#26321 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 June 2020 - 01:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 June 2020 - 06:55 AM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 16 June 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 16 June 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

how cool it would be if a toucher was an oboron.

I think you just made my brain explode a little! :o

I mean they do different things so I dunno. Kepler is effectively immortal if they can escape being killed in whatever body they're in at the time. This is different to Harry August and his pals.

Sure, but imagine a "Toucher" living, say, a couple hundred years through however many thousands of bodies, then they're killed and start over again. But now they can do it in an entirely new set of bodies.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#26322 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:22 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 17 June 2020 - 01:03 PM, said:

I mean they do different things so I dunno. Kepler is effectively immortal if they can escape being killed in whatever body they're in at the time. This is different to Harry August and his pals.

Sure, but imagine a "Toucher" living, say, a couple hundred years through however many thousands of bodies, then they're killed and start over again. But now they can do it in an entirely new set of bodies.

I mean I'd read the HECK out of that!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26323 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

MOTHERFUCKING CAINE

#26324 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:21 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 17 June 2020 - 01:03 PM, said:

I always felt like Oubourans and Touchers would be natural enemies.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26325 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:03 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 June 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

I’m tired of all things Malazan at this point. Close to making a clean and complete break.

Fuck Expanse 6. This shit is boring as fuck.

Finally Lightbringer after 450 pgs has picked up to the level of fun as the rest but fuck me this has been a painfully slow 5 months of my life to get to it. On pg 636

Blood and Bone, Babylon’s Ashes, The Burning White—all boring books IMO. Try something shorter and faster like Red Rising.

#26326 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:58 AM

View PostAndorion, on 17 June 2020 - 01:48 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 17 June 2020 - 01:45 AM, said:

Well into bk 3 of Campbell's LOST FLEET BEYOND series.
Will pause that series after this for Max Brooke's Bigfoot book that just landed.

Devolution! Hyped for that one.

Halfway almost.... it's good. Not WWZ level great, smaller story, smaller cast, but attention holding.

....part of me really wants to get back to LOST FLEET tho.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26327 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:44 AM

You should read more Adrian Tchaikovsky, the discerning man's Brandon Sanderson.

Anyway speaking of Claire North I almost forgot to say that I started reading The Pursuit of William Abbey, which perhaps doesn't say good things about it- but I think my perception is affected by starting it immediately after finishing a re-read of Who Fears Death and, no-matter how well-intentioned, it felt uncomfortable and a little false reading its depiction of Africa, African culture and magic written by a white Englishwoman that soon after that book.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26328 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:58 PM

Finished The Bonehunters Reread.

On a second read it remains a well written fantasy book but too many of the story lines and character actions frustrate me and feel disappointing because none of the villains get their comeuppance and too many of the motivations of the characters are held in secret.

Return of the Crimson Guard is up next.

In the meantime I started the seventh and hopefully last Witcher book, Lady of the Lake, by Andrzej Sapkowski.

The seventh book continues the design of telling the story of the series events through the lens of a future scholar or a secondary set of characters. Two new characters who dream and analyse the events of the past in which Geralt and co. search for Ciri.

It's so fucking annoying that Sapkowski can't just tell the story straight instead of doing all these cute storytelling tricks. If I didn't like the videogames so much I wouldn't bother.

#26329 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

Finished up Xenos the first Eisenhorn 40k novel which I've had for a long time, just the right kind of action and energy in the novel for me to get out of a reading lull I think. At least I'm looking forward to starting the next one in a day or two.

Also been trying to get through The Deathless by Peter Newman but not got much done there for a week or so...

This post has been edited by Chance: 21 June 2020 - 10:08 AM

#26330 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:30 AM

If you've read them how does Deathless compare to Newman's Vagrant trilogy?

#26331 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:39 PM

God Apt you're picking the easy rides at the moment.

Returned to REDEMPTION ALLEY which in n.3 in the Jill Kismet series. The Malaz reread break was a help. This book is clipping along nicely and benefits from the omission of a new of the main supporting characters to change things up. I am enjoying this series and can see why it was recommended as a good (complete) urban fantasy series to read.

On the earbook front, nearing the end of ABBADON's GATE in the expanse series. While I like the real world politik the book focuses on, it get real irritating really quickly when the alien protagonist isnt driving things. I understand the series takes a dip at some point, where about is that?

Not sure what to go for on earbook next, but I might have to reevaluate going straight for the next expanse book to avoid more of the same.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 21 June 2020 - 12:44 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26332 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:16 PM

Finished Feast of Souls by C.S. Friedman. Kind of an unexpected ending. I enjoyed it and will most likely continue with the trilogy.

#26333 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:59 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 June 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

If you've read them how does Deathless compare to Newman's Vagrant trilogy?

Its equally weird lots of strange creatures around, but doesn't have the compelling narrative of nameless swordsman and goat on adventure. Not that far into it but even in its weirdness it is more normal fantasy, nobles plotting and unlikely heroes. The main peoples culture however seems fairly repugnant so it gets hard to emphasis with some of the main characters.

This post has been edited by Chance: 21 June 2020 - 07:59 PM

#26334 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:52 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 20 June 2020 - 07:44 AM, said:

Anyway speaking of Claire North I almost forgot to say that I started reading The Pursuit of William Abbey, which perhaps doesn't say good things about it- but I think my perception is affected by starting it immediately after finishing a re-read of Who Fears Death and, no-matter how well-intentioned, it felt uncomfortable and a little false reading its depiction of Africa, African culture and magic written by a white Englishwoman that soon after that book.

To be fair to William Abbey (or the rest of his book, that is), the how/where/why of his curse is almost entirely inconsequential to the rest of the book. (As of 2/3 through the book, anyway.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#26335 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:51 PM

The reread thread for Return of the Crimson Guard is now live.

https://forum.malaza...-crimson-guard/

Remember, every time you skip a book in the forum re-read, Terry Goodkind gets another book contract.

#26336 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:20 PM

Back into Kate Elliot's THE BURNING STONE (which I had to return to the library a SECOND time because I didn't get enough time to get through it before COVID was hitting and I thought I needed to return it). So I bought it on Kindle instead.

I find that if I give the Crown of Stars books a bit of a rest in between reading them, then I don't mind some of their long-windedness...but I also know that this volume blows open the world more and there are like 6 plot lines going on at once, so I'm in for it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26337 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:32 PM

So I finished A Conspiracy of Truths.

Highly recommended if you want a small-scale, politics and intrigue heavy book.

#26338 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:00 PM

View PostAndorion, on 23 June 2020 - 01:32 PM, said:

So I finished A Conspiracy of Truths.

Highly recommended if you want a small-scale, politics and intrigue heavy book.

I have that on my kindle and the sequel (A CHOIR OF LIES), got both on a sale. Glad to hear it's good.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26339 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Finished Hereticus by Dan Abnett, the third book in his Eisenhorn series. It was great!

#26340 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:55 AM

View PostT77, on 23 June 2020 - 03:03 PM, said:

Finished Hereticus by Dan Abnett, the third book in his Eisenhorn series. It was great!

Just finished it myself and started Ravenor directly, Abnett is playing in a different league from the rest of the 40k writers which I can only tolerate in small doses.

This post has been edited by Chance: 25 June 2020 - 04:56 AM

Share this topic:

• 1470 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users