• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24041 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

If Silk had been Mara's spymaster she would have won in the first book. Belgarion only needed ten because Belgarath was in charge and too busy getting drunk and banging wolf-ladies.

Arakasi retires because he got stabbed in the head and would be too recognisable. The title with marriage was just a nice way to reward/dump his scarred ass.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24042 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

Re LOW TOWN / STRAIGHT RAZOR CURE...

View PostMacros, on 19 February 2019 - 05:07 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 February 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

So i enjoyed the hell out of that book. It moved well, had a fun anti-hero, good setting, not wildly original but very well realized.
The 'big twist' was obvious, even predictable, but nicely done and logical.

I would have grabbed, immediately, the second and third earbooks for immediate consumption.

...Except that they don't exist. Only the first book got the earbook.

I AM SO VERY VERY PISSED.

Man up and dead tree it or ebook them.. so very worthwhile

I will ebook, but it's going to take ages to finish them, and i wanted to jump right in and enjoy.

Dead tree... meh... my dead tree efforts are more likely to sprout roots and leaves before i finish them lately.

#24043 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 February 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

Arakasi retires because he got stabbed in the head and would be too recognisable. The title with marriage was just a nice way to reward/dump his scarred ass.

Nah that gets brought up as a possibility after the stabbing but ultimately isn't a factor in why he resigns. That's because he no longer feels either ruthless enough or focused enough to keep his agents safe (or, unspoken but obvious from earlier in the book, cull them when necessary).

Silk would have gotten everyone killed coz, despite his badassery, he has a heart from the start.

Also I was just reading how Feist fucked up the continuity of how these books ended in one of the later mainseries books and then tried to handwave it together with a series of excuses that made the ending of this series in hindsight really depressing.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 19 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24044 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:02 AM

View PostZetubal, on 19 February 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

It's nice to read that I wasn't the only person to dislike She is the Darkness here. I am curious though: IIRC there were some people here who argued that BC gets progressively better with every entry. Anyone care to comment what's supposed to be good (or even great) about She is the Darkness?

Reaching here but I thought:
  • It was, at least, better than Bleak Seasons (we get some new events this time instead of a rehash)
  • Catcher was fairy cool
  • The book had two passable plot twists in terms of Blade's 'treachery' and Sahra's fake death

Still was pretty crap, mind you. Here are my notes from way back in 2014 (yeah I'm weird and keep little notes and ratings for my reads :D )

Murgen, the narrator, is a whiny, self-absorbed, lazy jerk whose 'little shit' barbs grow old. All he does is feel scared, avoid fighting, sit at home, eat, sleep, bitch, call One Eye and everyone else names, secretly send a young Black Company 'brother' off 1000s of kms to send an idiotic personal message to his wife, ride Smoke, dream and whine about his Sahrie. There are *huge* lulls in the plot in between brief bouts of action. Relatively little happens for 100s of pages at times. The 'engineered' (snicker!) bamboo guns that can't miss at 14 km (?) are just plain nonsense too. A bunch of villains are captured and kept tied up instead of being offed so that they can conveniently cause trouble down the line. This is partly explained but is still dumb. And finally, the big bad villain Longshadow is a complete loser. All in all, it was a bit of a snoozefest.

#24045 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 14 February 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostCyphon, on 14 February 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

Came back to under the Pendulum Sun which is shaping up nicely.

Haven't got to Queen Mab as yet but the questions about what the hell is going on nicely. While it's a book 'about' the Fae I liked the reference to Enochian... I suspect some nice foreboding there.

Just finished the other night. It definitely took a couple of turns I was not expecting! Very good.

Agreed! Very good book but I think it would not be to everyone's taste. The gothic, fae, theology combination works well and the imagery and imagination are great. The pace can be a bit meandering at times and it felt heavy on the main protagonist's musing.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#24046 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

Finished Cold Iron by Miles Cameron. It has a few things I really don't care for in books, a lot of training and duels. And while I don't like a lot of action in books and movies, I get bored, this was rather slow going. It was also a bit long and probably should have been edited down. With all that going against it, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to book 2 in September.

#24047 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 20 February 2019 - 05:02 AM, said:

It's nice to read that I wasn't the only person to dislike She is the Darkness here. I am curious though: IIRC there were some people here who argued that BC gets progressively better with every entry. Anyone care to comment what's supposed to be good (or even great) about She is the Darkness?

• It was, at least, better than Bleak Seasons (we get some new events this time instead of a rehash)
  • Catcher was fairy cool
  • The book had two passable plot twists in terms of Blade's 'treachery' and Sahra's fake death

Still was pretty crap, mind you. Here are my notes from way back in 2014 (yeah I'm weird and keep little notes and ratings for my reads :D )

Murgen, the narrator, is a whiny, self-absorbed, lazy jerk whose 'little shit' barbs grow old. All he does is feel scared, avoid fighting, sit at home, eat, sleep, bitch, call One Eye and everyone else names, secretly send a young Black Company 'brother' off 1000s of kms to send an idiotic personal message to his wife, ride Smoke, dream and whine about his Sahrie. There are *huge* lulls in the plot in between brief bouts of action. Relatively little happens for 100s of pages at times. The 'engineered' (snicker!) bamboo guns that can't miss at 14 km (?) are just plain nonsense too. A bunch of villains are captured and kept tied up instead of being offed so that they can conveniently cause trouble down the line. This is partly explained but is still dumb. And finally, the big bad villain Longshadow is a complete loser. All in all, it was a bit of a snoozefest.

I agree with 2014 you. The redundant storyline we had already read once from a far more interesting pov, the reptition, the ineffective badguys, the sitting around waiting for something to actually happen. Meh.

I pushed on thru WATER SLEEPS. ended up skimming large chunks and bailing on the series.

And it's always bothered me because so many here and elsewhere who i usually agree with love the Black Company series end to end. But i just figure it's because i'm smarter more discerning deviant inadvertantly damaged their brains with invasive nanites drunk easily bored.

#24048 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 20 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

I remember She Is the Darkness being one of my favorites, but it's been long enough that I couldn't tell you why. Water Sleeps was one of the hardest to get through, I think partly because it's such a change of pace, but also it's just a sloooow book. The concept is great, though. And it's worth it because Soldiers Live wraps the series up perfectly.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 20 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24049 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 February 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 19 February 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

Nah that gets brought up as a possibility after the stabbing but ultimately isn't a factor in why he resigns. That's because he no longer feels either ruthless enough or focused enough to keep his agents safe (or, unspoken but obvious from earlier in the book, cull them when necessary).

Silk would have gotten everyone killed coz, despite his badassery, he has a heart from the start.

Also I was just reading how Feist fucked up the continuity of how these books ended in one of the later mainseries books and then tried to handwave it together with a series of excuses that made the ending of this series in hindsight really depressing.

There were no later books.
Everything stopped at the end of Rage of a Demon King.

There were no more books

Shut up

#24050 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:37 AM

moved onto part 2 of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe". hmm, I feel there is definitely a mafia game set up idea here somewhere. Also, will never look at lab mice the same way again.

In "The Terror", just got to a murder most foul... and I'm not sure I buy that plot development.

It's a powerful book, but also an arduous one.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24051 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

In She Is The Darkness, I liked the thugee cult story deepening, the movement of Morgen from unstuck in time to being more in sync with everyone else, and the dumbass shit the bad guys do because they're frantic about the events of the next book.

It works for me because much of the atmosphere is similar to my south Asian heritage.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24052 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

OK, I'll bite. Please explain. Or provide link.

View PostMacros, on 21 February 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

There were no later books.Everything stopped at the end of Rage of a Demon King. There were no more books. Shut up

Wow, that sting really hasn't faded with time has it?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#24053 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:07 PM

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 20 February 2019 - 05:02 AM, said:

• Catcher was fairy cool

Glad that me and 2014 you agree for the most part :p Not sure if I share your views on what's positive about She is the Darkness, though.
For one thing, I actually liked Bleak Seasons much better, simply by virtue of Murgen being more central to the story, more meaningful events and relations, as well as actual credible emotions on display. Sure, a gimmicky book with an unfocused plot...But still a better entry than She is the Darkness.
As for Catcher, I am fairly sure that she has no more than 2 pages of dialogue throughout the entire novel. Instead, we occasionally see Murgen dream-creeping on her when she does cliché villain stuff, and there're a couple of times when she's being chased. Not really what I'd call cool. Catcher in the first BC novel was cool...
While I did like the twists, I felt that their execution was a little wonky. As mentioned before, the foreshadowing about Blade being a double agent was fairly heavy-handed. I mean, he doesn't fight any of the important characters head on, instead focuses on religious fanatics that would've been a pain in the neck for Croaker&Co. later on, he has no reason to turn on the main characters and his friends - even dumb ol Murgen notices that this shit doesn't add up. As far Sahra...while that came out of nowhere, it really made Croaker and One Eye seem like total dickwads for not telling Murgen. And, considering that they went through the effort of hiding this twist, it feels really random and arbitrary when they just give in and are like "Yo Murgen, enough of your moping around - go watch the death of your wife. You might be in for a surprise". Like, why hide the fact when you're just gonna tell Murgen later anyway and for no specific reason...?

View Postamphibian, on 21 February 2019 - 02:06 AM, said:

In She Is The Darkness, I liked the thugee cult story deepening, the movement of Morgen from unstuck in time to being more in sync with everyone else, and the dumbass shit the bad guys do because they're frantic about the events of the next book.

It works for me because much of the atmosphere is similar to my south Asian heritage.

Um, not sure if we're talking about the same book but in She is the Darkness the Deceivers are already reduced to like a handful of guys, most of whom are killed within the first 200 pages without a single line of dialogue. The only noteworthy remaining deceiver, Narayan Singh, also doesn't talk about Deceiver stuff but has a few lines worth of "Ohmygawd we're screwed, Kina save us", gets captured, escapes, and picks up the Daughter...but all of that happens without any dialogue by/about him. I think it's not an exaggeration to say the this book teaches nothing new about their cult.

#24054 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:53 PM

While on vacation I read EATERS OF THE DEAD by Michael Crichton (the book THE 13th WARRIOR is based on), and really enjoyed it. Part Arabic travelogue, part Viking exploration, part historical mystery, and part Beowulf. Just a solid little read.

Oh, and for the Black Library crew, this Friday sees the release of a full book (there were short stories) with a brand new female Commissar, Severina Raine...I like me some Astra Militarum regiments!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24055 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 21 February 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Seconded/curious.

View PostMacros, on 21 February 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

There were no later books.Everything stopped at the end of Rage of a Demon King. There were no more books. Shut up

Wow, that sting really hasn't faded with time has it?

It never does.

View PostZetubal, on 21 February 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

...She is the Darkness. .... I think it's not an exaggeration to say the this book teaches nothing new about their cult.

About anything, really. the hints are there but it never crystallises.

#24056 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

Reading a new book - The Gutter Prayer. So far its really good.

Weird god haunted city policed by enchanted tallow men made of wax and tallow by alchemists, PoV is an ex-noble thief and a gradually petrifying stone man - its quite entertaining.

#24057 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 February 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 21 February 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Seconded/curious.

I read about it at tv tropes under the 'retcon' entry. Looking at it again I may have overestimated how much it does that but basically House Lujan lasts no time at all before being wiped out whereas because Feist apparently forgot she exists Kasuma pretty much must have died young.

View PostAndorion, on 21 February 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

Reading a new book - The Gutter Prayer. So far its really good.

Weird god haunted city policed by enchanted tallow men made of wax and tallow by alchemists, PoV is an ex-noble thief and a gradually petrifying stone man - its quite entertaining.

And the flesh-eating ghoul, don't forget him.

I just finished this today and indeed, really good. Only minor thing I'd say is that at times it could do with things maybe taking a touch longer at certain times to set things up, but minor thing.

Now really cracking into Foundryside, boy can RJB write an action scene.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24058 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:03 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

While on vacation I read EATERS OF THE DEAD by Michael Crichton (the book THE 13th WARRIOR is based on), and really enjoyed it. Part Arabic travelogue, part Viking exploration, part historical mystery, and part Beowulf. Just a solid little read.

Oh, and for the Black Library crew, this Friday sees the release of a full book (there were short stories) with a brand new female Commissar, Severina Raine...I like me some Astra Militarum regiments!

Who's authoring? are we to expect something as wonderfully entertaining as Caine, or as Cool and ruthless as Gaunt?

#24059 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

Reading Altered Carbon for the first time, about a quarter of the way through, I can see why this is so well regarded and why it was picked up by Netflix too.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#24060 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

View PostMacros, on 22 February 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 February 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

Who's authoring? are we to expect something as wonderfully entertaining as Caine, or as Cool and ruthless as Gaunt?

Rachel Harrison, I know nothing about her as an author.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users