• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DC Studios A New Era for the DCEU

#21 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:52 AM

The Authority! I am losing my shit.

Maybe, just maybe, we're on the road to a Transmetropolitan movie?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 01 February 2023 - 05:53 AM

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:07 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 31 January 2023 - 11:29 PM, said:

but it doesn't have the trapped on a bit of Krypton part.

That's part of her origin...trapped in a piece of Krypton for like 16 years or something. It's why Superman gets to earth before her, even thought she was sent off at the same time as him to look out for him, and why when she arrives he's already old enough to look after himself.

View Postpolishgenius, on 31 January 2023 - 11:29 PM, said:

Looks like Paradise Lost is a prequel before Diana was born/created, so decisions on Gal Gadot coming back or not won't need to be made just yet.

I'll be really honest, I'd rather they recast her since it's clear they are recasting Batman and Superman. Make a clean break.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:08 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 01 February 2023 - 05:52 AM, said:

The Authority! I am losing my shit.

Maybe, just maybe, we're on the road to a Transmetropolitan movie?

My mind actually went to a PLANETARY movie in Chapter 2...and I want to know who is going to play Jenny Sparks!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 February 2023 - 04:26 PM

Oh, I remember what you're talking about now. I thought you meant at the start of the story.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#25 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 01 February 2023 - 04:44 PM

I don't know enough about DC to get excited about some of the more lesser known elements.

I'm very much wait and see but have faith in James Gunn.

Lanterns show could be sweet, as long as they do it correctly.

But superhero burnout is a thing for me now so they'll have to nail it for me to cinema it.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:41 PM

View Postchamp, on 01 February 2023 - 04:44 PM, said:

I don't know enough about DC to get excited about some of the more lesser known elements.

If you're talking about The Authority, it's sort of like the Justice League if they were really morally suspect and don't mind killing to get the job done...but are still technically the good guys if fascistic; they basically operate on a mandate that is above all world governments and don't care for any political reasons to do or not do things...

Jenny Sparks, "The Spirit of the Twentieth Century"; the group's founder and original leader. She lives 100 years to match her century and then will be replaced with a new one. Having lived through the whole century she's been aparty to many of the big events of the 20th.

Apollo, "The Sun God" (Superman allegory)
Midnighter a.k.a. Lucas Trent, "Night's Bringer of War" (Batman Allegory)...Apollo and Midnighter are a gay couple.
The Doctor a.k.a. Jeroen Thornedike, "The Shaman" (can basically alter reality to whatever whim he can think of)
The second Engineer a.k.a. Angela Spica, "The Maker". (Liquid Nanite body; can create solid objects; a Cyborg allegory really)
Jack Hawksmoor, "The God of Cities"; leader of the Authority. (powers tied to the city he's in at any given time, the bigger the city, the more grandiose and strong his powers)
Swift a.k.a. Shen Li-Min, "The Winged Huntress" (Flash Allegory with wings)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 February 2023 - 05:42 PM

#27 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:27 PM

I know Midnighter is visually and in his partnership with Apollo a very obvious Batman fill-in, but in his backstory and powers I always felt he has way more in common with Wolverine.

The Doctor is a Doctor Strange expy, of course, so some Marvel-inspired crossover already there.

Swift was always a weird one. I think she was meant to be more Hawkgirl than Flash, but even in the original run Ellis struggled to give her useful shit to do because her powers just didn't scale with everyone else's. Which obviously isn't always a problem, but for whatever reason, she was often sidelined, and I was pretty glad that he made her the Doctor instead in his recent Wild Storm reboot (added benefit: a great visual on her new wings). That reboot was awesome, btw, although where anyone draws the line about buying his stuff now that he's a known sketchy creep is, well.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:58 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 February 2023 - 06:27 PM, said:

I know Midnighter is visually and in his partnership with Apollo a very obvious Batman fill-in, but in his backstory and powers I always felt he has way more in common with Wolverine.

The Doctor is a Doctor Strange expy, of course, so some Marvel-inspired crossover already there.

Swift was always a weird one. I think she was meant to be more Hawkgirl than Flash, but even in the original run Ellis struggled to give her useful shit to do because her powers just didn't scale with everyone else's. Which obviously isn't always a problem, but for whatever reason, she was often sidelined, and I was pretty glad that he made her the Doctor instead in his recent Wild Storm reboot (added benefit: a great visual on her new wings). That reboot was awesome, btw, although where anyone draws the line about buying his stuff now that he's a known sketchy creep is, well.

Yeah, some Marvel-type powers mixed in with some of them....Swift often was referred to as "the fastest mammal on planet earth" in the Ellis run, so that's why I always saw her and a Flash allegory, but perhaps a mix of HAwkgirl and Flash works too.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 February 2023 - 01:33 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 February 2023 - 06:58 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 February 2023 - 06:27 PM, said:

Yeah, some Marvel-type powers mixed in with some of them....Swift often was referred to as "the fastest mammal on planet earth" in the Ellis run, so that's why I always saw her and a Flash allegory, but perhaps a mix of HAwkgirl and Flash works too.

Swift could be brilliant ... some of the visuals of her flying so fast she just tore thru baddies were great. But yah she wasn't put on par w the others and it was hard to accept her working in the same insane situations the Authority was frequently in. At times they gave her shapeshifted claws on her hands and feet that helped a bit.
The Doctor upgrade was a nice touch and could have worked but was totally lost to the Wildstorm line implosion.

I do have a huge fondness for The Authority, especially the original 12 issue Ellis and Hitch run. It was comics for the same of making great comics and massive fun. It's kind of astounding to me that that first run was 24 years ago and since then Ellis... yeah, that... and Hitch (who remains a brilliant artist) publicly laments his subsequent career.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 February 2023 - 07:43 PM

LEGION OF SUPERHEROES (DC's latest animated offering, continuing the Tomorrowverse that was begun about 4 movies back) was solidly good. It's funny, I know I said that Tom King's run on SG was a god choice for the live action Supergirl movie, but having seen this I wonder if the LEGION/30th Century is not the right place to set her, and let her be a way to bring in the New Gods, and other space-y elements of the DC universe?

Anyways, I quite enjoyed this, but Ive always enjoyed Legion stories...the animation is lovely here and the voice acting for Supergirl, Braniac 5, and the rest are all good as well. It can be a bit predictable at times, and it's not reinventing the wheel, but it's a fun couple of hours with some of my fave DC characters.

Can't wait to see what's next. DC's Animated offerings have always been solid to great.

EDIT: I should probably clarify what the Tomorrowverse is for those that don't know...the DC Animated film universe/Continuity which began way back in the 90's with BATMAN: TAS and included every animated TV and film till 2006's JUSTICE LEAGUE: UNLIMITED tv series, rebooted into the DCUAOM in 2007 which was essentially the Animated version of the New52. There was no plot-based rhyme or reason to this, it was a business decision to align the Animated movies with the New52 continuity in the comics...the DCUAOM included all the animated movies from 2007's SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY all the way till 2021's JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK: APOKALIPS WAR (which is like 35 movies)....in that last film, even though they do win in the end...Darkseid fucks the earth of the DCUAOM up almost beyond repair and Batman essentially says that millions and possibly billions of humans will die before the JL can come up with a way to save earth....so John Constantine convinces the Flash to reset the timeline (in the DCUAOM continuity he had already fucked it up with the original Flashpoint trying to save his mom; so he's got to be talked into this)...and boom, the Tomorrowverse is born and so far it consists of:

SUPERMAN: MAN OF TOMORROW (2020)
JUSTICE SOCIETY: WORLD WAR II (2021)
BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN (2021)
GREEN LANTERN: BEWARE MY POWER (2022)
LEGION OF SUPERHEROES (2023)

and the forthcoming

JUSTICE LEAGUE: WARWORLD (2023; summer)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 February 2023 - 01:54 PM

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 February 2023 - 01:13 PM

Decided to watch the three of those I hadn't yet seen.

Last night I watched SUPERMAN: MAN OF TOMORROW, and it was great. Not an origin story really, more of a "year one" kinda deal with Superman figuring out how to tell the world he's an alien....add in Lex, Lobo, and Parasite and it's a party. And as usual in these films, the 3rd act isn't just an action sequence, but contains layers of story too. Darren Criss is a REALLY good choice to succeed Tim Daly as the best voice actor Superman, he brings a softness to the role that really gives Clark a vulnerability that is important to his character. Oh, and Alexandra Daddario as Lois is a nice touch as well.

Halfway through JUSTICE SOCIETY: WWII, good so far...I'll weigh in when I'm done.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 February 2023 - 01:57 PM

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 February 2023 - 03:42 PM

JUSTICE SOCIETY: WWII was another solid outing, and I can see strands of plot points they are aiming towards with the summers JL: WARWORLD movie. Was not expecting multiple sad parts of this movie. This is probably the best version of Jay Garrick I've seen in a DC film.

Stana Katic is an interesting choice for Wonder Woman, especially pulling a greek accent...she did a good job. Matt Bomer is an inspired choice for modern Flash, he's got Barry's tone and cadence down to a T and the jokes land with as much aplomb as they should. Omid Abtahi is REALLY good as Carter Hall/Hawkman...like he was one of the people who summoned tears from me with his performance. Darren Criss once again nails Clark/Superman, can't say enough good things about him in this role. Matt Mercer playing Hourman was something I'd NOT expected! After being immersed in Critical Role for a few weeks now, that was a happy surprise.

As to plot, this was a fun WWII story with a dash of Indiana Jones to the superhero fun. It's always nice to see the Justice Society get some play!

Onto GREEN LANTERN: BEWARE MY POWER...

#33 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 February 2023 - 11:00 AM

Hmmm ...

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2023 - 01:05 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 February 2023 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hmmm ...

I mean that's just a spectacular trailer for a superhero movie. This is why they've been trying so hard to not cancel Miller yet...this movie has the potential to be a REAL big win for DC.

#35 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2023 - 01:21 PM

Yah that does seem to be the case.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2023 - 01:40 PM

View Postworry, on 13 February 2023 - 01:21 PM, said:

I mean they will still use it to launch Gunn & Safran's DCU, but yeah it seems like it will kick off in style. Seeing my childhood Batman on the big screen again is gonna be dope.

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2023 - 02:06 PM

Okay, let's dissect.

1. A TINY part of me wants the motorcycle/Batbike to be Bale as Nolan's Batman....since we already have Battfleck and Keaton....but I realize that's wishing stuff... It's Affleck on the Nolan-esque Batcycle.
2. So Kara gets Clark's story from FLASHPOINT....Clark dies on his way to earth, Kara succeeds in arriving but is imprisoned for being an alien. All dope.
3. Seeing Keaton's Batman, his Batcave (the CAR!), and hearing his iconic line AND the music?! My cup, she runeth over.
4. The Flash suit looks SOOOOOOOO much better than the one that existed already, and the ring made an appearance!
5. Going back all the way to MAN OF STEEL, and using Zod as a main villain (in terms of Flashpoint, this is replacing the traditional Atlanteans VS Amazons part of that story, but that makes tonnes of sense and bookends the Snyderverse)...it's pretty genius since that REALLY cleans the slate for Gunn & Safran...the Snyderverse will wink out and the Gunn/Safran-verse will replace it. I wonder what we see at the end of this movie to show that...I still hope Miller is replaced and a different Barry actor shows up in the epilogue...
6. MCSCUSE ME, THE 1989 BATWING?!? With a red and blue super caped her flying beside it?! Fuck me, all my childhood dreams in one film.

Oh, and for old school fans like me...HERE IS AFFLECK'S BATMAN IN AN ARMORED VERSION OF THE GODDAMNED NEAL ADAMS BATMAN SUIT, BLUE CAPE AND COWL, GREY SUIT, AND YELLOW UTILITY BELT....FUUUUUUUUUUCK

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 February 2023 - 02:32 PM

#38 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 February 2023 - 05:26 PM

Superwoman instead of Superman. It's not the gender that will matter but the actor's performance.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#39 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 February 2023 - 05:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 February 2023 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 13 February 2023 - 01:21 PM, said:

I mean they will still use it to launch Gunn & Safran's DCU, but yeah it seems like it will kick off in style. Seeing my childhood Batman on the big screen again is gonna be dope.

I can still remember seeing Batman with Keaton in the theater as a boy. Dad dropped me and a friend off.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 February 2023 - 03:56 AM

Miller remains a walking disasterbag, but i can admit the trailer pulled me rtf in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users