• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DC Studios A New Era for the DCEU

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:41 PM

So last night, only a few days after the news dropped that Henry Cavill was going to be back as Superman in the DCEU (beyond his cameo in _______), it was announced that James Gunn & Peter Safran would be taking over the roles as Co-CEO's of the newly minted DC Studios.

Article: https://variety.com/...ery-1235414228/

This is great for a few reasons. I expect that Gunn will manage and oversee the creative side (Ala Kevin Feige), and Safran the business side.

We all know Gunn's pedigree is about creator-driven stories (he was the first to make Disney/Marvel allow a writer/director to go off the formula and do his own thing (GOTG) to much success), and he's done low budget stuff and high budget stuff and knows how to work within such confines (something I expect Zaslav will want full ROI on).

Then you have Safran, who has overseen the only other really viable and successful "shared universe" out there, the Conjuring Universe, and his DC involvement was with SHAZAM!, AQUAMAN, THE SUICIDE SQUAD, and SHAZAM: FURY OF THE GODS, three of which were successes so far, and FotG looks to be more good stuff and drops in just over a month.

I would also expect that Zaslav wants a plan going forward and the movies will now be tiered for budgets and ROI as well.

I saw someone lay it out like this:

Tier 1 movies $80-120m budget for Titles like Blue Beetle, Green Arrow and Black Canary and they will expected to do $425-550m
Tier 2 movies $125-160m budget for Titles like ; Shazam 2, Constantine 2, Secret Six, Joker 2 , JSA and they will expect $550-700m
Tier 3 Movies $165m-200m budget for top tier brands like ; Wonder Woman 3, Man of Tomorrow, Batman vs Deathstroke, Black Adam 2, Aquaman 2, The Batman 2, The Batman 3 And they will expect $750-875m
Tier 4 Movies $200m-300m budget for Event Movies like ; The Flash, JL vs Legion of Doom, JL2, JL3, crisis on infinite earth, Green Lantern Corps blackest night, The Flash 2, Trinity And they will expect box office of $875m-1.2bn

I expect in the next few days or weeks to see a Marvel-like presentation with a schedule of films lined up.

this is good news. DC has never really had someone to do these things. They had Johns and Jim Lee in these roles at various points, but both men (while good in their written milieu of comics) are simply not film-oriented like Feige was....James Gunn very much is that guy. This also means that he will make no more Marvel stuff. GOTG Holiday Special and GOTG3 will be his final works for that banner and everything he does from here on out will be DC/WBD.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2022 - 12:43 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:43 PM

...and i am SO THERE for it.

Yet i still see Snyderbros a weeping and it's pretty funny.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 October 2022 - 01:43 PM, said:

...and i am SO THERE for it.

Yet i still see Snyderbros a weeping and it's pretty funny.

I mean, Gunn and Snyder are friends...Gunn wrote Snyder's DAWN OF THE DEAD, and his fave DCEU movie is MoS.

Not saying this means anything, and I highly doubt Snyder is coming back to do any more DC content, but it's worth noting that Gunn is not anti-Snyder either.

And Abyss...stay with me here...what about JLI by Gunn?.....Oh my gods...it's tailor-made for Gunn!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2022 - 01:52 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:50 PM

In theory it sounds good! Whether the films themselves deliver ala Avengers et al, we shall have to wait and see.

Also I'm hoping they replace The Flash with a different actor.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:52 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 October 2022 - 01:50 PM, said:

In theory it sounds good! Whether the films themselves deliver ala Avengers et al, we shall have to wait and see.

Also I'm hoping they replace The Flash with a different actor.

Eh, the answer to that is that they probably won't for at least this film. Miller did their 'apology' and the movie is testing well. It sucks, but for the timer being they are Barry. That said, I could see them icing Barry into the Speedforce and making Wally the lead with a new actor beyond that. I mean, it happened in the comics, Barry disappeared for decades.

The lineup coming is also cool: SHAZAM: FURY OF THE GODS is in December, and then FLASH and then AQUAMAN 2, and then BLUE BEETLE...lost of good stuff on the way.

Edited: for pronouns.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2022 - 02:13 PM

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 October 2022 - 01:59 PM

I was hoping he'd be put in charge of the Troma-verse since they're rebooting The Toxic Avenger, but I guess this is a decent gig too.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2022 - 02:16 PM

View Postworry, on 26 October 2022 - 01:59 PM, said:

I was hoping he'd be put in charge of the Troma-verse since they're rebooting The Toxic Avenger, but I guess this is a decent gig too.

I'm always impressed that the protege of Lloyd Kauffman is the guy who was put in charge of not just some big tentpole Marvel movies for Disney, but DC now too. He's come a long way and I bet Lloyd is proud.

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 October 2022 - 03:57 PM

so this means we have now double the amount of Comic book over saturation coming at us, sweet.

wonder when disney buys DC and starts rolling out the mini tv shows?

I jest.....

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 01:24 PM

Whelp. Cavill is out.

Gunn announced that they have a plan that starts with Superman, and Gunn wants to skew earlier in Superman's life for his take so Cavill doesn't fit.

I think this turfs the entire Snyderverse, and yeah I think that includes The Rock as Black Adam. It DEFINITELY turfs Ezra Miller as Barry after his movie, and I'm assuming Gal and everyone else too. And Momoa was excited because Gunn seemed inclined to have him be Lobo in the new DCU, so I expect Aquaman is a recast too.

It sounds like he wants to KEEP Pattinson as the DCU Batman going forward. Which I like.

And you know what? I get it. As much as I enjoyed many outings in the DCEU, messy as it was, I get that if you want to start fresh you REALLY want to start fresh. If you're Gunn & Safran and you've been handed the 'Kevin Feige' keys and told not to mess it up....and you're choices are "take what worked from the old movies and blaze a new trail from there" or "Use FLASH to CRISIS the shit out of the snydervese, it becomes Earth 2, an you get to cast everyone fresh and make a new story from the beginning".....I know which one I'd choose from a creative standpoint.

I'm sad to see Cavill go. I won't be sad to see Gal walk (she was fine, but never seemed to really shine as the character), and Momoa will be better as Lobo, and the less said about Ezra Miller the better.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 December 2022 - 02:51 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 01:24 PM, said:

Whelp. Cavill is out.

Gunn announced that they have a plan that starts with Superman, and Gunn wants to skew earlier in Superman's life for his take so Cavill doesn't fit.

I think this turfs the entire Snyderverse, and yeah I think that includes The Rock as Black Adam. It DEFINITELY turfs Ezra Miller as Barry after his movie, and I'm assuming Gal and everyone else too. And Momoa was excited because Gunn seemed inclined to have him be Lobo in the new DCU, so I expect Aquaman is a recast too.

It sounds like he wants to KEEP Pattinson as the DCU Batman going forward. Which I like.

And you know what? I get it. As much as I enjoyed many outings in the DCEU, messy as it was, I get that if you want to start fresh you REALLY want to start fresh. If you're Gunn & Safran and you've been handed the 'Kevin Feige' keys and told not to mess it up....and you're choices are "take what worked from the old movies and blaze a new trail from there" or "Use FLASH to CRISIS the shit out of the snydervese, it becomes Earth 2, an you get to cast everyone fresh and make a new story from the beginning".....I know which one I'd choose from a creative standpoint.

I'm sad to see Cavill go. I won't be sad to see Gal walk (she was fine, but never seemed to really shine as the character), and Momoa will be better as Lobo, and the less said about Ezra Miller the better.

DCMU is such a mess...

Ezra Miller's FLASH disaster on every possible front. Cavill as Superman just seems to be an endless source of complications. Ray Fisher v Joss Whedon. Momoa wants to be Lobo not Aquaman. I doubt Ben Affleck cares but if they're punting the rest of his Justice League it would be weird to keep him around instead of Pattison. WW84 isn't Gal Gadot's fault but she'll likely be tossed because of it. Black AdamRock is box office meh.

No pressure on SHAZAM 2 BOOGALO OF THE GODS next year.

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 03:39 PM

From what I understand, Pattinson is the Batman they want to keep and incorporate as the DCU Batman. Everyone else is likely toast.

For SHAZAM, the date shift from December to March smacks of something...so if I had to speculate wildly...they have two optiosn:

1. FLASH retconned with some end-of-film reshoots into a proper CRISIS film that basically resets the entire playing board ...Both AQUAMAN 2 and SHAZAM 2 get similar reshoots to incorporate the CRISIS moments into their endings...BLUE BEETLE escapes largely unscathed into the new DCU as it's not debuting till far enough away and is standalone enough to not have any cameos. I'll be honest, as much as I can see this being a viable, if difficult way to to do it....this is POSSIBLE solely to salvage what's on the DC Sked for 2023....because of they don't do this, then 2023 sked is a wash....which I mean, if you're Zaslav and trying to save money, sending your whole 2023 sked into NEW MUTANTS/DARK PHOENIX territory of "Why should anyone care when a reboot is clearly coming?" is maybe not the best business decision. But I don't know how you salvage big budget 3-4 films and still reboot your whole entire franchise into something new with a new cast if you DON'T CRISIS it up....

2. They ignore ALL that's come before, and start all the way fresh with only Battinson as established Batman, and nothing else.

I'll be honest, I don't even know if PEACEMAKER makes it out of this....the first season ends with a CLEARLY Snyderverse Justice League....even though it's a Gunn vehicle. So I expect that will either wrap after S2, or it's done entirely (again, unless they CRISIS and then it can incorporate CRISIS casting changes).

I know that The Rock and his business partner (ex wife) were actually RIVALS for the Co-CEO job at DC Studios, so expecting BLACK ADAM to sail into the new DCU is maybe wishful thinking...Gunn's wife WAS in it, but I don't think that saves it.

And Gunn & Safran say they have a 10 year plan, and they will announce structure in the new year...so we won't have to wait long to find out....but the very idea of a 10 years plan is already a foot right.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:23 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 03:39 PM, said:

... Gunn & Safran say they have a 10 year plan, and they will announce structure in the new year...so we won't have to wait long to find out....but the very idea of a 10 years plan is already a foot right.

No plan survives contact with the audience.

...or the shareholders.

I think Shazamm got punted because they don't think it will generate holiday season box office dollars, likely because of the neg buzz around Black Adam and WW3-not-to-be and now Superman. March is spring break zone, a decent release time, better than the February Valentine's Day dead zone anyways.

Admittedly the other very real possibility is it's just a bad movie that builds on the sillier/comedic elements of the first film and loses all the heart that made it work because that's just lost on franchise movie execs who want more fart jokes.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2022 - 04:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2022 - 04:23 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2022 - 03:39 PM, said:

... Gunn & Safran say they have a 10 year plan, and they will announce structure in the new year...so we won't have to wait long to find out....but the very idea of a 10 years plan is already a foot right.

No plan survives contact with the audience.

...or the shareholders.

I think Shazamm got punted because they don't think it will generate holiday season box office dollars, likely because of the neg buzz around Black Adam and WW3-not-to-be and now Superman. March is spring break zone, a decent release time, better than the February Valentine's Day dead zone anyways.

Admittedly the other very real possibility is it's just a bad movie that builds on the sillier/comedic elements of the first film and loses all the heart that made it work because that's just lost on franchise movie execs who want more fart jokes.

And for SHAZAM 2 they'd need to remove what I hear is an extensive cameo by Gal's WW...so even tat is up in the air.

But like if G&S announce that their DCU will begin AFTER these movies...that would be weird.

They did a screening of FLASH last week were a previously acknowledged Superman cameo was removed entirely...so they are doing something there... and Aquaman 2 Reshoot costs announced today pushed the budget of that one from 160mil to 206mil...so something happening there too...

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 December 2022 - 11:12 PM

QT or someone could you, for those of us not as heavily knowledgeable, please explain CRISIS?

I know it's Crisis on Infinite Earth's and it's predominately (?) A Flash storyline but all of the JLA is involved. I also know that Flush can travel between earth's (I seem to remember him in some old comics spinning around pretty fast to get between them or something?)

The details, however, I am not too clear on. Idc about spoilers or anything so have at it. Or point me to a good explanation elsewhere if that's ok?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 January 2023 - 01:18 PM

Well, it looks like Zachary Levi knows that SHAZAM 2 (produced under the old regime) is his last kick at the can....cause now he's swinging for the offensive fences with shitty opinions....

Man, the old DC movies really must have some curse...Flash AND Shazam are now complete "burn them off before the reboot" movies that probably won't do well at the BO....I dunno about AQUAMAN 2...

---------------------------------

Bigger news, today is the day we are meant to see James Gunn & Peter Safran's "schedule" for the new rebooted DC studios content...

#16 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 January 2023 - 01:18 PM, said:

Well, it looks like Zachary Levi knows that SHAZAM 2 (produced under the old regime) is his last kick at the can....cause now he's swinging for the offensive fences with shitty opinions....

Man, the old DC movies really must have some curse...Flash AND Shazam are now complete "burn them off before the reboot" movies that probably won't do well at the BO....I dunno about AQUAMAN 2...

Bigger news, today is the day we are meant to see James Gunn & Peter Safran's "schedule" for the new rebooted DC studios content...

Dang I always liked Zachary Levi. I mean he doesn't seem quite so far down the insane right wing rabbit hole as say Gina Carano but it's sad to see someone I respected go that way.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:59 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 31 January 2023 - 03:31 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 January 2023 - 01:18 PM, said:

Dang I always liked Zachary Levi. I mean he doesn't seem quite so far down the insane right wing rabbit hole as say Gina Carano but it's sad to see someone I respected go that way.

There's more than just this too apparently. He actively supports and retweets people like Ben Shapiro, Steven Crowder, and Jordan Peterson...and from what I understand he's been a hard right winger since his CHUCK days (I had no idea), and despite being a hardcore evangelical Christian changed his actor name to Levi (his middle name; his real last name is Pugh) to attempt to court roles under the guise of being Jewish? He sounds like he's been a problem for a long time and people were just generally unaware of his shenanigans. CHUCK I think we forget also starred another hardcore right wing asshole in the form of Adam Baldwin. Oh, and he was on Joe Rogan recently where he said this of Jordan Peterson:

Levi said that he believed the Canadian psychologist is one of the "deepest thinkers" he's ever heard that broke down "human behaviour."

"I think if he would be a person that I would trust — I think that guy has a lot of integrity and it — that would be somebody too, but I also know Jordan has his own things that people have issues with. Like, I get it. Nobody's perfect,"

I live near this asshole (he lived in Belgrade for a few years, but is reportedly back now), and have been aparty to the swirling miasma of his shit because he taught at the University blocks from my house and if he was in the news people talked about it....often...and to hear someone call him a 'deep thinker' makes me wonder what drugs Levi is on...like seriously...but yeah, he essentially went on to defend Peterson dead-naming Elliot Page in a tweet about a surgery the actor had saying "it's his twitter, he can do whatever he wants".....man these people really don't understand that freedom of speech is not freedom of consequences for that speech.

I feel like when these people fall into this shit, they all fall into the same groups of people they listen to and revere...because it's ALL a grift.

#18 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:22 PM

Gunn's plans for the new DCEU sound cracking.

The Authority (presented as the accidental fascists they should be), Booster Gold, and Swamp Thing projects? Yes fucking please.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:31 PM

Okay, heres the announcement.

CREATIVE COMMANDOES (animated HBO Max series; 7 episodes) It will follow the adventures of Rick Flagg Sr. (who’ll appear in other projects), Dr. Phosphorus, Nina Mazursky, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein (described as the lead of the show), G.I. Robot, and Weasel.

WALLER (Live action HBO Max show) Viola David will reprise the role.

SUPERMAN: LEGACY (Theatrical film) - Gunn said that it will be about Superman reckoning his Kryptonian heritage with his human youth, and that to him Superman is of a level of kindness that the world thinks is old-fashioned...so yeah, sounds like ALL STAR SUPERMAN levels? Either way.

LANTERNS (Live Action HBO Max show) - a "True Detective" type show but with superheroes that will feature John Stewart and Hal Jordan. The Earth-based show will see the two Lanterns who are “basically super cops on precinct Earth” telling a story about some kind of “ancient core” that is crucial to the overall story that the DCU is telling.

THE AUTHORITY (Theatrical film) - Yep. You read that right. We are getting a fucking Ellis Authority movie...Amazing.

PARADISE LOST (A live action HBO show) - Wonder Woman stuff. They've been in contact with Gal, but have made no castings yet (I don't imagine she'll reprise).

THE BRAVE & THE BOLD (Theatrical Film) - A Batman & Robin story that seems to be based on Morrison's B&R run, as it features Damian Wayne in the Robin role, and PROBABLY Dick Grayson's Batman (sidebar: Gunn says that the Robert Pattinson Batman will exist in his own pocket universe of crime movies) since Pattinson is staying as Batman in non-DCU connected material.

BOOSTER GOLD (Live action HBO Max show) - You know what Booster's about. No casting news yet.

SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW (Theatrical film) - This is based on Tom King's run of the same name, where Kara is not needed on an earth where Superman exists, so she travels in space and sees to helping other planets. As a SG fan, it's a great run and a good choice for a movie. It leans towards darker initially due to Kara's being stuck in a piece of Krypton for years before being freed, but it's not all doom and gloom either.

SWAMP THING (Theatrical Film) - “This is a film that will investigate the dark origins of Swamp Thing,” Safran said. “It’s important to point out that in these stories, although interconnected, they’re not all tonally the same. So each set of filmmakers brings their own aesthetic to these films and the fun is seeing how these totally different works mash-up in the future.”

The only date I could find for this stuff is Superman is scheduled for 2025, and CREATIVE COMMANDOES is written and has art already done apparently.

Oh, and the whole thing is not going by "Phases" like Marvel, this schedule of ten projects will be called CHAPTER ONE: GODS & MONSTERS.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 January 2023 - 05:39 PM

#20 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 January 2023 - 11:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 January 2023 - 05:31 PM, said:

SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW (Theatrical film) - This is based on Tom King's run of the same name, where Kara is not needed on an earth where Superman exists, so she travels in space and sees to helping other planets. As a SG fan, it's a great run and a good choice for a movie. It leans towards darker initially due to Kara's being stuck in a piece of Krypton for years before being freed, but it's not all doom and gloom either.

Was there more to his run than the 8-issue limited series (that the image art is also from) collected in the trade? Coz that does have her in space helping other planets, but it doesn't have the trapped on a bit of Krypton part. She just goes to a red-sun planet on her 21st birthday because she wants to get drunk, and then gets caught up in a revenge plot.

Looks like Paradise Lost is a prequel before Diana was born/created, so decisions on Gal Gadot coming back or not won't need to be made just yet.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users