Malazan Empire: D&D, WotC, Hasbro, OGL, TTRGSs, orcs, goblins, gnolls, nerds... - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D&D, WotC, Hasbro, OGL, TTRGSs, orcs, goblins, gnolls, nerds... stabby stabby

#81 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:22 PM

View PostMacros, on 11 April 2023 - 08:17 PM, said:

not really sure where to ask, but you nerds seem to be talking DnD here.
so I've been signed up to do my first campaign (outside of BG or IWD) of actual DnD. Have the rule book in PDF on phone and on laptop, but would like the book in my hand as well. It's expensive, I remember getting the rule book free with BG. Now its £30 for a hardback, and all second hand ones are half that, but postage bring it back up to new value. Nothing on WoB, and amazon second (sorry guys) is the half price double postage deal.

Any other sources for UK to get second hand or cheap copies of the book? can only find hardback online as well

Perhaps you could try Ebay? I know the postage issue was a concern but the prices I see there are £25.00-£10.00. Starter set is at £12.00 and players handbook at £17.30...

Edit: These are prices for pre-owned copies

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 12 April 2023 - 09:23 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#82 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:32 PM

View PostMacros, on 11 April 2023 - 08:17 PM, said:

not really sure where to ask, but you nerds seem to be talking DnD here.
so I've been signed up to do my first campaign (outside of BG or IWD) of actual DnD. Have the rule book in PDF on phone and on laptop, but would like the book in my hand as well. It's expensive, I remember getting the rule book free with BG. Now its £30 for a hardback, and all second hand ones are half that, but postage bring it back up to new value. Nothing on WoB, and amazon second (sorry guys) is the half price double postage deal.

Any other sources for UK to get second hand or cheap copies of the book? can only find hardback online as well

So long as it's only for personal use (and no special terms apply) it seems you should probably be able to legally print it yourself from the pdf and bind it in a hardback book (or have it printed or bound for you):

Copyright law has been changed to allow you to make personal copies of media (ebooks, digital music or video files etc) you have bought, for private purposes such as format shifting or backup [...]

Consumers (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Though that doesn't specifically address whether physical copies count....

#83 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 13 April 2023 - 01:18 AM

I often see them on Facebook Marketplace for fairly cheap.

#84 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 April 2023 - 06:24 AM

So the new LotR stuff coming out, it's still using the 5e ruleset, just modified a bit?

#85 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 April 2023 - 07:49 AM

What's the name of the book Macros?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#86 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:27 AM

I dunno, saw LotR finally coming to DnD, figured the nerds would know more

#87 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:35 AM

View PostMacros, on 14 April 2023 - 10:27 AM, said:

It's 5e compatible, but I couldn't see anything about a book being released yet. It looks like it's still only in pre-order:

Lives here

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#88 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 April 2023 - 03:19 PM

View PostMacros, on 14 April 2023 - 10:27 AM, said:

So I was wondering what a collective term for a group of nerds/geeks is? Plenty of ideas on teh intardwebz, but I'm sorta leaning toward "convention". ;)

https://scienceblogs...-noun-for-geeks

Anyhoo, back to your arglebargle. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#89 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:55 PM

I’ve always called that a ‘message board’ personally, but some say ‘forum’.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#90 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 April 2023 - 05:39 AM

"A funny thing happened on the way to the message board." Yeah ... nah.
"A forum of nerds" works better. I still like "convention" though.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#91 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 April 2023 - 05:59 AM

An empire of nerds

#92 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 April 2023 - 07:36 PM

Next question, not DnD specific I suppose, just a generic organisational question I suppose.

I've been clicking and checking through many apps and options (rollrota reads well)

but mainly what we are looking for is a scheduling app. Where our group can all input times that best suit them and it will overlay it for us so we can co-ordinate our DnD sessions.
Anyone have an app or website they use, or have used?

#93 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:23 AM

Yes, it’s a group text.

Now get to the good stuff and tell us about your character!!

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 20 April 2023 - 01:24 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#94 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 April 2023 - 04:48 AM

Not until you give me the app I need!

#95 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:28 AM

The biggest challenge of a dnd game is scheduling it can't be defeated by mere technology!

I've used doodle when trying to arrange a game but it's not ideal.

My personal experience for having a game which lasts is agreeing a date and a time that everyone will be able to do consistently with a set frequency and everyone keeps it free, on occasions when it's busy you try and rearrange if possible or otherwise run without people.

#96 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:39 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 20 April 2023 - 10:28 AM, said:

The biggest challenge of a dnd game is scheduling it can't be defeated by mere technology!

I've used doodle when trying to arrange a game but it's not ideal.

My personal experience for having a game which lasts is agreeing a date and a time that everyone will be able to do consistently with a set frequency and everyone keeps it free, on occasions when it's busy you try and rearrange if possible or otherwise run without people.

Also, flex.
Multiple people being able to DM, a few extra characters/NPCs who can move in and out of the story, and a few one-and-done options.

That sounds like it requires a pile of planning but really all you need is >1 semi competent DM who can improvise on the fly and/or have a couple of modules/planned games in hand. Some of the bestest campaigns i ever did as DM or player had exactly zero planning.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#97 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:57 PM

Take that Goblin Ambush!

#98 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 July 2023 - 04:31 AM

I'm starting the process of building my own campaign to DM.
(were still playing through our first campaign)
I'm going to run a prefab one shot and at least one forgotten realms campaign first naturally, but I figure creating a campaign from scratch will be a lengthy process.

Queries for the nerds, is there a handy way to find, for example, a spiderweb map of plot and sub quests of a game I know like Ice wind dale? Searching just keeps giving me the actual maps or a walk through.

#99 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 July 2023 - 10:07 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 July 2023 - 04:31 AM, said:

I'm starting the process of building my own campaign to DM.
(were still playing through our first campaign)
I'm going to run a prefab one shot and at least one forgotten realms campaign first naturally, but I figure creating a campaign from scratch will be a lengthy process.

Prefab's can be good to get some mechanical proficiency and learn what the players like but are also frequently good examples of what is called railroading which is generally considered less then optimal roleplaying experiences.

My strategy for it has become rather streamlined after doing it for well god more than twenty years.

Do a very long time plan very sketchy so that you know where you are going. Divide it into steps with natural sections and have a decent idea of where the current section is going. Do a lot of detail on the area so that you can improvise things that fit the setting and locations. Only detail plan say 2-3 sessions ahead and be ready to adjust for what happens during the session.

Roleplaying rarely work well when detail planned too much, but it thrives on having an idea of where you want to go eventually, introducing facts, people and stuff well ahead of them becoming important just like books. However they aren't books which are supposed to get to the writers supposed end, but at least partially a joint storytelling exercise at least at their best.

The exception is dungeons or dungeonlike situation when playing something like D&D the more detail planning you do the better they become at the same time don't fall into the trap of making them videogame large that usually don't work well at the table or at least only rarely. Mostly consider how much time you want to spend in the dungeon and how long your group takes to play out a combat encounter. I'd say you only occasionally want to spend more than one session in the same dungeon and no one enjoys killing the tenth group of goblins/skeletons/orcs/whatever.

Basically the best realization as a GM is that your basically entertaining a group of players, there is no reason to spend much time on things the group doesn't like including the GM who is a player just as much as the rest.

View PostMacros, on 17 July 2023 - 04:31 AM, said:

Queries for the nerds, is there a handy way to find, for example, a spiderweb map of plot and sub quests of a game I know like Ice wind dale? Searching just keeps giving me the actual maps or a walk through.

The best I can think of is the game walkthroughs they are usually exhaustive and decently organized.

This post has been edited by Chance: 18 July 2023 - 01:33 PM

#100 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2023 - 10:59 AM

Having dm'd for a while I'd echo that 'planning' a campaign should be kept to broad strokes, your players will head completely the wrong direction, suddenly come back somewhere you didn't expect, kill your important NPC or become best friends with the your big bad evil guy. It's nearly impossible to plot out a campaign too far in advance. You can come up with broad strokes and motivations of your antagonists and some locations but don't plan to far in advance, you aren't writing a novel and your players will do something you don't expect. I've frequently spent time planning something only for my players to bypass it entirely.

I don't think there are easily accessible spiderwebs like you are talking, but walkthroughs should have all that info.

If you like Icewind dale I'm currently running the prefab campaign rime of the frostmaiden and the background knowledge from playing the game is definitely helpful when I have to improv!

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users