• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#25981 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:29 AM

You're currently reading HoC, therefore this is the place to mention it.

If you've questions or spoilers about it I'd say head up to the dedicated forum

#25982 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:53 AM

HOHO. You are here, Stylo.

:jigglewobblanket:

I am almost finished with Rejoice. D4 dice roll had chosen Lord Foul's Bane as my next read.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#25983 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

DRAGON PRINCE by Melaine Rawn (an author I really enjoy), is fucking terrible. I only got 100 pages in...but woof...

Moving onto something else.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25984 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:34 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 March 2020 - 02:05 PM, said:

DRAGON PRINCE by Melaine Rawn (an author I really enjoy), is fucking terrible. I only got 100 pages in...but woof...

I remember that book. Heh, very much formative fantasy for me. One character in particular has a most agreeable amount of A in their name.

Finished Rejoice. I really enjoyed it, but I can see why those with politically incorrect views might have not.

Next up is Lord Foul's Bane.

#25985 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:41 PM

Finally (no one scold me) KELLANVED'S REACH. Realized it was in the ToReadPile...and was like "Wait, WTF haven't I read it yet?"

So I'm naturally enjoying that! Maybe after that I'll dive into the MBF re-read too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25986 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

Finally (no one scold me) KELLANVED'S REACH. Realized it was in the ToReadPile...and was like "Wait, WTF haven't I read it yet?"

So I'm naturally enjoying that! Maybe after that I'll dive into the MBF re-read too.

I have DNF'd that series. You couldn't pay me to read Kellanved's Speed after how bad Deadhouse Speeding was. We are nearly talking Stormbad levels of analacrity here.

#25987 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:08 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 March 2020 - 08:34 AM, said:

I remember that book. Heh, very much formative fantasy for me. One character in particular has a most agreeable amount of A in their name.

I don't think you're depriving yourself of anything.

The series as a whole isn't bad as entry level fantasy. The characters are fairly archetypical, the plots basic even for when it was written, minimal action, uninteresting dragons for the most part, but the magic is interesting and the story takes a few surprisingly dark turns. Some of the characters evolve beyond their tropes. DRAGON PRINCE as book 1 is very very basic. But for a few sex related twists it would be very YA if released today.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25988 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 March 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

I have DNF'd that series. You couldn't pay me to read Kellanved's Speed after how bad Deadhouse Speeding was. We are nearly talking Stormbad levels of analacrity here.

I got deja vu reading this. I think you've posted this comment verbatim before.

#25989 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 March 2020 - 03:29 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 March 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

He has, I very nearly posted an edit on my own original post that said "Waiting for Maark to chime in how he hates it", glad to know I wasn't wrong.

If you mention this series or the Stormlight Archives, he appears like friggin Beetlejuice to tell you how awful he thinks they are.

Maark, my man, let it go.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 March 2020 - 03:29 PM

#25990 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2020 - 03:29 PM, said:

Honestly, enough already.

...btw Tigana sucks, The Black Company is overrated, so is Lord of the Rings, Otherland was a great trilogy, Memory Sorrow and Thorn should have been called Memory Sorrow and Thorn and Fucking Singing Elves, and Terry Goodkind makes my eyes bleed.

#25991 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

Let's talk about Star Wars Episode 8 next. And transformers 2. And how good the sex and the city films were.

#25992 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:38 PM

You just made me realise I haven't read Kellanved's Reach yet. Definitely going to get round to it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25993 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:38 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 March 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

You just made me realise I haven't read Kellanved's Reach yet. Definitely going to get round to it.

Barrelled through about 70 pages so far, fantastic stuff!

#25994 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:37 AM

Finally started The Fold. Been meaning to get this one for awhile. Been great so far, and I just came across the first hint that it's involved with 14.

Spoiler

#25995 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:28 AM

View PostAbyss, on 11 March 2020 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 March 2020 - 08:34 AM, said:

The series as a whole isn't bad as entry level fantasy. The characters are fairly archetypical, the plots basic even for when it was written, minimal action, uninteresting dragons for the most part, but the magic is interesting and the story takes a few surprisingly dark turns. Some of the characters evolve beyond their tropes. DRAGON PRINCE as book 1 is very very basic. But for a few sex related twists it would be very YA if released today.

This is pretty accurate. The second trilogy however goes full on narm by trying to ham-fistedly force real world issues into a fantasy book.
Spoiler

Probably. I am consistent. It's a good trait.

He has, I very nearly posted an edit on my own original post that said "Waiting for Maark to chime in how he hates it", glad to know I wasn't wrong.

If you mention this series or the Stormlight Archives, he appears like friggin Beetlejuice to tell you how awful he thinks they are.

Daga kotowaru. The stormriders would come over the wall if I left up for even a second. Maybe don't say my name into a mirror five times again, I fucking hate bees.

View PostAbyss, on 11 March 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

...btw Tigana sucks, The Black Company is overrated, so is Lord of the Rings, Otherland was a great trilogy, Memory Sorrow and Thorn should have been called Memory Sorrow and Thorn and Fucking Singing Elves, and Terry Goodkind makes my eyes bleed.

The Wheel moves in cycles, and this doggerel is ever and always the same. I am bound to my role, as you are to your own. It will be the same next turning, and the one after that.

Do agree that Black Company was overrated.

Mostly what makes me incessantly cross about Rush to Ascendancy is what a wasted opportunity it was. There was so much scope for rich backstory and instead we got Jeremy Clarkson in a Bugatti Veyron gunning for maximum speed whilst loudly shouting.

#25996 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:34 AM

Anyway, to Isengard. Or rather what I am reading.

Thomas Covenant seems interesting so far. I rather like the choice of words in use here. Initial setup reeks of isekai but that's fine. Only about a half hour train ride in so early days yet.

#25997 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:02 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 March 2020 - 08:28 AM, said:

This is pretty accurate. The second trilogy however goes full on narm by trying to ham-fistedly force real world issues into a fantasy book.
Spoiler

The second trilo ups the stakes, except not really because while the new baddies (all of them) do present more of a threat than what we had back in the first trilo, there is always this lack of stakes... i just never bought that the good guys could ever even potentially lose. I suppose for a young reader that's actually kind of comforting, but for most i suspect it's offputting.

And that bit you spoilered was brutal writing. I was young when i read this trilo and even then i nearly threw the book away.

The Wheel moves in cycles, and this doggerel is ever and always the same. I am bound to my role, as you are to your own. It will be the same next turning, and the one after that.

All of this has happened before and will happen again.

But really it's more your sheer level of venom that's prompts comment more than the mere fact you are cold and dead inside dislike something a bunch of forumites who are all smarter, nicer, and better smelling than you quite enjoyed. We're hardly a unanimous bunch.... look at the GIDEON THE NINTH thread before we had a bunch of peoples' minds wiped .

....and Black Company is TOTALLY overrated.

#25998 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:18 AM

Hey Abyss, re: The Fold

Spoiler

#25999 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 March 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

Spoiler

The second trilo ups the stakes, except not really because while the new baddies (all of them) do present more of a threat than what we had back in the first trilo, there is always this lack of stakes... i just never bought that the good guys could ever even potentially lose. I suppose for a young reader that's actually kind of comforting, but for most i suspect it's offputting.

And that bit you spoilered was brutal writing. I was young when i read this trilo and even then i nearly threw the book away.

All of this has happened before and will happen again.

But really it's more your sheer level of venom that's prompts comment more than the mere fact you are cold and dead inside dislike something a bunch of forumites who are all smarter, nicer, and better smelling than you quite enjoyed. We're hardly a unanimous bunch.... look at the GIDEON THE NINTH thread before we had a bunch of peoples' minds wiped .

....and Black Company is TOTALLY overrated.

- RE Rawn, I don't remember the specifics of the bit in question but I do recall that the quote in question broke the SOD quite heavily.

Anyway, yes, I am leper unclean outcast cold and dead inside, and vitriol is generally my forward driver. No wonder I am enjoying Thomas Covenant so far. That said I am waiting for him to say WORT WORT WORT. When does he say this.

My venom is not only justified but vindicated by the subject matter. For me to be so grouchy about something, it really has to go out of its way to be horrifically bad. Do the Guard ever cease protecting against the Riders? They do not. A heavy duty falls to me and I intend to see it through.

I might read Gideon at some point but I am intensely mindful that the last two megahyped books (Way of Being Bad, and Kings of the Every Fucking Tired D&D Trope Ever) I read went to very high positions on my shitlist, so I am wary.

#26000 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:50 PM

On a brighter note, KELLANVED'S REACH is wonderful as of the 150 page mark!

I SHOULD be ready to join the Board Re-read by HOUSE OF CHAINS time....which is good because that's where I was in my own re-read a few months back anyways. Huzzah!

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook