• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#25441 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:19 AM

Finished Reincarnated as a Vending Machine3 and moved onto SukaSuka 1.

Things are also getting interesting in Black Sun Rising. Edgy Boi Tarrant giving us all the edge.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#25442 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostPuck, on 02 November 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 02 November 2019 - 02:22 AM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 01 November 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

Finished Warriors of the Altaii. It was ok. He developed a lot as an author between finishing WotA and writing EotW. The Witcher trailers looked so good that I picked The Time of Contempt from my queue for the next read.

I have read that series. Please start with the 2 short story collections - Sword of Destiny and Last Wish if you have not already read them. They set the stage and start the story

Edited for obvious reasons, Ando :p

But also this. Time of Contempt makes no sense without the short stories and it's still a mystery to me why they market it as book 1.

Thank you both for the heads up. I have read both books already. Just dipping back into the series now.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#25443 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

I read Ilario, by Mary Gentle. It's an alternate history companion story in the same world as Ash: A Secret History, but the two don't overlap significantly.

The story centers on Ilario, who wants desperately to be an artist in the newly developing styles that Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo best exemplified. Ilario is also a hermaphrodite and on the lam from a royal court in a kingdom that Spain eventually encompassed.

I believe that this is one of the best works of character development that I've ever read. The characters are super well developed and the story makes sense. However, the story is weirdly low stakes after reading Ash and I'm wondering why Gentle felt compelled to tell this family + royal intrigue over great distances story.

The hermaphrodite part of Ilario is a built in feature of the story and Gentle handles the in-between nature of Ilario with lovely style. It's a little bit of a disappointment in that the story doesn't go go go like Ash does or like Miles Cameron's Traitor Son series because the respect for history, context, people, food, art etc is absolutely superb.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#25444 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Finished Warriors of the Altaii. It was ok. He developed a lot as an author between finishing WotA and writing EotW. The Witcher trailers looked so good that I picked The Time of Contempt from my queue for the next read.

I have read that series. Please start with the 2 short story collections - Sword of Destiny and Last Wish if you have not already read them. They set the stage and start the story

But also this. Time of Contempt makes no sense without the short stories and it's still a mystery to me why they market it as book 1.

To be fair, they market "Blood of the Elves" as Book 1... lol

But yeah, "Sword of Destiny" is essential for understanding most things Witcher (including the games). Not to mention it's one of THE best short story collections EVER.

I've been reading "The Poppy War" by R. F. Kuang. It's yet another Asian-inspired fantasy series, and I'm getting a bunch of Jay Kristoff vibes with the whole "young girl discovers an ancient divine power" trope, but the setting was primarily a military academy, so it doesn't feel as awkward.

Not sure what to think yet, I'm about halfway through, but losing steam somewhat.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25445 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostMentalist, on 04 November 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

But yeah, "Sword of Destiny" is essential for understanding most things Witcher (including the games). Not to mention it's one of THE best short story collections EVER.

I've been reading "The Poppy War" by R. F. Kuang. It's yet another Asian-inspired fantasy series, and I'm getting a bunch of Jay Kristoff vibes with the whole "young girl discovers an ancient divine power" trope, but the setting was primarily a military academy, so it doesn't feel as awkward.

Not sure what to think yet, I'm about halfway through, but losing steam somewhat.

That was my experience with The Poppy War too. It lost it's steam when they left the academy and never really found it again.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25446 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

Can echo that with the Poppy War. I was loving it up to a point and then the protagonist for progressively more annoying and I couldn't get behind her in the same way.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25447 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

Reading An Echo of Things to Come and I find it slightly less interesting then the first book which was more confusing but had a lot more drive then the second one.

View PostMorgoth, on 05 November 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

That was my experience with The Poppy War too. It lost it's steam when they left the academy and never really found it again.

Same here the fantasy parts for the first half where pretty good, then it becomes a bit too much real world history/commentary for my taste at least when done in the way it is.

This post has been edited by Chance: 05 November 2019 - 03:39 PM

#25448 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

It took me longer than I anticipated but I finally polished off Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone this morning. The Craft Sequence continues to delight me with how interesting Gladstone makes magicial law. I've wanted to recommend this series to a couple friends, but I keep balking because I cannot for the life of me find a way to describe the series to another person without it sounding like it's going to be much more boring than it is.

"You see, humans and Gods went to war and the strongest human mages won. Now our pov character is a magical paralegal that is investigating the potential murder of a God, and trying to prove what happened in magical court. Yes, I know that sounds terrible, but it's actually really good... Trust me."

Next up is Saint's Blood by Dr Castell. Yay musketeers!

#25449 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

View PostMentalist, on 04 November 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 November 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Can echo that with the Poppy War. I was loving it up to a point and then the protagonist for progressively more annoying and I couldn't get behind her in the same way.

View PostChance, on 05 November 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

Reading An Echo of Things to Come and I find it slightly less interesting then the first book which was more confusing but had a lot more drive then the second one.

Same here the fantasy parts for the first half where pretty good, then it becomes a bit too much real world history/commentary for my taste at least when done in the way it is.

Got to Part III. The end of part II with the whole divination was all right, so I guess I'll find out today which way the rest goes.

#25450 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

View PostChance, on 05 November 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

The second half of this book is where all your melons will get baked. Caden's memories begin to come fast and furious and the whole thing just starts to sing as the revelations hit one after the other.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 November 2019 - 06:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25451 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:01 AM

Hmm, ok, so I finished The Poppy War it's... fine, with glimpses of maybe awesomeness to come?

Part 3 moves pretty briskly. There's a lot of shock value stuff here, which I'm not bothered by, but don't think it's particularly well-done either. The book definitely has tone problems.

regarding the plot, I didn't really feel the
Spoiler
payoff was earned. Even though we were building to the Phoenix this whole time, it still felt too Deus Ex Machina-y.

At the same time, I must admit that the prospect of having a whole bunch of divine avatars slugging it out causing untold destruction has the potential to be totally epic. Or it could end up being like The Born Queen and just cram a bunch of exciting showdowns into like 15 pages of nothing.

Basically, what I'm saying is, if I see see Book 2 at a discount, I will probably buy it.

Moving on, and continuing the divine-inflictied horrors theme, feels like a good time to read "The Dark Blood", the second Chronicles of the Long War book. So that'll be next.

#25452 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

Finished Sullivan's latest AGE OF DEATH and it was fantastic! LOTS of world building, pantheon of gods, and backstory/history of Elan in this one...it ends on a cliff-hanger but the next and final book in the series is done and kickstarts in Jan 2020, so apparently we can finish the series by Feb.

Got stuck deep into Shannon Chakraborty's CITY OF BRASS, which so far is quite wonderful!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25453 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

View PostJPK, on 05 November 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

Next up is Saint's Blood by Dr Castell. Yay musketeers!

Falcio and friends, getting into trouble again. Such a fun series.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#25454 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

Abyss said:

Currently still in Alex Verus 6 HIDDEN,....
good fun all the same.

And then on into bk 7, BURNED, which i Just Finished.

Solid, picked up some of the bits from veiled and escalated nicely. And i appreciate the status quo shift for so much of the cast.
On to bk 8, BOUND.

Verus is so fucked.

BOUND was all good. Fun finale.

On to bk 9, MARKED.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25455 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:32 AM

Finished The Burning White and along with that Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series
Very mixed feelings on this one. Anyone else read it?

#25456 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostAndorion, on 09 November 2019 - 03:32 AM, said:

I’m reading it at current BK pace so it will be a long time before I’m finished with this brick

#25457 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:46 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 09 November 2019 - 03:45 AM, said:

I'm reading it at current BK pace so it will be a long time before I'm finished with this brick

Yeah its pretty long. Took me over a week to finish

#25458 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostAndorion, on 09 November 2019 - 03:46 AM, said:

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 09 November 2019 - 03:45 AM, said:

I'm reading it at current BK pace so it will be a long time before I'm finished with this brick

Yeah its pretty long. Took me over a week to finish

A book took you over a week? :shock:
Must have been a real slog.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25459 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

Currently on Turtledoves How Few Remain which has been on my radar for at least a decade and it is a pretty nice alt-history war story.

Finished it a while ago and was the same.

Some parts where pretty good, some where not. Much more then that would be spoilers.

#25460 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:52 PM

I too had mixed feelings. I thought the top of tower stuff was honestly stupid. That crushed a chunk of my enthusiasm for the book.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users