• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24081 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:29 AM

I might get around to Kellanved's Reach eventually, but the nosedive in quality with Deadhouse Landing pretty much put me off of Path to Ascendancy. The first two were way, way too rushed in pace and suffered horribly for it.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#24082 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 27 February 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

I might get around to Kellanved's Reach eventually, but the nosedive in quality with Deadhouse Landing pretty much put me off of Path to Ascendancy. The first two were way, way too rushed in pace and suffered horribly for it.

Hail Hydra to you too, mister happy!

:)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24083 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 February 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

Right?

DL was excellent.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24084 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

Yeah but it was quite popular so Maark had to hate it... :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24085 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

Finished "The Terror" a few nights back. Yeah, that book is exhausting. It came together at the end, though I'm not sure I quite buy how irrational the "villain" ends up becoming.

Not sure what to read at home next. Looking at the bunch of books I've had in the TRP for years now, I'm leaning towards "Shantaram"

In commute, finished part 2 of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe". I have quite enjoyed the Master of the Universe. The "twist" towards the end was... eeeh? Not sure where this is all going so far in Part III
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24086 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:38 PM

12% into Assassin's fate

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 27 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#24087 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:46 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 24 February 2019 - 02:35 AM, said:

Reread Cook's Tyranny of the Night. On to Sullivan's The Crown Tower.

Sullivan's The Rose and The Thorn.

Zuboff has taken a back seat for the past two weeks due to work.

#24088 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:12 AM

I miss High House Hydra.

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 February 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

Right?

DL was excellent.

It was far from it.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 February 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

Yeah but it was quite popular so Maark had to hate it... :)

The popularity argument is stupid and does you a disservice. Being popular couldn't save it from being badly paced, under-detailed and overall not particularly good. At best it was a 6/10, and considering the events it describes, I was expecting more.

See also: A Walk in Shadow delayed whilst this is lauded and celebrated.

#24089 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

Finished Pratchett's EQUAL RITES. I'm not sure why I skipped this when I initially started the Discworld Witches books (I started with WYRD SISTERS instead) and since I've read the rest of the Witches books (minus CARPE JUGULUM which I've not gotten to yet) it was a real treat to read the first book with Granny in it...and bonus that I recently finished I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT, which has a cameo by the other protagonist of ER in Eskarina Smith. Anyways, only one Witches book left, then I have the complete Industrial books to read, ALL of Rincewind, and the last 3 Watch books which I'd not yet read...and lastly, The Shepherd's Crown which I'm saving for last. Not because it will be his best by a long shot, but because it was his last and that feels like the right one to read last, for me.

I've loved the movie since I saw it in theatres way back in my youth, but I've NEVER read JURASSIC PARK by Michael Crichton (and nabbed both it and LOST WORLD on a kindle sale a few months back), so I've started into that and I'm surprised at how much is missing from the movie from the opening. You don't even get to Alan Grant in the Badlands for 10%, and it turns out that the opening to the film version of THE LOST WORLD (with the family on the beach, and the little girl being attacked by Compy's on Isla Nublar), is stolen from the opening of JP actually and takes place on mainland Costa Rica, not on one of the JP /InGen islands at all. So that's interesting, since a whole portion of the JP movies was about not letting the Dino's escape the island, and the final shot of the pterosaurs leaving it...in the JP book it appears that somehow at least Compy's made it to the mainland before the Park is even visited. Anyways, as per usual with Crichton, it's a blast so far. Very much enjoying!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24090 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 February 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

...I've loved the movie since I saw it in theatres way back in my youth, but I've NEVER read JURASSIC PARK by Michael Crichton (and nabbed both it and LOST WORLD on a kindle sale a few months back), so I've started into that and I'm surprised at how much is missing from the movie from the opening. You don't even get to Alan Grant in the Badlands for 10%, and it turns out that the opening to the film version of THE LOST WORLD (with the family on the beach, and the little girl being attacked by Compy's on Isla Nublar), is stolen from the opening of JP actually and takes place on mainland Costa Rica, not on one of the JP /InGen islands at all. So that's interesting, since a whole portion of the JP movies was about not letting the Dino's escape the island, and the final shot of the pterosaurs leaving it...in the JP book it appears that somehow at least Compy's made it to the mainland before the Park is even visited. Anyways, as per usual with Crichton, it's a blast so far. Very much enjoying!

I think you'll be surprised by how different the book is from the movie, but also how much of the book made it into the later movies.

It's also one of those rare occasions where both versions - book and film - stand very solidly on their own.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24091 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:41 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 February 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 February 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

...I've loved the movie since I saw it in theatres way back in my youth, but I've NEVER read JURASSIC PARK by Michael Crichton (and nabbed both it and LOST WORLD on a kindle sale a few months back), so I've started into that and I'm surprised at how much is missing from the movie from the opening. You don't even get to Alan Grant in the Badlands for 10%, and it turns out that the opening to the film version of THE LOST WORLD (with the family on the beach, and the little girl being attacked by Compy's on Isla Nublar), is stolen from the opening of JP actually and takes place on mainland Costa Rica, not on one of the JP /InGen islands at all. So that's interesting, since a whole portion of the JP movies was about not letting the Dino's escape the island, and the final shot of the pterosaurs leaving it...in the JP book it appears that somehow at least Compy's made it to the mainland before the Park is even visited. Anyways, as per usual with Crichton, it's a blast so far. Very much enjoying!

I think you'll be surprised by how different the book is from the movie, but also how much of the book made it into the later movies.

It's also one of those rare occasions where both versions - book and film - stand very solidly on their own.

So far that's been my impression indeed, and it makes it exciting that there are differences so that I can enjoy this medium without feeling like "I'm just reading the movie"

I got the same experience with EATERS OF THE DEAD (the book) VS THE 13th WARRIOR (the film), both good but in very different ways for very different reasons.

#24092 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 February 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Agreed, I saw the film first but also ended up really enjoying the book when I read it years later. The takeaway for me as I recall was the feeling they cast the late great Richard Attenborough as a likeability win, because Hammond's much more of a dick in the book.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#24093 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:07 PM

Maark how often is it that you enjoy reading a book? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just curious. I worry as I get older that I may lose some of the joy I find in reading.

#24094 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:27 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 February 2019 - 12:29 AM, said:

Now starting Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons, a much-hyped recent debut.

Getting towards the end of this and it's really very good. Some of the plotting is contrived in ways that would normally bother me but it's so engaging I'm not fussed. A chap over on the aSoIaF boards described it as a mix of Locke Lamora, Name of the Wind, Malazan and Chronicles of Amber and it's kinda hard to put it better than that (maybe chuck in a slice of Abercrombie as well). Really confident debut.

Also got a couple of great baddies in it. One character in particular, though their part is not that huge so far, I think will go down really well with the denizens of this board.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24095 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:25 AM

Finished part 3 of the Guide. Not as good, tbh
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24096 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 28 February 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

Maark how often is it that you enjoy reading a book? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just curious. I worry as I get older that I may lose some of the joy I find in reading.

I find it harder in recent days but that's primarily disillusionment with what's coming out from big publishers and what they seem to think readers want (which is by and large analacritous drivel to my mind). The general feeling of disgust has bled over into my reading, and I've not completed a book in over six months.

We can see this trend in how Kharkanas got delayed whilst for some bizarre reason Path to Ascendancy has praises sung from every which way when it's rushed, underdeveloped, and for a Malazan book, entirely subpar.

I've been plugging away bit by bit at Kate Elliott's 'In The Ruins' which is restoring my faith somewhat (beautiful pacing, never rushes, well written), but you'd better buckle up for me to be cranky if this reprehensible trend in contemporary releases continues.

#24097 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

Karkanhas got delayed because they weren't selling.
Surprising as you may find this, not everyone likes the same thing. Publishers are businesses, they want stuff that sells. Painful slogs are not fun for a lot of people, thus they do not sell.
I am still only 10/15% into fall of light. I've lost patience with Erikson's work

#24098 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

Kharkanas are not "fun" books to read. It's very much something I have to be in the mood for, and I think I only persisted with them because of pre-established love of the Malazan series. I cannot imagine many people picking Forge up without its predecessors and thinking "Wow, what a ride" - whereas although the first Path of Ascendancy didn't grab me and I've yet to go back to it and give it a second chance, it's a much pacier and lighter entry into the world. Erikson and the more pompous end of his fanbase can sit and moan about the "higher literature" not being appreciated or whatever else but the fact remains for a lot of people it didn't work - sitting around moaning about how people don't get it or want the "wrong" thing won't change it.

I really dislike the disdain for "easier", "less demanding" books and for the people who seek them. At the end of the day reading is something most people do to relax - there is not a single thing relaxing about the Kharkanas books. It's not that these people are bad, stupider, "less ready" (my word, do I hate that phrase) people, it's just not their jam.

I re-read a lot when I want to read but not concentrate hard, it's a comfort thing. I've no time at all for the attitude that every story committed to paper has to be an envelope-pushing philosophical discourse on everything it is to be human. Sometimes I want that, sometimes however I just want fun.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 01 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#24099 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:52 AM

Exactly TRB. I'm currently not reading much since the baby was born but I love it so much. So I'm rereading Harry Potter. It's light, fun and not too heavy or challenging which is exactly what I need at the moment.

Acting like you're more intellectual than everyone cos you enjoyed a book that was really dense and whatever else just makes you sound like a bit of a pretentious douche.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24100 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

Agreed! HP is on my go-to list when I want something to re-read :) in fact, once I've finished the dinosaur book (which is fun but really information heavy) that sort of thing is probably exactly what I will then reach for to give my brain a rest!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users