• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#25421 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 October 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 29 October 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Started reading SENLIN ASCENDS for the reading group. Seems quite fun so far even if the protagonist seems rubbish (I feel like that's the point and half the story is going to be his redemption/ascendancy ;))

He gets... very not rubbish, but it takes the Tower and its inhabitants to push him into doing it.

I quite love the series for its almost steampunk Douglas Adams with a better through story nature.

Yeah I got the impression that he's deliberately being introduced as such a wussy and timid way in order to develop him and really bring him into an excellent character. I'm intrigued.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25422 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:13 AM

I finished 10000 Doors of January yesterday night. This is an author to watch IMO. Beautifully written story.

#25423 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:18 AM

Is it sad? Just that title alone makes me feel melancholy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25424 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:49 AM

Lawrence's The Liar's Key

#25425 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

I have finished the Audiobook of THE STONE OF FAREWELL the second Memory Sorrow Thorn novel. It is still so sloggy in parts. Like one of my least favourite tropes is the long arduous trek that takes up so much space with painful descriptions of how arduous it is. And so far thats about 90% of this series. I really want to like it and there have been some outstanding moments (for example when the Lector Ranessin does his speech to Pryrates I was loving it!) But man the in between bits go on! I'm in though. I'm going to see it through. Only about 60 hours left for the last 2 parts of the final novel.

However as a palate cleanser I'm going to listen to GIDEON THE NINTH so I can understand what you're all on about.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25426 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:22 PM

Finished the next volume of "Godsdoom-2". The epilogue is telling me that there will be one more that will end the cycle.

Suffice it to say, some really epic shit has hit the fan.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25427 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:38 AM

View Postworry, on 30 October 2019 - 02:18 AM, said:

Is it sad? Just that title alone makes me feel melancholy.

Its a lot of things
Its sad, and tragic, but also evocative and heroic, and hopeful. The protagonist does a lot of getting up and growing up.

I highly recommend this book tbh. Top 3 of what I have read this year, and best of the new releases I have read, and that includes books like Tiamat's Wrath

#25428 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 October 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

I have finished the Audiobook of THE STONE OF FAREWELL the second Memory Sorrow Thorn novel. It is still so sloggy in parts. Like one of my least favourite tropes is the long arduous trek that takes up so much space with painful descriptions of how arduous it is. And so far thats about 90% of this series. I really want to like it and there have been some outstanding moments (for example when the Lector Ranessin does his speech to Pryrates I was loving it!) But man the in between bits go on! I'm in though. I'm going to see it through. Only about 60 hours left for the last 2 parts of the final novel.

However as a palate cleanser I'm going to listen to GIDEON THE NINTH so I can understand what you're all on about.

This one was my least favourite in the series (I think Worry enjoys this one because of all the underground parts)...and the sloggiest by far.

Fair warning that TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER is two parts, and needn't be. There is a stellar one volume finish in there....but it's stretched out over two long volumes instead. Still love the series, but it meanders and has flaws. Funnily enough, one of the best volumes in the series is the novella bridging novel to the next series THE HEART OF WHAT WAS LOST...probably because it's short and sweet with zero filler.

---------------

On my front, 50% into AGE OF DEATH (Book 6 of the First Empire series) by Michael J. Sullivan, and something I thought I (and everyone else thought as far as I can read) knew for the last FIVE books may be entirely wrong in a SUPER interesting way. Sullivan with the late game surprises EVERY time!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25429 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

Finished up the Burning White and as with the entire series I got some mixed feelings about it. In some ways I think Weeks cheat closer to tthe end and once he start cheating he continues to solve many problems the easy way. At the same time I liked the book even the cheating parts mostly and some characters get glorious scenes. I wonder if he is thinking of writing another set of books in the same world, there seems to be indications of it.

Think I'll give the Licanius Trilogy a test next.

This post has been edited by Chance: 31 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

#25430 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 October 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

Currently still in Alex Verus 6 HIDDEN,....

Hey, this series really does get better as it proceeds. Wrapped 5 (not 6) HIDDEN, straight into 6, VEILED. All good.

...And i do so love the trope where the reader meets a crew of hardass warriors and you know, you just know, most of them are dead meat and the only question is how they go. The action in this book so far has been exceptionally entertaining so i'm looking fwd to the slaughter...

Heh, not quite what i expected, good fun all the same.

And then on into bk 7, BURNED, which i Just Finished.

Solid, picked up some of the bits from veiled and escalated nicely. And i appreciate the status quo shift for so much of the cast.
On to bk 8, BOUND.

Verus is so fucked.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25431 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 October 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 October 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

This one was my least favourite in the series (I think Worry enjoys this one because of all the underground parts)...

Worry liked those parts before they were cool.

View PostChance, on 31 October 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

The final book comes out in a month, so you'll be on a good timeline for that.

I really enjoyed the first two — I'd compare it to like Wheel Of Time with no pacing issues X Alex Marshall's Crimson Empire X Mark Lawrence's world in Broken Empire X Jemisin's world in Broken Earth X something with time travel.

Basically, Crimson Wheel Of Broken Earth Empire: Back To The Future

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 31 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

#25432 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

I did indeed like that one because of the underground parts, among other things. But then again, I am, in my own way, a slog.

I'm currently reading 2666 by Roberto Bolano. It's contemporary fiction and a doorstopper at that, but it's broken up into 5 sub-books so in between I'm slotting in volumes of the Queen & Country graphic novels (of which I'm on the first right now). I'm finding graphic novels to be a great way to take breaks from long books or series w/o being away too long.

For instance, I also read the Mister Miracle (by Tom King) collection before this. I'm only familiar with the Apokalips/New Gods stuff from the cartoons, but I think I had enough handle on it to understand what this series was doing with it. Really good stuff.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25433 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Starting Senlin Ascends tonight.

This month's book club book.

Go to the forum

Join our club

Do it

#25434 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:00 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 31 October 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 31 October 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

The final book comes out in a month, so you'll be on a good timeline for that.

I really enjoyed the first two — I'd compare it to like Wheel Of Time with no pacing issues X Alex Marshall's Crimson Empire X Mark Lawrence's world in Broken Empire X Jemisin's world in Broken Earth X something with time travel.

Basically, Crimson Wheel Of Broken Earth Empire: Back To The Future

Sounds like it is basically its own thing which is way better :)

The start up certainly have some Wheel of Time parallels but otherwise it seems to do its own thing.

This post has been edited by Chance: 01 November 2019 - 06:00 AM

#25435 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:28 AM

View PostMacros, on 31 October 2019 - 08:40 PM, said:

Starting Senlin Ascends tonight.

This month's book club book.

Go to the forum

Join our club

Do it

I would but I have read all the books you've chosen so far
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25436 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

READ THEM AGAIN

#25437 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

Well suggest a book for December then you Scandinavian fuck wit!

#25438 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:05 PM

Finished Warriors of the Altaii. It was ok. He developed a lot as an author between finishing WotA and writing EotW. The Witcher trailers looked so good that I picked The Time of Contempt from my queue for the next read.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#25439 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:22 AM

View Postacesn8s, on 01 November 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

Finished Warriors of the Altaii. It was ok. He developed a lot as an author between finishing WotA and writing EotW. The Witcher trailers looked so good that I picked The Time of Contempt from my queue for the next read.

I have read that series. Please start with the 2 short story collections - Sword of Truth and Last Wish if you have not already read them. They set the stage and start the story

#25440 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:44 PM

View PostAndorion, on 02 November 2019 - 02:22 AM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 01 November 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

I have read that series. Please start with the 2 short story collections - Sword of Destiny and Last Wish if you have not already read them. They set the stage and start the story

Edited for obvious reasons, Ando :p

But also this. Time of Contempt makes no sense without the short stories and it's still a mystery to me why they market it as book 1.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users