Malazan Empire: Ye Big Cricket Thread - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Cricket Thread Because why make a new topic every time?

#1 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 December 2022 - 12:21 AM

Like it says, might as well keep it to a single thread from now on.

And to start it off auspiciously - I watched this as it happened. It was the most hilarious, appalling innings I have ever seen. I was left feeling dazed and even a little, bit queasy after. :sick: :shock: :wallbash: :dizzy:

Check the article for the Twitter quotes. It makes for rather embarrassing reading. :no

https://www.news.com...8e0fd24c18a3453

‘Never seen that’: World reacts to Big Bash farce
The cricket world has been left lost for words after it witnessed something the sport has never seen before in shambolic scenes.

Cricket stunned by ‘crazy’ world record
The cricket world has been left lost for words after the Sydney Thunder were bowled out for 15 in the worst T20 score ever witnessed in the sport.

The Adelaide Strikers obliterated the home team at the Sydney Showgrounds on Friday night, where it got as ugly as it gets.

NCA NewsWire’s Matt Cleary summed it up: “It was U/10s stuff. It was unbelievable”.

Having been bowled out in the space of 35 balls, there was a wicket walling every 3.5 deliveries.

Henry Thornton took 5/3 off 17 balls. Wes Agar took 4/2 off 12 balls. Matthew Short took 1/5 and a catch of the summer.

Thunder’s top score was from No. 10 batter Brendan Doggett whose runs came from a lucky French cut.

Rashid Khan didn’t bowl. Peter Siddle didn’t bowl.

There were five ducks. Wicket-keeper Henry Nielsen took five catches.

Farcical.

The cricket world has been left at a loss trying to explain it.

“It’s an absolute shambles here at the Showground,” Brett Lee said on Fox League.

“I haven’t seen a performance like that – it’s appalling for the Sydney Thunder.

“15, really? I’m speechless. They haven’t even warmed up.

“I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Aussie great Brad Haddin was left in disbelief.

“That was just unbelievable,” he said.

“To be bowled out for 15 in 35 balls is just embarrassing.”

Some were even harsher in their assessments.

veteran sports commentator Stephen Quartermain said he was watching an U10s side.

Sport commentator Bernie Coen also wrote on Twitter: ‘I’m gobsmacked. Thunder players were laughing while batting. That was bloody disgraceful and they should be embarrassed.

“Just WOEFUL.”

English superstar Ben Stokes’ reaction on Twitter seemed to sum up the mood from commentators around the globe.

Poor Thunder captain Jasan Sangha was left trying to explain the capitulation after the match.

“I don’t have much to say about it, to be honest,” he said.

“It’s not like we went out to be crazy. Nine of 11 batsmen out caught behind ... we nicked off too many times.

“I don’t want to dive into it. But end of the day it’s just not good enough for a professional team to be bowled out for that many runs.

“I don’t know. It wasn’t like guys were out there trying to throw their wicket away.”

They didn’t have to - Thornton and company were bowling hand grenades.

“We’re just a bunch of good blokes doing our best,” Thornton said.

“It was a bit surreal in the huddles. No-one could believe it was going on.”

The first wicket fell on the third ball of the innings when Matthew Gilkes recorded his second duck in two games when he cut Short uppishly to point where Alex Hose took a fine diving catch.

Then the carnage began.

Short took a one-handed blinder at first slip to dismiss Riley Roussow.

Jason Sangha came in and Thornton had two for none when the captain edged to Nielsen. Strikers captain Peter Siddle brought in two slips.

Dangerman Alex Hales was soon gone, edging Wes Agar. It was such that a Daniel Sams’ single was Bronx cheered by the small home crowd.

When Agar bowled Sams and Thornton had Ross the Thunder had lost five wickets for nine runs in the first 17 balls.

Thornton got Hales caught behind the Thunder were 6/9 off 19 balls.

Chris Green defended Thornton’s next ball, and the home crowd roared approval. Then they did it again. And again.

The lowest BBL score was the Melbourne Renegades’ 57 in 2015. Thornton delivered the only maiden of the tournament.

When Ollie Davies tucked a single through gully, the crowd roared like he’d hit a six.

Then Green was gone, off Agar, caught behind.

They were 7 for 10. Then 8 for 10.

When Thornton got rid of Ollie Davies, out slashing, Thunder were 9/14.

Out came Fazalhaq Farooqi. And back he went. His team all out for 15.

At the halfway mark it had looked good for the home side after the Strikers, confronted by a fine bowling performance by Sydney Thunder, amassed 9/139. Nobody could have predicted what came next.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully the 3 Test AUS v SA series starting today will provide a bit better competition.
Not too much mind, I'd like to send the Saffers back home with their tails between their legs. Fingers crossed.

Gods, I hope I didn't just jinx our lads. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 December 2022 - 12:26 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 December 2022 - 01:08 AM

The pitch was a bit lively. When a 5 day Test match is over in 2, you know there's something going on.

https://www.news.com...c2497f44ab0bb1c

Having watched it live, a fair few of the batters did throw their wickets away though. This is like what they used to bat on back in the Olden Days, and they managed.
Hopefully it might encourage a bit more discipline after recent years of consistent (placid) pitches encouraged batting like it was a 1 day or even T20 match.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 January 2023 - 11:57 PM

Thank goodness they are reducing the Big Bash League (Australian T20 competition) back to what it was. Back when it was good.
Dropping 20 matches and 2 weeks from the schedule means we can probably get more international marquee players to commit for the whole comp as well, like they used to.

----------------------------------------

https://www.news.com...b7b61a7822a97e8

Far fewer Big Bash games under new TV rights deal
The Big Bash season has had too many games for too long – thankfully, that’s all about to change.

January 3, 2023 - 10:25AM

The Big Bash League will slice 20 games off its season, potentially reducing it by at least two weeks as part of changes under the massive new seven-year, $1.51 billion broadcast deal announced on Tuesday.

The new deal with the Foxtel Group (including Fox Sports on Foxtel and streaming service Kayo Sports), Seven and 7plus means the networks will broadcast Australian international men’s and women’s matches as well as the WBBL and BBL until 2031.

Among the key changes will be a reduction in the season length for the BBL, which this year runs from December 13 to the final on February 4.

Instead of the 61 games played this season, there will only be 43, and three finals instead of five, from 2024 onwards with a later calendar start as well to align better with school holidays.

The length of the season has long been a bugbear of the players, but has also impacted the availability of Australia’s biggest international stars, who are tending to choose shorter competitions overseas to play in instead of the BBL.

“The breadth and quality of cricket to be played in Australia over the coming summers is extraordinary and we are looking forward to working with our partners to not only televise the games, but to promote and grow cricket by encouraging more kids to pick up a bat and ball,” Cricket Australia boss Nick Hockley said as the deal was confirmed.

“This is also an important commercial outcome for all of Australian Cricket and one that will ensure we can continue to deliver important community programs, support volunteers and increase participation to keep cricket strong.

Other key elements of the new broadcast partnership include:

– Every game will be shown live on Fox Cricket through Foxtel and Kayo Sports, including men’s white ball games and 10 exclusive BBL matches.

– The Foxtel Group’s exclusive BBL matches will include a Super Saturday series shown on Fox Cricket through Foxtel and Kayo Sports.

– Seven will broadcast all men’s Tests and women’s international matches, 23 WBBL matches and 33 of the 43 BBL matches (including three BBL Finals).

– All Seven games will also be streamed on 7plus, allowing cricket to increase its reach.

– The term of the deal includes two home five-Test men’s series against India (24-25 and 28-29) and two home five-Test men’s Ashes series (25-26 and 29-30).

– An improved women’s international program, including home multi-format series against India, England and South Africa in the first three years of the deal.

As part of the deal, Seven has withdrawn its legal proceedings against CA relating to issues with the quality of matches, particularly the Big Bash, during seasons affected by the pandemic.

------------------------------------

Still not happy we don't get ALL the BBL and internaional limited overs games on Free to air TV but I guess these days you take what you can get. The Pay TV guys have to have their treats.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 03 January 2023 - 12:00 AM

#4 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 January 2023 - 02:14 PM

Annoyed that I missed this one tonight, would have been great to watch. Big Bash League (domestic T20).

The Hobart Hurricanes made 4-229, and the Adelaide Strikers got it, with 3 balls remaining. Absolute fireworks!

https://www.news.com...8c8e15be7012322

‘BBL is back’: Big Bash in disbelief over highest run chase ever
The Adelaide Strikers have pulled off the unthinkable in one of the greatest BBL matches of all time, despite a hint of controversy.

@AndrewMcMurtry

January 5, 2023 - 11:21PM
01:41

The Adelaide Strikers have pulled off the biggest chase in BBL history, chasing down what was the fourth highest score in the competition’s history.

The Hurricanes smashed 4/229 on the back of a 30-ball 57 for Ben McDermott, Caleb Jewell’s 25-ball 54 and Zak Crawley’s blistering 28-ball 54 not out in his first game of the season.

But while the highest previous chase was the Hurricanes 8/223 in 2017, the Strikers rewrote the history books.

A 29-ball 64 was a slice of Lynnsanity from Chris Lynn but he was overshadowed by opener Matt Short, who brought up his 100 off 59 balls with the match winning four.

Even more remarkably there were still three balls remaining.

The 459 combined runs also make it the highest scoring match in the history of the BBL.

“It’s unreal to chase that down,” Short told Fox Cricket after the match. “We were pretty flat in the rooms at halftime. But it was nice to go out with a bit of freedom and have a bit of fun.”

Short was also the captain of the team for the first time after Peter Siddle was ruled out with a lower-back injury.

It was also a tough night for the Hurricanes’ Pakistani import Faheem Ashraf, who finished with the equal third worst figures in a BBL match — going for 0/61 in his 3.3 overs. For the record, the worst figures are Liam Guthrie’s 2/70 for the Heat from BBL11.

Ashraf had a night to forget when in the 17th over as the Hurricanes still needed 50 off 21 balls he had Adam Hose caught for 20 — only for it to be deemed a controversial waist-high no ball.

In the commentary box, Mark Waugh believed it wasn’t above Hose waistline in his original stance, while Brad Haddin said he thought it was a no ball.

The umpires sided with Haddin as the call came through and Hose hit the corresponding free hit for six over cover.

“What a potential game turner — the non-wicket, the extra ball, the extra run,” Dan Ginnane said in commentary on Fox Cricket.

Waugh said: “It had another metre to go before it gets to where he was in his stance. I think they’re a bit stiff there the Hurricanes personally.”

Fans were stunned by the incredible performance and incredible match in front of a brilliant crowd in Adelaide.

Footballer Rocky Visconte tweeted: “What a Game, best big bash game iv seen. Up the @StrikersBBL.”

The Roar’s Brett McKay wrote: “Quite unbelievable game, both sides making record BBL scores, the Strikers with a record run-chase!”

Cricket.com.au commentator Adam White posted: “I’m pleased for Matt Short. His white ball form all season has been outstanding. So he thoroughly deserves that breakthrough white ball hundred in such incredible circumstances”.

Newscorp's Tim Michell commented: “I’m telling ya, the BBL is back”.

#5 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 February 2023 - 11:50 AM

1. Perth Scorchers beat the Brisbane Heat in the BBL final. I got a "little bit emotional" watching that match. Brisbane fought their way back to have it in the palm of their hands but yet again found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with some frankly appalling bowling in the last few overs. :(

2. India's pitch-doctoring for the first Test was expected. Everyone does it, hell, we certainly do. But the extent was quite new. To selectively treat each part of the pitch differently is a new low, even for cheats par excellence India.
But we didn't help with our confusing team selection - ok let's leave out our best batsman of the last 6 months - and terrible batting. Poor shot selection and panic.
But once again, India find a new way to get away with cheating. Jadeja's "finger ointment/pain relief cream"? After not that many overs? What a crock of shit. If it truly was above board, why did he do it furtively with his team-mate instead of declaring it right in front of the umpire, which would have been fine? No, it was straight up an attempt to alter the ball, any other excuse is pure bullshit.
But it didn't alter the result of the match. We were utter shite. Makes our decision to not play a tour match and rely on "simulating Indian conditions" back in Sydney, and hiring a lookalike Ashwin bowler to bowl at us in the nets look like a disastrous choice.
People are saying "well, that's the worst, the only way is up from here" but I have faith in our ability to consistently plumb new depths. Especially in India. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 11 February 2023 - 11:50 AM

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 February 2023 - 05:34 AM

OMG after some faint hope in the first innings of the second Test, Australia have outdone themselves with a collapse for the ages of 8/28 to go from 2/85 to all out 113, a lead of 114. India should wrap this up today.

Absolutely shameful. No fight. No clue. Nothing. Utterly spineless. :( :rant: :realmad:

EDIT: what makes it so much worse is we had them at 7/139 in their first innings and let them build a 114 run 8th wicket partnership ... :doh:
It enough to make me think maybe half our team have Indian bookies in their phone contacts. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 February 2023 - 08:54 AM

#7 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:19 PM

At least our women's team know how to win. And how. :thumbsup:

Pity that the Laureus Awards don't understand there are other team sports than soccer, yankball and F1. :p

https://www.news.com...f5736b49a06953b

EDIT: a better report of the final
https://www.news.com...62bbea1956f3f5b

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 February 2023 - 12:32 PM

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:25 PM

I thought cricket was just an excuse to stand around and drink Pimms?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:32 PM

WTF is Pimms?

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:33 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimm%27s

It's basically what posh people in the south of England drink at sports events such as Wimbledon and cricket.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 June 2023 - 11:13 PM

Nah, like you said that's just the tennis crowd. Cricket can get quite common and raucous, except maybe the Members Stand. Which sounds quite naughty when you think about it. ;)

So the Ashes are off to a start and as predicted the Poms got their road of a pitch and went all "Bazball", to mixed success. 8/393 dec in under 3 sessions is pretty decent though.
Fingers crossed our batsmen will make good use of the pitch as well, and we will see what our spin can do in the 2nd innings.

#12 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 June 2023 - 01:57 AM

Oh and for fans of baseball, here's how to catch a harder, heavier ball moving just as fast, with just your hands. Or just one hand, to be exact. Fancy that. :rolleyes:

https://www.news.com...67c424060fe321f

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 June 2023 - 01:58 AM

#13 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 June 2023 - 11:06 AM

Day 2:

Once again the Commentator's Curse fucks us over. That plus Labuschagne playing a "get out" shot he would leave 99 other times out of 100. :doh:
Stop trying to play "Bazball" - play your own game.
Draco Malfoy's - sorry, Stuart Broad's - theatrics before bowling that ball should have drawn a warning from the umpires.

#14 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 June 2023 - 08:11 AM

Well, that was a surprising finish. Happy to take the win, but I thought it would be either us calmly and solidly pacing ourselves to the target, or having our usual collapse and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as we have so many times before.
Never thought we'd win a close one, we're normally just shit at those.

Such a damn shame it's on at ungodly hours, I can only watch maybe the first session or so on a school night. :(

#15 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 June 2023 - 11:47 PM

England are either brainwashed, or brilliant, or both in a team where negative talk is passé even if you have just been beaten

[...] The word Bazball was coined in May 2022 [...]

[...] No negative chat [...]

Other warning signs of cultism: "No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry." Bazball presents itself as aggressively non-analytical. "We don't worry too much about the opposition," was McCullum's response to what he might possibly have learned from Australia's tactics at Edgbaston. Really? Why not? But then, as Ross notes, "the group/leader is always right". If McCullum says "Mo did a fabulous job" and "Jonny kept really well throughout", then just reading these words it kind of feels, somehow, like it might actually be true.

So, it's a cult.

Bazball: a cult of bruised masculinity where you win even if you lose | Ashes 2023

The timeline seems to fit:

Ted Lasso has now infected cricket!

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 June 2023 - 11:48 PM

#16 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2023 - 12:14 PM

... and our women's team win the Test against England! :cheers: :clap: :thumbsup: :fun:
Ash Gardner takes 12-165 for the match, including 8-66 in the second innings, if you don't mind.
England had a double-centurion, and a spinner taking 10 for the match ... but lost. That sort of match.
Good to watch. More 5 day Tests for the women, please.

Now the 3 x one dayers and 3 x T20 to go in the series.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 June 2023 - 12:16 PM

#17 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 July 2023 - 09:41 PM

Men's Ashes Test Match #2, end of day #4:

Fingers crossed for us to take 6 wickets before the Poms get another 258, but I'm getting quite annoyed with all the short pitched shit even though we started it.
Really kills a game. Although maybe batsmen these days need to learn how to score - albeit slowly - against that sort of bowling. I'm thinking stay well forward out of your crease and just keep the ball DOWN. Lots of cheeky singles.

Great to see our women win the first T20, taking us to 6 points in the Ashes series (4 for a Test win, 2 each for limited overs wins). Would have preferred to watch it, but such an ungodly hour.
I couldn't even watch all the mens days' play because England happens to be on the wrong side of the planet. I say make them play GMT 0700-1400 each day, that'll suit nicely thank you. Still good light, and finishes around midnight our time. Sorted. :)

EDIT: Starc's catch off Duckett should have been a catch logically, but the law in that regard had to be applied as he technically wasn't "in control of his body" in the completion of the catch. Hence the law needs to be changed, because if that was applied across all diving/falling catches, then a lot should have been ruled not out. The law is not clear, or not evenly applied, therefore something must change.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 July 2023 - 03:41 AM

#18 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 July 2023 - 08:12 PM

Oh thank goodness. The Great Escape. 2-0.

And for anyone thinking Bairstow's dismissal was cheating, well, if the "laws of the game" was good enough to keep Duckett on the field after Starc's catch, then the same applies here.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 July 2023 - 08:12 PM

#19 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 July 2023 - 11:21 AM

England’s hypocrisy laid bare after ‘cheating’ claims during second Test
The latest Ashes controversy saw England respond in scathing fashion, but multiple examples show why their argument is null and void.

https://www.news.com...baddc754e179837

In other words: Fuck you, you twats.

#20 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:51 PM

Just one of those moments where no matter who the team was on the receiving end, they'd be moaning like fuck...

Personally it didn't bother me, it's in the rules so all is fair in love and war...

Going into the day I didn't expect a Bazball chase down, I did start to believe when Stokes got going but it was dead the moment he was out.

Got to give it to the guy though - as much as I know you love him - he does rise to the big occasions, a great player.

I think that is the Ashes pretty much done now, best we can hope for is a retain for you ha... 2 games in, yey!

This post has been edited by champ: 03 July 2023 - 06:51 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users