• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#25381 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:48 AM

View PostAndorion, on 19 October 2019 - 02:09 AM, said:

Did anyone find Salem's Lot scary? To be honest I found the short stories Jerusalem's Lot and One For the Road far scarier.

Context probably helps. I had just moved out of home and was alone in the house on a dark, extremely cold night.

You can be damn sure I checked the locks and windows a dozen times before I went to bed and stayed under the covers all night. :o
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25382 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:52 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 October 2019 - 12:48 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 19 October 2019 - 02:09 AM, said:

Did anyone find Salem's Lot scary? To be honest I found the short stories Jerusalem's Lot and One For the Road far scarier.

Context probably helps. I had just moved out of home and was alone in the house on a dark, extremely cold night.

You can be damn sure I checked the locks and windows a dozen times before I went to bed and stayed under the covers all night. :o

IDK somehow vampires as King wrote them - out and blatant just don't convey terror for me anymore. I would argue Stoker's original was better because he was better at creating an atmosphere of horror.

And, Kostova's Historian was better because of the very slow gradual reveal and because how the terror was always lurking under the surface. It was always an implication that let your mind fill in the blanks.

#25383 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:26 AM

Just finished Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor which was great. I've seem some recos elsewhere on the forum that say this is the most accessible of her books, and on that basis I'm keen to try more.

The book is set in Lagos and the premise is what if first contact happened there. Apparently the book was provoked by District 9 and how that was handled. It's dark, funny in parts and evocative while being sparse in imagery. There are tonnes of different ideas and perspectives packed into this, but very much embedded in what I imagine the reality of Lagos is like. I think this is the first African SF book I've read, it read differently and the difference was good.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#25384 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:13 PM

View Postworry, on 19 October 2019 - 02:20 AM, said:

I bought Ninefox Gambit, I just didn't read it. That's gotta count for somethin!

I think I've got the whole trilogy, just a case of too many books too little time at this point.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#25385 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 19 October 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

Lawrence's Prince Of Fools. He has a real knack for writing characters I hate to love.

I plowed through this in under 18 hours. A fun travelogue, and I liked the bits that overlapped with JORG.

#25386 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:52 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 October 2019 - 01:04 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 18 October 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

Finished Gideon the Ninth. is it the next out of left field must-read? I dunno. It's not nearly as good as Library at Mount Char, which has been the recent gold standard for these things.

Well that's just coz y'all won't listen to my suggestions* so hardly anyone's bothered reading Ninefox Gambit.

*Okay this isn't actually true.

Ninefox Gambit was amazing! I loved that book. Dunno if it was you whom recommended it to me, but a great recommendation all the same.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25387 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:34 AM

Has anyone here read 10K Doors of January? I have yet to encounter a negative review of it
I already got the book, I have only read the opening 2 pages but the writing seems to be really good.

#25388 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

View PostCyphon, on 20 October 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

Just finished Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor which was great. ... I think this is the first African SF book I've read, it read differently and the difference was good.

Noted. Always into trying genre from a different country from the usual.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 20 October 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 19 October 2019 - 02:20 AM, said:

I bought Ninefox Gambit, I just didn't read it. That's gotta count for somethin!

I think I've got the whole trilogy, just a case of too many books too little time at this point.

Same same.

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 20 October 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 19 October 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

Lawrence's Prince Of Fools. He has a real knack for writing characters I hate to love.

I plowed through this in under 18 hours. A fun travelogue, and I liked the bits that overlapped with JORG.

I LOVED Red Queen's War. Just a great read bks 1-3. I liked the overlapp with Thorns but honestly found it to the the better series of the two.

View PostAndorion, on 22 October 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

Has anyone here read 10K Doors of January? I have yet to encounter a negative review of it
I already got the book, I have only read the opening 2 pages but the writing seems to be really good.

Haven't read it but am seeing a similar positive trend.

Currently still in Alex Verus 6 HIDDEN, depending on how it ends i may go straight to 7 or try one of the above. Or French's TRUE BASTARDS because Orcs On War Boars MC.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25389 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

The Girl in the Tower, sequel to The Bear and the Nightingale. I've got book three as well and then I may get round to The Secret Commonwealth!
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#25390 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 22 October 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

The Girl in the Tower, sequel to The Bear and the Nightingale. I've got book three as well and then I may get round to The Secret Commonwealth!

I got both of these books for my sister-in-law a while back and she's going to lend them to me. Glad to hear they are pleasing you!

Man, I won't get to Secret Commonwealth till X-mas time likely.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25391 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 22 October 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

I got both of these books for my sister-in-law a while back and she's going to lend them to me. Glad to hear they are pleasing you!

Man, I won't get to Secret Commonwealth till X-mas time likely.

You're in for a treat, they're lovely!

I'm in two minds whether to leave it for Christmas actually. It's a massive hardback to carry around and I've got nearly two weeks off for Christmas, so could just read it at home at my leisure! We'll see if I last that long though.... it's debatable!

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#25392 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:08 AM

Islington's The Shadow Of What Was Lost while I wait for Red Queen's War book 2 to arrive.

EDIT: I can't pinpoint exactly why, but I'm getting real WoT vibes from this (only 15 pages in). Good vibes (though I haven't read any WoT in like 15+ years).

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 23 October 2019 - 01:29 AM

#25393 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:58 AM

I finished The Seven last night and with that, Peter Newman's Vagrant Trilogy.

I have to say, I really really like this trilogy and its going to be one of my favourites for many years to come.

The first book is superb.

The second is good, but could be better.

The third is excellent, a dual toned novel that calls back to the first and yet also raises its own standard.

I think Newman is often overlooked and he deserves a lot more credit than he gets.

#25394 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:39 AM

Wrapped up book 6 of "Godsdoom-2". Sounds like this is actually end-game. Which is impressive.

350 pages to go in Book 7. Is this actually the last one? I'll need to check afterwards
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25395 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:29 AM

View PostMentalist, on 23 October 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

Wrapped up book 6 of "Godsdoom-2". Sounds like this is actually end-game. Which is impressive.

350 pages to go in Book 7. Is this actually the last one? I'll need to check afterwards

I remain so mad that there's no English translations available. Even a fan done over would satisfy what I need after reading Godsdoom.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#25396 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:57 AM

I feel like I'm going to have to give book 2 of Newman's grill a go at some point. One left me a little underwhelmed, but it's gotten nothing but praise here since

#25397 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:06 AM

Several chapters into The Shining. Now this I like. Superb atmosphere creation.

#25398 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

Kickstart backers of the latest of Michael J. Sullivan's First Empire series AGE OF DEATH (Book 5) got their ebooks yesterday, so I plugged that into my kindle this morning and jumped right in! The Authors Note says that we will also be getting AGE OF EMPYRE in Feb. I also noticed that there is a forthcoming books section for the "bridging series" between First Empire and Riyria Revelations called "The Rise & The Fall", and two of the books already have titles ARROW OF DEATH, and FAIRLANE, with book 3 in that series Untiled.

Anyways, I'm only 2 chapters in, but I'm already enjoying!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25399 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 October 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

Islington's The Shadow Of What Was Lost while I wait for Red Queen's War book 2 to arrive.

EDIT: I can't pinpoint exactly why, but I'm getting real WoT vibes from this (only 15 pages in). Good vibes (though I haven't read any WoT in like 15+ years).

This is so good! Constant "oh wow!"s and "no way!"s.

#25400 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 25 October 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 October 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

This is so good! Constant "oh wow!"s and "no way!"s.

Oh boy, if you like the first book, you're going to LOVE the second. Such a great series. Very WOT-like but without the extra fluff. Ilsington does a great job at subverting expectations and replacing them with even more complex and interesting revelations.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users