one person.

I will give Scalzi props tho, that considering the book is more or less a collection of linked but separate stories in the same setting, he constructs an overarching story that is properly gripping, nicely paced, and manages to give a fairly big cast ample time to shine.

Not sure if i'll take a break or move directly to OLD MAN'S WAR book 6 THE END OF ALL THINGS next.

#25971 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2020 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 06 March 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

Serious answer: i mostly ignore them. If i'm deeply curious i'll look at the map when i have time... they're usually attached as .pdfs to earbooks.... but i've never been the kind of fantasy/sf fan who needs to track events on a map.

Using maps in an ebook is seriously obnoxious as well (especially on an actual e-ink reader where I can't, like, have another tab open or something.) Priory has two maps, but they're basically just a high-level EAST and WEST map, and I fortunately found them to be perfectly unnecessary.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#25972 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 March 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

Using maps in an ebook is seriously obnoxious as well (especially on an actual e-ink reader where I can't, like, have another tab open or something.) Priory has two maps, but they're basically just a high-level EAST and WEST map, and I fortunately found them to be perfectly unnecessary.

Can't you just bookmark and jump?

With a tablet i can even have the map side by side w text if i actually care to do so via screen cap. I generally don't. It's only the rare series like Malazan or SIF where i'm engaged enough to look at a map to see where things happened or how far apart things are.

#25973 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2020 - 07:00 PM, said:

Can't you just bookmark and jump?

I could, but it's still annoying: Tap once to bring up the header menu, another tap to load the full menu, tap "View Notes & Marks" to bring up bookmarks, and then a fourth and final tap to select my map bookmark (assuming I don't have more bookmarks I need to scroll through.) And then it's two taps to get back to my place in the book (header + back). And with e-ink there's always that ever-so-slight delay to the touch controls and the screen drawing, so it always feels that much slower.

#25974 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

I've got an old school Kindle so it's even more awkward. If I really need a map I Google it on my phone instead.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25975 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

Hand draw you maps, have them beside you at all times

#25976 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 March 2020 - 06:52 AM

Finally starting my MoI reread

#25977 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:15 AM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Just Finished FALSE VALUE. Great addition to the series, loads of fantastic character moments. Rock solid book in the series. More in the ded0thread.

Why must you turn MalazanEmpire into a house of lies?

#25978 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 March 2020 - 09:15 AM, said:

i didn't say when in the dedthread, did i?

#25979 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 March 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 March 2020 - 09:15 AM, said:

i didn't say when in the dedthread, did i?

One thousand years in the future!!

(I'm just messing with ya)

#25980 User is offline   Stylo 

• Recruit
  • Interests:reading writing music

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:44 AM

I'm on chapter 7 of House of Chains now. And yeah yeah I know this still probably isn't the thread to announce that I'm reading Malazan. I'm also reading... well, kinda pluggin away at a re-read of the Stand, more Wodehouse stories, a little Gene Wolfe, Zelazny, some non-fic about reading (Jo Walton's 'What Makes This Book So Great' which is more or less a compilation of TOR blog posts regarding SF stuff)... and thinking about picking up where I left off in Don Quixote (I hit one of those 'pastoral interludes' which while not bad may have halted my momentum at the time). Also getting strong Pynchon cravings but I really gotta try and limit how many God Damn Giant Books I pick up at once...

Oh yeah, and I was thinking of continuing to re-read what relatively little I've read of the Dresden Files. I got to I think book 5 and realized I'd forgotten a bunch of shit about vampires and presumably important characters.

Also whoever mentioned the Malaz Discord, I joined it a couple days ago, if it's the Moon's Spawn one anyway.

This post has been edited by Stylo: 10 March 2020 - 04:48 AM

"never seen a ghost, no? but you have heard of them" bob dylan
"some of these people really have become my friends, in the pre-internet sense of the term" thomas pynchon
"&if that's what you think you heard, then that's what you heard" guided by voices
"citation needed" - wikipedia
@styl_oh

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users