• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Foundation TV series

#1 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 13 December 2021 - 05:20 PM

So I couldn't find a thread for this... maybe i'm looking at the wrong place.

But has anyone watched the TV series by apple?

#2 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:08 AM

Seen it, its high budget and it got some interesting parts.

There is not very much left of the Foundation books in it however which might be a good thing or a bad thing depending. I personally found it rather half-done like a lot of recent book adaptations I wonder if the writers even read the source material and if they did, did they understood it?

This post has been edited by Chance: 14 December 2021 - 06:08 AM

#3 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 December 2021 - 11:02 AM

I thought it was very good. Inspired casting for Brother Day.

They have changed a lot. A lot. From the books. But I think it's a good thing all in all, as the books would be hard to turn into a tv-show without serious changes anyways.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#4 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 14 December 2021 - 04:53 PM

I've seen the first episode so far. I got exactly what I was looking for, pure eye candy.

#5 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 14 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

I enjoyed everything to do with Lee Pace, mini Lee Pace, and older Lee Pace, but everything set on Terminus wasn't quite as good.

#6 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:11 AM

Everything to do with the emperor I liked. Well acted and well cast.

but to echo earlier comments, I wasn't a fan of the terminus stuff.

Also what sorted annoyed me is there seem to be quite a few substantial departures between the source material and the show and I dont think those departures made for a better story. The whole subplot with the mathematician girl... worked for first episode as a way of dealing with exposition, but after that... I just found myself wanting to hit fast forward

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 16 December 2021 - 03:15 AM

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 01:49 PM

I dropped off this way back when, but seeing as the next season is about to drop I'm back in and enjoying.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 July 2023 - 01:00 PM

Finished Season 1 last night and I REALLY enjoyed this. Once I disconnected it from the books (which is easy to do as they kind of take elements of the books to tell a more cohesive story that doesn't jump around as much) I had a blast. The visuals were next level gorgeous, some of the shots feel like they could easily have been 70's or 80's Sci-fi book cover paintings. Lee Pace is exquisite, as are Terrence Mann, and actually and especially Cassian Bilton as Dawn, who in the last 3 episodes or so delivers a MASTERCLASS in emotional acting juxtaposed against himself in some scenes playing cold and unyielding.

I cannot wait for Season 2, which starts to drop on Friday.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 12 July 2023 - 03:42 PM

I've been sat on this not sure whether to watch or not, had season one there for months but not dived in yet.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 July 2023 - 04:16 PM

View Postchamp, on 12 July 2023 - 03:42 PM, said:

I've been sat on this not sure whether to watch or not, had season one there for months but not dived in yet.

You have to leave any knowledge of the books on the floor. This is not an adaptation, but is more using the concepts, characters and ideas to tell a story that will work with actors playing roles on a TV show. So it's different but the spirit is there for me.

#11 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 July 2023 - 04:47 PM

Hrm, I must confess that that description is not selling it for me. The Foundation series was one of my earliest and memorable introductions into SF, so I am not keen of another 'in the spirit of but not quite' tv production.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 July 2023 - 05:13 PM

View PostGorefest, on 12 July 2023 - 04:47 PM, said:

Hrm, I must confess that that description is not selling it for me. The Foundation series was one of my earliest and memorable introductions into SF, so I am not keen of another 'in the spirit of but not quite' tv production.

To be fair, the first book alone has like 3 massive time jumps that would require a whole cast, and setting change....that's simply not feasible in an episodic TV show if you want to keep your audience, so they've taken elements of PRELUDE (namely Cleon) and made the Galactic Empire being him as played by three actors at different times in life as clones so that the "empire" of the story can be the same actor/actors over multiple seasons of story...and they've done some time jumpy/cryo-stasis stuff to keep the actors paying Gaal, Salvor, and obviously Seldon as the same people.

Honestly, the books are decidedly dry for a TV series....and philosophical sci-fi doesn't always translate...so this works for me as they've taken the building blocks of this series and used them to tell a similar, but ultimately different story...

YMMV though if you're an old-school fan and might not be able to disconnect what you know from the books and what's in the show.

#13 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 July 2023 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, I appreciate the practicalities. It was never the obvious go-to series for audiovisual entertainment, it is very concept driven. I may give it a shot sometime, it's just that life is short and my to see list is bloody longPosted Image
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users